• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Cathedrals of the Mind

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There’s a Concept that we play out ideas in internal “Cathedrals of the Mind where we test out our ideas for critique and improvements.

I want to build 3 such structures, large scale, for people to visit to muse, appreciate art, contemplate and have sanctuary.

I am planning to show this with another work, in 2020 in Venice Italy.

The center structure will lean to the right a further 30 degrees and a diagonal fissure on the side will gush water to a pool below.

I am having glass blown for the Cathedral windows.

The finish will be rust.

Asher

Asher Kelman

The first model, 2ft high, I carved in wood. This is made of aluminum, flat sheets cut and welded to match the wood.

After this is completed I will begin a new iteration in Corten rusty steel, 30ft high. All recessed or “torn” parts will be with mirror-finished stainless steel.

More attention will be made to inside surfaces, massive handblown glass windows, sounds from brass meditation bowls and lighting.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks James!

I too am excited to see the windows be fitted in!

Also the rip in the side of the center one to make the waterfall!

Asher

Asher Kelman

This is just amazing! Asher, you are a very talanted creative person!!!
Thanks so much Julianne for the words of encouragement.

Doing such art is somewhat like putting one’s outstretched foot in the deep water, being certain that somehow one can wiggle one’s ankle and find another rock to stand on!

Asher

Asher Kelman

This was an opening yesterday in Beverly Hills California of a preview of my new work for the ECC Architecture and Sculpture Biennale Exhibition, Venice, Italy late May to November 2020.

Asher Kelman: “Cathedrals of the Mind”
Aluminum and Glass

Unfinished Preview #1
Beverly Hills, CA

February 2020

Aluminum and Glass

Unfinished Preview #2
Beverly Hills, CA

February 2020

I have to decide now on the finishes and I sent the glass and lights.

Asher

Jerome Marot

After this is completed I will begin a new iteration in Corten rusty steel, 30ft high. All recessed or “torn” parts will be with mirror-finished stainless steel.

It is difficult to imagine the final product from the photographs of the model, but are you sure you can weld stainless steel with non-stainless steel without the result corroding at the seam or else? What about trying with a small piece and letting it near the sea for accelerated ageing?

Asher Kelman

It is difficult to imagine the final product from the photographs of the model, but are you sure you can weld stainless steel with non-stainless steel without the result corroding at the seam or else? What about trying with a small piece and letting it near the sea for accelerated ageing?
This is made of aluminum so I can fly to Italy without expensive weight.

However, the next version for 2020-2021 is 30 ft high in 316L stainless steel or rusted Corten finish, which weld together perfectly.

The mirror polish of 326L can be refreshened after 10 years or so and my red or yellow beautiful powder coating, (using salt spray and UV resistant pigments), can be redone every 20 years or so. But rust is not a big problem.

I am not willing to use ordinary steel which rusts easily as then one is putting up something that requires infinite maintenance and predicts likelihood of a City removing it from display sooner than one would hope!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jerome, it may surprise you that one can join steel to aluminum by an immense pressure procedure in which the two metals fuse at the seam and there is no electrical circuits forming to initiate corrosion.

In addition, I use insulating collars between even supposedly same composition steels, as I don’t believe 100%, the manufactures claims of “stability”. I treat the steel as if I was making a treatment for a patient and so I am extremely risk averse.

Asher

Jerome Marot

We were not talking about joining steel to aluminium, but standard and stainless steel together and leaving the sculpture outside where the stainless steel part should stay shiny.

Asher Kelman

We were not talking about joining steel to aluminium, but standard and stainless steel together and leaving the sculpture outside where the stainless steel part should stay shiny.
Jérôme,

I have made that bad error of using regular steel outdoors once and that’s enough!

I no longer use anything but stainless steel as I have no organization in place and available for complaints and long term maintenance.

I now build to last for a century or more with a book of engineering and maintenance for the owner.

It take the same time to build out of lasting materials so the short term gains in cost savings are not worth it to me, compared to the haunting specter of righteous indignation. By folk at the first signs of rust, LOL!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well now with small towns in Italy under quarantine, we are hearing of exhibitions and international shows being cancelled!

So I wonder whether I should put of planning to show my work in Venice?

Almost completed. Just adding supporting columns, glass and lighting.

Asher Kelman: “The Conversation”

The Marquette is complete, from 1” round steel, but only 5ft Long.

I have started building the larger actual exhibition piece. It’s going to be 10 ft wide and of 3” stainless steel.

But we are somewhat hesitant at joining the melange of visitors and cruise ship mass tourists.

Que je fasse?

Asher

Asher Kelman

CF8D5C1A-630C-41E6-BF68-4B5E0988E985.jpeg

Asher Kelman: Rotating Function Added
I have decided to rotate the building in the center above a wide fixed central entrance column.

This allows for a waterfall, (to the right of the fixed central column), rotating with the building. To balance that I elevated the structure on the right.

One enters through that fixed center column!

Sudden evolution of my design yesterday!

Asher

Asher Kelman

AEF01021-E39D-4FE3-8C44-7D7FF275A810.jpeg

Nicolas Claris asked about the original carved models for these structures. So here they are.

1959714C-80A2-4E24-88F7-B0F52B38C754.jpeg

583653C5-598A-48DB-AB50-1BDB3AFC4BA5.jpeg

E80C0BFA-1832-46F4-8F13-3D95F437A079.jpeg

39BFF490-FA80-4104-9DBE-97F2F149C923.jpeg

The central piece ends up being horizontal and the most further developed.

D0A57477-2851-4388-8789-2FC7CC596C91.jpeg

Jerome Marot

Excuse me, but I am not sure I understand.

So we have 3 volumes with flat faces and grid-like applications. This is what I see. Apparently, the orientation of the volumes and their respective positions can change, as you changed it yourself.

Would you explain us what you have in mind? Your other sculptures were comparatively easier to understand. For example "puff of wind" is a sailboat and turns in the wind. Easy. But this?

Asher Kelman

These are spaces for meditation.

One with sound and music or voice performance.

The center one for visual art with stained glass art and light shows. That one rotates and has a waterfalls under which kids can play.

The 3rd, “Enigma”, is interactive with challenging “puzzles“ to engage strangers.

The idea is that these should be curated by the Museum of Art of the City and continuously updated from artists worldwide.

These are meant to be different escape areas from City life, for tranquility and musing in a diverse manner of ways with the most interesting new Art one can find.

Asher

Jerome Marot

OK. So, they are a bit larger than I thought.

But you are describing the inside of the finished product, not the volumes themselves. Why do they have these particular shapes?

Asher Kelman

OK. So, they are a bit larger than I thought.

But you are describing the inside of the finished product, not the volumes themselves. Why do they have these particular shapes?
Thanks for asking.

I will try to relate how this evolved.

I completed a new building and had 3 pieces of lumber left over, that my son saved for me from the dumpster.

I have been asked to make sculptures to seed a new sculpture garden, and I thought that 15-20 ft high version of what I imagined would make maquettes for some really ambitious buildings.

I wanted them in metal so that the surfaces would be clean and durable and stand out against the Pacific Coastal Landscape, clearly differentiated from other Building structures folk were used to seeing. The windows are not rectilinear, but uniquely curved, and hopefully more “biological“. It’s an homage to biological forms while maintaining a varied and sharply angular rectilinear form that's in contrast to the curving shape of the land and shoreline.

They are ambitious containers for future art!

asher

This was an opening yesterday in Beverly Hills California of a preview of my new work for the ECC Architecture and Sculpture Biennale Exhibition, Venice, Italy late May to November 2020.

View attachment 3498

Aluminum and Glass

Unfinished Preview #1
Beverly Hills, CA

February 2020

View attachment 3499

Aluminum and Glass

Unfinished Preview #2
Beverly Hills, CA

February 2020

I have to decide now on the finishes and I sent the glass and lights.

Asher
Incredible work asher! they look just beautiful!