• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge, Sports, Showing Super-Competitiveness 2006_08 Sports Super Competitive_01

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
1. Challenge, Sports, Showing Super-Competitiveness 2006_08 Sports Super Competitive_01 Your image can have been taken on any date, all the way back to the beginning of the 20th century as long as you shot it!

2. Aim high, but don't be shy or hold back. The images cannot be snapshots. They have to be of a quality one would expect to be able to sell or show in a gallery. If in doubt, send the image to me first, but don't get mad at me if I decline. That's just my opinion, not the truth in any way.

3. 800 pixels largest side, jpg, sRGB, sharpened

4. Label your image, embedded in one image edge, e.g. John Smith © 2006_08 Wildlife Portrait_01

5. Add a TITLE in text below the image, e.g., "Racing for the finish." or "Tackle and Pivot"

6. Post by linking. Up to 3 entries per photographer.

7. Images deemed, subjectively, not to fit in with the challenge might be removed. (If there is big doubt, email the image to me first at w84u at mac.com.)

8. When we have enough entries, we will have the voting.

Asher

Last edited:

Roger Lambert

Hi Asher

Does the title of the challenge imply that all photographs submitted must be new photographs taken during August of 2006?

Thanks for running a challenge - great idea!

Roger

Asher Kelman

"Your image can have been taken on any date, all the way back to the beginning of the 20th century as long as you shot it!" has been added to the instructions. Thanks for pointing this out. I appreciate the help.

Asher

Last edited:

Nill Toulme

Heck I don't understand the labeling stuff but I'll get things going...

Nill's Image #1
1d2-26486_std.jpg

Nill's Image #2
1d2-51154_std.jpg

Nill's Image #3
1d2-42708_std.jpg

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Asher Kelman

Nill Toulme said:
Asher what's the purpose of the "Label your image, embedded in one image edge" requirement?

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Nil,

This may be a pain, and you can always swop it later. It is to protect the copyright © of your work. I have already found that where an image had been downloaded for editing and reposted, the person had just put the image up on his website with no reference to the original artist. This can lead to loss of copyright as the image might be said to be in the public domain.

Now one might say, I am giving this picture away right now when I post it in OPF because I feel like it. That, in itself is harmless. Except here, it might build up a lax attitude toward respect of other people's rights.

So we need to establish absolute respect for the creative rights of each photographer, donate our edits and suggestions to that photographer and eschew any degradation of those rights.

OPF and photographers here have defined USE RIGHTS ONLY limited and constrained by the purpose of the post, which is to see the artists work on OPF. It cannot be used to enhance one's own portfolio elsewhere. Actually a link should be provided to the OPF thread when it is on another website for the purpose of hosting someone else's file for linking to an OPF thread.

We should do that!

Asher

Nill Toulme

As I recall the Terms of Use it's pretty clear that we all retain our respective copyrights to posted images. And I don't think someone can direct link to the image on OPF because you're not hosting the images. If you start doing that I guess it could change, but for now if someone direct links to my image it'll be a link to my server, not to OPF (and I'll see them in my server logs).

FM has a flyover in its posted images code that tosses up "This image is copyrighted by the owner" when you mouse hover, for whatever that's worth.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

So as not to get really O.T., I'm qualifying my words here, not in a new post. I'm not talking about "show and tell" threads like this. Just in the Critique Requests and Challenges, where, at the creator's request, edits/processes and then one needs to repost. Right now, we don't host all these images. So we need to have links back to the thread at OPF as well as give attribution.

In the future we may host all these images.

Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Lashier

Asher Kelman said:
This may be a pain, and you can always swop it later. It is to protect the copyright © of your work. I have already found that where an image had been downloaded for editing and reposted, the person had just put the image up on his website with no reference to the original artist. This can lead to loss of copyright as the image might be said to be in the public domain.

Lack of notice does not lead to loss of copyright for works published after March 1989, but it's still a good idea because an infringer can't claim mitigation based on innocence. http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#noc

- DL

Asher Kelman

Nill,

The floating © trick would be a great addition.

In your image #2 I'd love to know what the physics is to keep that girl in red from falling. We think of cats being agile. To my mind, this is pretty good overwhelming of gravity!

Asher

Roger Lambert

Another submission for the challenge...

Here is another submission for the challenge, from the Golden Gloves Vermont State Championships.

My joke, when I show prints of this photo to folks, is, " After the fight, I was going to ask Chopper if his Mommy embroidered his name into his trunks for him, but decided discretion was the better part of valor". :D
large.jpg

Roger Lambert

Asher Kelman said:
So chopper got a broken nose! Where were you and with what lens?

Asher

I was ring-side , at Memorial Auditorium in Burlington, Vermont, leaning over the apron with my 24-70L on a 20D using a 580 flash, underneath the bottom ring rope, with the flash oriented against the floor so the ring rope would not block it.

It was about the most exhausting thing imaginable - a very contorted body position, trying to follow the action around through that viewfinder. I soon gave up trying to use an on-board flash - I'm afraid to say I just couldn't take it!

When I look at professional boxing I never see anyone contorted like that - the lighting is much better, and everyone uses available light, and big bright lenses.

This shot was one of the few that I used flash on. It doesn't quite look it here, but it is quite sharp - it looks good at 18". The flash allowed a much faster shutter than the available light at the venue.

I was reviewing some of the shots, deciding which ones to post here - sometimes I was shooting at ISO 3200, , fully open, and still managing only 1/40th or 1/30. And then still underexposing by several stops. Other shots were better.

I used either a 24-70L or a Canon 50 1.4 for the shoot. :)

BTW, Chopper got a broken nose, but as I recall, the other guy made out a lot worse. :D

Best regards,

Roger Lambert

Roger Lambert

Asher Kelman said:
Did you use any customized functions for focus points/ fn #4?

Asher

Yes, Asher, as I recall, I had the focus on the * button, and the camera was on AI Focus or AI Servo - I can't remember. I was using One Shot drive, because I looked at my unprocessed pix today and there were not multiple shots of any of the boxers - just singles.

Does that address your question? It was a 20D, so it has less options for choosing focus points than the 1-series. I hope I understood the thrust of your question correctly. :)

Best regards,

Roger Lambert

Thanks, Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

Continuing the horse theme.....

sports01.jpg

This was taken at the 2006 Bramham Horse Trials, UK. A lot of the riders came off at this jump complex, but this was one of those who didn't!

Ivan Garcia

THE HEAT IS ON

IMG_0823.jpg

Taken last year at Silverstone
Eos 20D 100-400mmL
This is one of my favorites F1 pictures I was able to get behind the fencing for this shot.
I hope it meets your standards
IGD

Last edited:

Don Lashier

Ivan Garcia said:
Taken last year at Silverstone
Eos 20D 100-400mmL
This is one of my favorites F1 pictures I was able to get behind the fencing for this shot.
I hope it meets your standards
IGD
Ivan, it perhaps sets a new standard. This is one of the finest motorsports images I have seen. Not only the subject, but the background is perfect also - I particularly like the heat waves.

- DL

Ivan Garcia

Thank you Don... It was taken during the traditional September F1 test here in England... the lens was wide open and iso @800... For some extraordinary reason this lens is not even halve as sharp on my 5D (also the 5D has more noise at iso higher than 400)

Great shot Ivan. Perfect composition. The photo is perfect. Raised towards the left side, in the same way that the driver turns the steering wheel.Luis
Jose

Nill Toulme

The G-forces were so strong they tilted the picture! Which leads me to wonder — why are so many motorsports pix tilted like this? Why is it OK in motorsports photography but not generally so elsewhere? And has it become something of a cliché in that context?

None of this is meant to take away from what I consider a terrific shot Ivan. It's just something I've wondered about, and this shot reminded me of that wonderment.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Don Lashier

Nill Toulme said:
Which leads me to wonder — why are so many motorsports pix tilted like this?

I think it fits the dynamics of the picture - the natural instinct in a highspeed turn is to lean (and then you see a tilted world), and tilting the image reinforces this urge. This shot wouldn't be nearly so dynamic if leveled.

- DL

Nill Toulme

But then it's leaning the wrong way isn't it? Or is the effect to make the viewers feel like we're leaning into the turn also? Note the driver is more or less vertical, so the viewer is oriented similarly to the driver.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net