• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Compost bin lid life

Paul Iddon

This afternoon on my compost bin.

Two globular springtail head-dancing - or whatever it is they are really doing... courting of course! Deutosminthurinus pallipes, maybe.

Teniuphantes species of spider.

A vivid coloured larva in the same place (with an Orchesella cincta passing by to give some size comparison).

A green thing is an early instar nymph of Cicadellidae, ca. Empoasca etc.

meeting_4k_1800-X3.jpg

spiderbin2_4k_1800-X3.jpg

spiderbin1_4k_1800-X3.jpg

vividcrawler_4k_1800-X3.jpg

vividcrawler1_4k_1800-X3.jpg

greenthing_4k_1800-X3.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fabulous community. Are they all vegetarians or some predators and how do they arrive at the bin?

Asher

Paul Iddon

Springtails are generally veggies. The last bug feasts on plant sap. The pink thing? Could be a herbivore....

Spiders hunt as we know.

I'm not sure how they got there most of these. The spider could have dropped form the plants above, the others - well your guess would be as good as mine...

Paul.

Paul Iddon

Around the compost bin, there's plenty going on...

There's a crab spider, a beetle of some kind (unknown just now) and a harvestman, then in the soil itself there is at least 3 to see (an elongate springtail and more to be ID'd) then a mirid bug, and some mixed blessings as 2 springtails go a-courting.

crabbyspider1_4k_1800PNG-X3.png

pointedbeetle_4k_1800PNG-X3.png

Pil0_4k_1800PNG-X3.png

Pil01_4k_1800PNG-X3.png

cornucopia_4k_1800PNG-X3.png

miridmountain_4k_1800PNG-X3.png

more_love_4k_1800PNG-X3.png

Paul.

Last edited: