• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

DJI Mini 3 Pro Drone - a prize!

Paul Iddon

I entered a Christmas competition on a photo website here in England (Ephotozine) and blow me away, I won a (like new) Mini 3 Pro from MPB Photographic!

Now that's what I call good luck!

Anyway, I have never considered having or using a drone, so it will be a new experience for me to give it a go.

I've taken the CAA test and registered an Operator ID and Flyer ID, and now its been delivered and the batteries are charged up, it is time to dip my toes in new waters!

Here are my first 3 attempts at taking the DJI Mini Pro 3 drone on it's inaugural flights. I'm astonished at how stable the drone is in flight.

My editing skills are not up to much, nor is my drone flying!

The Ribble Estuary, Preston:

Avenham Park is on the edge of the city of Preston in Lancashire (England).

Went up to White Coppice, near Chorley for a play with the drone and its 3rd flight...

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Good job, Paul!

What a wonderful reward for you photography submission. Was it your macro work. I hope you might post the winning pictures, if you havnt done so already!

Such an absorbing 3 flights. Thr last one, matched with thr music, “Sail Away” is so restful, bucolic and enjoyable.

I realize they the drone takes back “Right of Access” to tgr common man, tgst rich landowners and gentry have stolen from thr General population!

Did you program each flight or steer live the entire time?

Asher

Paul Iddon

It was an annual competition like an advent calendar, so not actually a submission of photos.

The drone was all my own flying.

Paul.

Paul Iddon

What is an advent calendar?

Traditional advent calendars (meant to be for kids) are used in December, and have 25 small hidden boxes inside of each is a small piece of chocolate. You open one a day and on the 25th it's a bigger piece!

The competition had virtual online boxes and behind each day was a sponsored prize .

Paul.

Asher Kelman

Traditional advent calendars (meant to be for kids) are used in December, and have 25 small hidden boxes inside of each is a small piece of chocolate. You open one a day and on the 25th it's a bigger piece!

The competition had virtual online boxes and behind each day was a sponsored prize .

Paul.
Is this something to do with the Church as Dec 25th is Christmas Day!

I will try to educate myself!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Got it! Advent is the prelude to the story of the birth of Jesus in the Christian religion!

Hmm I am ignorant!

Glad you took part in this interesting competition. Do folk pay or do the presents or prizes generally get donated? A drone is a very generous and wonderful gift! I love it!

Is this a regular part of everyone’s calendar in the UK.

Didn’t hear about it in my schools in London, just Chistmas, Lent and Easter!

Asher

Paul Iddon

Got it! Advent is the prelude to the story of the birth of Jesus in the Christian religion!

Hmm I am ignorant!

Glad you took part in this interesting competition. Do folk pay or do the presents or prizes generally get donated? A drone is a very generous and wonderful gift! I love it!

Is this a regular part of everyone’s calendar in the UK.

Didn’t hear about it in my schools in London, just Christmas, Lent and Easter!

Asher

The prizes in the competition are by sponsors - when you enter, you get taken to the page where they sell the goods from. It is free to enter.

Most youngsters will have an advent calendar - it's hard for kids to resist chocolates! The calendars all follow a theme - open a box each date during December.

Attachments

• shopping.jpg
    shopping.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 70

Paul Iddon

Garstang - England.

Few would know that Garstang has its very own castle... The castle was pulled down by order of Cromwell and all that now remains is the ruin like a broken tooth...

The town stands on the River Wyre, the Lancaster canal, and the West Coast mainline railway and is 10 miles south of Lancaster and 11 miles north of Preston. The name Garstang may have sprung from the Saxon word “Gaerstung” meaning common land or meadowland. The Doomsday Book describes it as 'Cherestanc'. In 1310 Edward II first granted the Market Charter to the town.

Paul.

Paul Iddon

The octagonal Jubilee Tower on Beacon Hill, overlooking the town of Darwen, was completed in 1898 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee and also to celebrate the victory of the local people for the right to access the moor. It was opened to the public on September 22 1898. Standing 85ft in height, walkers can climb to the top of the tower via the internal staircase to admire the breath-taking views of the surrounding moorland. Music: Amarantine by Enya.

Asher Kelman

Paul,

These are magnificent steady views. Have you tried filming animals, perhaps starting with cows, sheep and perhaps then dogs, cats and rabbits.

I’d be mose interested in being able to lock in on birds such as an eagle, ducks in a pond or birds in trees. Do these devices have sufficient telephoto reach and can they be quiet enough for birding?

Is it legal to fly over zoos?

Asher

Paul Iddon

It's not regarded as "good" if it may affect wildlife. I've got a short distance to some birds but even these (gulls) took flight...

Paul.

Asher Kelman

Yes, in general it’s a risk. In California all this years 800 eggs of a common non-threatened tern were lost this year by a drone crashing into the nesting area!

But could it be made safe for say common hawks at a distance.

How about with a very light M43 camera and and 800 mm equivalent lens. That, if it was far away, could watch a bird feeding without frightening it? Assuming thr 5 axis stabilization works.

But I agree it could be a disaster for nesting birds!

Asher

lisawhite87

Congratulations on winning the DJI Mini 3 Pro Drone from MPB Photographic in the Christmas competition on Ephotozine! It's incredible how luck can surprise us sometimes!

As someone new to the world of drones, you're about to embark on an exciting journey. It's great to hear that you've already taken the CAA test and registered as an Operator and Flyer - safety first!

Now that the drone has been delivered and the batteries charged, it's time for the maiden flights! It's natural to feel a mix of excitement and nerves, but don't worry; practice makes perfect!

You mentioned being astonished at how stable the DJI Mini Pro 3 is during flight - that's one of its standout features! Its stability allows for smoother shots, making it easier to capture stunning aerial footage.

Even if you feel your editing skills and drone flying abilities are still developing, remember that every flight is an opportunity to improve. With time and practice, you'll master both aspects and capture breathtaking visuals.

Explore different locations and angles, experiment with different flight modes, and enjoy the freedom of capturing unique perspectives from above. Drones offer an incredible creative outlet!

Feel free to share your progress and experiences with the drone community; they can be a great source of advice and inspiration.

Best of luck on your drone journey! Happy flying and happy capturing!

Paul Iddon

St Walburge's Church, Preston, the third tallest spire in the UK.​

St Walburge’s was designed by the architect Joseph Hansom and completed in 1854.

At a towering 309 ft, it is the tallest of any parish church in England. This spectacular spire is also the third tallest in the UK, giving you breathtaking views over the city. is a major, unique attraction for visitors who can climb the 173 spiral steps to obtain a magnificent 360 degree view over Preston city and westwards to Blackpool and the Irish Sea coast.

St Walburge's is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building.

The rose window is a beautifully-coloured circular window, 22 feet in diameter. The colour of the spire contrasts to that of the main body of the church because it’s made of a different stone- a limestone full of fossils. The Medieval leper hospital of St Mary Magdalene once stood here.

Music: Enya - So I Could Find My Way.

Paul.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Paul,

This is such enjoyable art and is uplifting to the spirits.

How did you plan the flight or was just minute by minute control on a joystick?

What's that lovely song?

Do you have to book in flight time with the local aeronautical authority or its sufficient that you past some exam?

Asher

Paul Iddon

The flight had no planned route - I just take the drone where I get nice visuals. The control has 2 joysticks and a a couple of other controls.

The song is by Enya - So I Could Find My Way.

There are hundreds of red NFZ's (no fly zones) which I can't enter across the UK, including one just a few miles from where I live, and there are blue restricted zones for which the pilot has to ask permission to enter, which is not always grranted.

Paul.

Paul Iddon

Buried... Preston's Real Life Witch... A must see to the very end...

Meg Shelton (died 1705) known as the "Fylde Hag" was an English woman accused of witchcraft. Her grave can be seen at St. Anne's Church in Woodplumpton, now part of the City of Preston district of Lancashire. Meg Shelton's real name is recorded by St Anne's Church as Margery Hilton.

The Woodplumpton 'witch' is reputedly buried upside down with a boulder on her grave...

Accused of using witchcraft to destroy crops, steal milk and transform herself into animals, Meg Shelton was subject of many fantastical tales and stories. Most traditions have her body being found crushed against her cottage wall by a barrel. According to some versions of the story, the unusual death was seen by villagers as a sign that the Devil had come to claim her.

Meg Shelton was buried in St Anne's churchyard, but her body refused to stay underground. The following morning, her corpse was found lying beside her grave. She was reburied, and once more her corpse reappeared. Finally, the priest performed an exorcism and Shelton was buried for the third time, but this time she was interred in a narrow vertical hole, like an oversized post hole, and she was inserted upside down, so that if she tried to dig her way to the surface she'd be going the wrong way. Finally, a boulder was placed over the top of her unusually-shaped grave.

You'll see her tomb three or four times in my flight... Can you spot it??? Dare you look?