• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Doors! Handsome, beautiful, decayed, prison or palace, even stolen!

Donna Hudson

_DSC5976_4_5-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Donna,

A good subject and apt for B&W. Tell us where this is! Obviously not such a good neighborhood, by the looks of the metal grill. The patina and shadows are interesting. So, why not the whole door? Was this a vacation shot or for some project?

Asher

The other side of the tracks

I do not know what this building was once used for but it had to be loud. Richmond, Texas

twowhitedoors-2.jpg

DLibrach

I'll keep my comments brief as per directed.

Donna, what a wonderful door. The building looks like it would have many stories to tell.

James. It's hard to keep it short here, but all I can say is that the feeling it evokes is one of a rather loud silence. I know it may not make sense but that is the only way I can describe it.

Cheers,
D

Mission Doorway

At the Mission San Jose mission in Fremont, CA

4541907-md.jpg

Shot with Argus C-3 f/16 @ 1/300 on Tri-X developed in HC-110

John Angulat

pro member
Interesting Entryway...

Storefront entrance vestibule/alcove. Building was abandoned and unoccupied so there's no clue to the tiled message. I came back to the area (Yonkers, NY downtown) at a later date and the building had been demolished...now we'll never know.

angulatX083.jpg

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Donna,
Nice image, I like the details. IMO - if you could push the contrast up a bit I think it might look even better.
HDR? If so, what did you use?

Asher Kelman

Donna,

This is likely one of a few you took at this location. I'd like to see more. Doors are excellent subjects. The top panel seems to have a boy stretching out in a white form.

Asher

Walt Conley

Gate hinge, Nijo Castle, Japan. Taken with my second digital camera, an Olympus C3040Z.

original.jpg

Unhinged

The door on this Idaho ruin appears to be hanging on by a single screw. I suspect the next time I pass by it will down and invisible.

Just a record shot taken from a public, dirt road. The building is on private property and unapproachable.
Comments welcome.

original.jpg

Sony DSLR-A700:1/500s f/8.0 at 100.0mm iso800

Asher Kelman

The door on this Idaho ruin appears to be hanging on by a single screw. I suspect the next time I pass by it will down and invisible.

Just a record shot taken from a public, dirt road. The building is on private property and unapproachable.
Comments welcome.

original.jpg

Sony DSLR-A700:1/500s f/8.0 at 100.0mm iso800
Hi Winston,

The fact that the place wasn't that approachable allowed you to make a picture within the buildings context. This way the doors have their own place and there's provenance. So we see a door leaning free in the building. The doorway is open as is the roof and this is set in an unkempt landscape which is taking back the entire structure.

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

Asher Kelman

...along a peaceful Savannah side street. The colors were very Bermuda-esque.

savannah1sm.jpg

D200, ISO100, 28mm f/8.0, 1/45
What a bright and colorful set of doors! I thought, at first this was somewhere in San Francisco. Maybe it is. It does appear show a great deal of emotional confidence of the inhabitants and that they might at least communicate!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

rileys_06.jpg

Hi Daniel,

Where is this remarkable wooden house? The placement of stuff outside would make it appear that this is in a settlement area tourists can visit, it's a very isolated spot that no one would steal from or else this is a private place where you can arrange things? In any case, that detail gives the appearance of life, as if refreshments were there for folk on the porch.

Asher

Last edited:

Walt Conley

There are some great doors here. This is a door I found in the "dungeon" of the 15th century Scotish castle Château de Cherveux located in Poitiers France, naturally lit from the unseen window to the right. It was taken with a Pentax 645 and scanned from a photo. If I remember right, this was a 20-30 second exposure. The Château is now a B&B and well worth the visit if you are in the Loire Valley.

original.jpg

Asher Kelman

original.jpg

Here the door is abandoned against the wall and light from a high window set a long shadow on the wall. I wonder how dark the print is? I like it. Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Last edited:

Walt Conley

Thanks Asher. This is very close to the print (on my monitor) lacking only a little detail above and left of the arch. I printed the original at a time when many of my B&Ws were fairly dark but in this one I wanted to capture the mystery of the location and keep hidden as much as was revealed.

Wendy Thurman

Portes de Paris

............... I was in Paris last week and while I have the requisite tourist photos, I got very interested in the doors of Paris. ... I posted 3 here as Paris deserves its own thread, here's the 3rd]:

DSC_0694bw.jpg

Wendy Thurman Porte de Paris

....... New work opportunities may send me to Africa and I am looking forward to that. Meanwhile, Paris remains a focus!

Wendy

Walt Conley

Perhaps a slightly different take on doors. Gates of Paradise from Florence Italy.

original.jpg

Rachel Foster

Unfortunately, this was taken before I knew anything at all with a 5 mp point and shoot. Still, I like some elements of the image. Venice, May 2007.

venicestraightened.jpg

Steve Robinson

I took these while on Scott Kelby's Worldwide Photo Walk last weekend. I used a Pentax K20D and DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited.

First a handsome entrance.
601517557_CkdFj-O.jpg

Which was right down the street from this one.
601517607_S5xhG-O.jpg

oli murugavel

Recent shots....

My recent shot of a set of doors...

133.jpg

Oli Muragavel Doors tied up!

Saw the doors and tied the rope!