• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fort William to Mallaig

Jarmo Juntunen

We spent a most wonderful three-week holiday in the Scottish highlands last June. I could go on for pages and pages more about the beauty of this wonderful country, about its friendly people, the lochs and glens and so on, but my words simply would not do enough justice to Scotland. Neither will my pictures, but this being a travel section of a photog site I'll give it a go. These pictures were shot during a fabulous steamtrain trip from Fort William to Mallaig.

_small.jpg

_small.jpg

_small.jpg

_small.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We spent a most wonderful three-week holiday in the Scottish highlands last June. I could go on for pages and pages more about the beauty of this wonderful country, about its friendly people, the lochs and glens and so on, but my words simply would not do enough justice to Scotland.

Jarmo,

Welcome to OPF!

Looking forward to you "going on and on" about the Scottish Highlands. The start with this train journey is apt and wonderful. Also, the motif of steam is present everywhere! This is most enjoyable. I'll take a seat and be prepared for more!

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Jarmo,

Welcome to OPF!

Looking forward to you "going on and on" about the Scottish Highlands. The start with this train journey is apt and wonderful. Also, the motif of steam is present everywhere! This is most enjoyable. I'll take a seat and be prepared for more!

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

Thank you Asher! You mean "welcome back"? I took a reasonably long break and it feels nice to be back.

Asher Kelman

_small.jpg

Jarmo

If Norman Rockwell has set his sights on your steam locomotives, then he might have made this as an iconic painting. I'm not sure his work reached Europe, never mind the Far East or Australia, so here's a link. He illustrated the down to earth ordinary folk who do most of the work and likely couldn't name a single artist themselves.

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Thank you Asher, that's a very useful link! To be honest, I was not familiar with Rockwell's work. Or perhaps it's his name that is not so famous here, his work does seem oddly familiar. You comparing my candid snapshot with his illustrations of the American culture is quite a compliment.

Helene Anderson

Big like for that first image. A bit 'Brief Encounter' (though that was Carnforth). Have only ever been to Glasgow, a day trip from London! Well, overnight coach each way. Have often wanted to go to the highlands, in the autumn, they say it is stunning then.

Asher Kelman

Jarmo,

Did you process the first picture in some special way> i'd love to know and how your collection is going. I'm so in to your style as an observer.

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Big like for that first image. A bit 'Brief Encounter' (though that was Carnforth). Have only ever been to Glasgow, a day trip from London! Well, overnight coach each way. Have often wanted to go to the highlands, in the autumn, they say it is stunning then.

Thanks! I've only been to Scotland twice but I'm beginning to think I was born in a wrong country! Calling myself McJuntunen just doesn't do it, I'm afraid. I need to get there again (and again and again...)

Asher, I'm so flattered from what you wrote. Thank you thank you! I did compile a book (a fancy way to call a family holiday album!) and put something together for the wife and kids but I'm going through the pics again to see how I look at them now. I didn't too any special processing with any of these, just some basic things in Lightroom (wb, contrast, highlight etc).