• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Girl with a phone, walking.

Tom dinning

Registrant*

Tom dinning

Registrant*
How do these people get in?
I remember when i first registered i didn't get in until Ash had checked my criminal record and called 5 referees. Even then I needed to give blood, promise my first child to a mission and declare myself an atheist.

Andy brown

Jesus Tom. More to the point, how did you get back in??
I had to wait 3 years to join. Something to do with using you as my character reference.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Jesus Tom. More to the point, how did you get back in??
I had to wait 3 years to join. Something to do with using you as my character reference.

what character? Yours or mine? That’s 2 mistakes. I still get treated like I have COVID-19.
My words are tested for infections before they are released to the public.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This pair of pictures is so instructive how picture design, just altering the position of the protagonist from left to right can totally alter significance.

Seeing this first:

I thought, Tom is playing with us. He knows the girl is oblivious to everything going on, but perhaps he enjoys that that is a downer and annoying.

Then the huge payoff and surprise:

Here, it’s much earlier. Sure she is just as engrossed in the damn phone, but it’s still possible she will notice odds and ends that could be for sale, even a person could pop out of the door and hug her!

Yes, none of that is at all likely, but the possibilities are still open and at play!

So this is much less negative, but certainly attention/getting!

Frankly, I don’t know how one could present this pair to better effect than on a forum like this!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I was attracted by the array of goods at the door. They formed a pleasant visual interlude from the normal street scene. The tree balanced the aesthetics nicely and added an element of natural form, contrary to the angular nature of the background.
Then I might wonder if it’s for sale or just junk for the collecting by passers by, a practice often used to clear a room or gather furniture for another. This place is only a spit from Sydney Technical college, frequented by the poorest of the poor : students.

the young woman seemed oblivious to most things, including me. I like that. She walked into my frame and I snapped one. I held my ground and snapped another as she departed. The sequence, as you say Ash, tells another tale.

I noted that my thinking had shifted in terms of the importance on one thing over another as I shot. Yet, in the end, the static nature of the old wares is still dominant. She is but a distraction, albeit a purposeful one. The title seems obvious and establishes the viewers perspective but it’s hard not to notice the background.