• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Grab Portraits Challenge: Fast Grab- Portaits: No lights, no reflectors.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Suave, handsome, sophisticated....

10120_12699613594fd46922a4f4e.jpg

Okay, we'll perhaps forego the "sophisticated" bit

10120_11913919264fd4691e18fd0.jpg

Bob,

Remarkable pair. You raise him up and then let him down! But that's really who we are, LOL! Reminds me of "The Lord Gives and the Lord taketh away!"

If the second picture wasn't preceded by the first, I'd have been very uncomfortable about the post!

Asher

Asher Kelman

A couple of a friend in a parking lot around midnight. Just random shenanigans.

JadeAgain.jpg

JadeLaugh.jpg

Adrian.

I like casual images like this. Any chance you could also post smaller versions so that they can be seen together side by side. They are not detail rich and might be better appreciated without scrolling to see the whole pictures in one glance.

Asher

Adrian Wareham

I suppose. It might break the original links. My browser has things magnified a bit since it's 1920x1080 and I use Chrome. I can't always tell how it will look in another browser. Let's see. Here is at 800x600.

edit: resizing just made the quality lower and they were exactly the same size in the browser despite being less than 1/4 the number of actual pixels. Sorry.

-Adrian

p.s. After resizing, they didn't change in the preview. I can't tell if it's my browser and after making them about 600 pix wide, they are no smaller. On photobucket, they are smaller, but not here. My head hurts now. lol

Asher Kelman

Thanks for the effort, Adrian! I can see them better now! I resize in Photoshop or iPhoto and the pictures always show as sized!

Asher

Adrian Wareham

Made this one a reasonable size before uploading. (I just worry I'll lose originals when I use smaller copies all the time- use 'em or lose 'em) Anyway ... street performance, but also a portrait of a friend. Close enough. :)

ShayeRAW_edited2.jpg

-Adrian

Bob Latham

Something worrying you girl?

A quick snap whilst setting up for a football (soccer) match.

10120_3502555875060c89f9e668.jpg

1/320 @f/2.8 Iso 200 using a 300/2.8 IS on a 1Dx
Bob

Asher Kelman

Made this one a reasonable size before uploading. (I just worry I'll lose originals when I use smaller copies all the time- use 'em or lose 'em) Anyway ... street performance, but also a portrait of a friend. Close enough. :)

ShayeRAW_edited2.jpg

Adrian,

She's in the groove and the mood come over beautifully. :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Something worrying you girl?

A quick snap whilst setting up for a football (soccer) match.

10120_3502555875060c89f9e668.jpg

1/320 @f/2.8 Iso 200 using a 300/2.8 IS on a 1Dx

Bob,

You just made me so sorry I sold my own 300 2.8L! I love the way she appears out of that soft background. Hope you pointed more her way as her expressions changed!

Asher

Bob Latham

Bob,

You just made me so sorry I sold my own 300 2.8L! I love the way she appears out of that soft background. Hope you pointed more her way as her expressions changed!

Asher
I don't have more on this occasion, Asher, although I do photograph her quite regularly. She plays for the women's team in my local football club but the image above was in her "spectatiing capacity" for the men's team.
Bob
Et voila...although still looking worried!
10120_947883496505dfe19ab9a7.jpg

Adrian Wareham

I snapped this the night of Jan 1st at night with no flash, reflectors, or control over passing car lights. It took 1 second and about 5 photos. (gotta love high speed with fast lenses) We just bumped into eachother outside a pub. hehe Edit: Edit: f1.4 1/30th 3200 50mm manual white balance.

Jade2S_zps595c2855.jpg

-Adrian

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

1/30th second is very challenging with live subjects, Adrian....the results look worthwhile though.

Bob
We see this in wedding pictures where the joy overcomes any minor setbacks in lighting and DOF. With the new 35mm canon f1.4 this would be easily done at 1/20 sec as it boasts 5 stops of IS.

Asher

Jerome Marot

With the new 35mm canon f1.4 this would be easily done at 1/20 sec as it boasts 5 stops of IS.

Not quite so. There is only one company with a full frame camera with a stabilized 35mm f/1.4 lens and it is not Canon. Unfortunately, they stopped building that camera 6 months ago.

The stabilized 35mm from Canon is f/2.0.

Asher Kelman

Not quite so. There is only one company with a full frame camera with a stabilized 35mm f/1.4 lens and it is not Canon. Unfortunately, they stopped building that camera 6 months ago.

The stabilized 35mm from Canon is f/2.0.

Quite right, Jerome! The Canon 35mm is just f2.0! Good catch! :)

Asher

Adrian Wareham

Sometimes a little blur can give the picture some character, and make the subject seem more active, or sometimes less!:

ShayeRAW_edited2.jpg

193149_163329227055311_6303267_o_zpsa38d9c68.jpg

-Adrian

p.s. When life gives you lemons, paint them purple. Instant sour grapes.

Adrian Wareham

We see this in wedding pictures where the joy overcomes any minor setbacks in lighting and DOF. With the new 35mm canon f1.4 this would be easily done at 1/20 sec as it boasts 5 stops of IS.

Asher

It has full IS at f1.4? That's a lot of glass to spin. It would be great for video if you have an A/C adapter. About as much IS as a typical 3MOS shoulder-cam!

The perspective would be very different with that lens. The 50mm with an APS-C sensor is WAY tighter than 35mm with a full-frame. I like the longer effective focal length so I can manipulate the focus to accentuate more specific features. That f1.4 35mm sounds pretty tasty though!

-Adrian

Chris Calohan

I was on one of those Cruise Ship shore excursions in Jamaica riding in the back of a bouncing horse drawn carriage on less than stellar streets. This is a favorite of the images shot that day. I had approximately five seconds to make the exposure as she stepped out from behind the tree seconds after we passed and there were cars in the process of trying to overcome the carriage before it hit town again.

8316034741_17fa67777b_o.jpg

In the second image, I'd been heavily concentrating on getting horse and rider as they burst from the gate when I saw the process of how the bull was released in synchronization with the cowboy's readiness. On the next release, I shot them instead. They are quite noisy as the ISO was 3200 - fairground lighting and a 24-70 2.8.

8177841858_b9e1ca07b9_o.jpg

Martin Stephens

This is a fun looking thread. I'll try a few.

MS4O-6_zps9d63038d.jpg

Martin Stephens: Couple

This couple was a quick grab off the sidewalk. Perhaps 10 seconds?

MS4O-15_zps0cb7ccbc.jpg

Martin Stephens: Captain

This is another fast grab after walking up to this rail overlooking the water. Later in the day, I photographed him again. He had a great beard.

Asher Kelman

I was on one of those Cruise Ship shore excursions in Jamaica riding in the back of a bouncing horse drawn carriage on less than stellar streets.

8316034741_17fa67777b_o.jpg

Chris,

Such kids are so beautiful. I wish some of the tourist dollars penetrated inland from the stores of the port companies to the people. Fabulous shot!

Asher

Asher Kelman

MS4O-15_zps0cb7ccbc.jpg

Martin Stephens: Captain

Martin,

My first reaction was that this was a picture of Amish riding a wagon, only later did I notice the water, and that's only after reading your text! Proves that we drag our own preconceptions to whatever we meet!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Carsten,

The image URL needs to end with .jpg or else .png

So right now your images are not viewable!

Send me the links and I'll repair the post!

Asher