• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello community

Jeremy Austin

Hello guys, I'm Jeremy from London.
I'm developer and enjoy photography and music.
I currently have a Fujifilm Finepix SL300 and I'd like to upgrade to a DSLR. I've been looking at Nikon's and Canons and have decided that my budget is around £500 pounds for everything including the lenses. Can anyone recommend an entry level DSLR? I saw some at the CameraVS
Thanks!

Last edited:

Tom dinning

Registrant*
G’day Jeremy.
You might like to consider sticking with Fuji and test drive a T-X30. Nice light body with all the buttons and a great range of quality lenses.

It’s always a good starting point to go into a store and handle a few options. Put some ear plugs in so you don’t hear the sales pitch.

Another factor is what your intentions are.

Good lens options is important. Bodies ar relatively cheap in comparison since you will only use one at a time most days.

I’m a big fan of mirrorless cameras after having all the others at some time or other, especially if your a hobbyist with a limited budget.

Jerome Marot

The entry level cameras, any brand, have been perfectly sufficient for most photographic needs for the past 5-10 years, which means any camera will do, including second hand ones.

The real question is: what lens do you need? To answer that, we would need you know why you are not satisfied with your Fujifilm Finepix SL300 and what you intend to improve.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jeremy,

Notwithstanding Jerome’s very sound advice, if you are ready to buy, Tech Radar points out this Amazon U.K. Prime bargain:

Amazon Prime Day has already given us some spankingly good deals on mid-range mirrorless cameras and DSLRs, but if you're after an entry-level option with some extra panache, the Fujifilm X-T100 is where you should be looking.

You can grab the X-T100 body with a 15-45mm kit lens for just £419.99 right now on Amazon, in any of its three colour options.”

You need of course to write down why you need anything new at all! But if you do, the XT body at a good price could be a defendable way to start.

Asher