• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I cooked today.

Jerome Marot

352035A1-5969-41CE-A2C9-40F5764B778A.jpeg

Os à moelle sous le grill. Bon appétit!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
1CEB7070-043B-4C57-87FB-D87E5468C23A.jpeg

Very interesting! How often do folk in Europe eat marrow?

The custom might have been a key factor to human brain development!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I just discovered in Wikipedia that bone marrow had been served to me but I never ate it as I never dreamt it was meant to be eaten, just the meat!

“Beef bone marrow is also a main ingredient in Italiandish ossobuco (braised veal shanks); the shanks are cross-cut and served bone-in, with the marrow still inside the bone.”

Well that’s a revelation!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Not only the marrow is meant to be eaten, but it gives taste to the broth.
That is so totally hilarious to me, Jérôme! It would never occur to me to eat marrow, LOL! It’s not like we’re destitute!

Those bones are given away for free by the butcher!

But I can see now these are very special valued dishes for connoisseurs of fine cooking, far beyond my simpler upbringing!

Asher

Asher Kelman

It’s pretty. The slice of bone is very masculine and warrior-like!

First time I have seen such images of sliced bones outside of my extensive reading of the activities of early hominids: especially in Europe and Israel.

All the meat and bones seem to have been brought to centers for community processing with specialized flints and shaped round rock balls. Some sites were continuously used over hundreds or thousands of years of butchery and bone harvesting!

So you are continuing ancient traditions of maximal harvesting of the prizes of our hunting success!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Your next challenge for 2021 will be to cook bone broth, Asher. If your butcher gives out the bones for free, why not use the offer? Add an onion, carrots, leak and some fatty meat for a pot-au feu. As spices, try a clove of garlic, some thyme, a bay leaf, a clove, black pepper and salt. Do not skip the salt. Cook for at least an hour, wrap up in a blanket or towel to keep the heat overnight. On the next day, leave outside or in the fridge so that the top layer of fat turns solid. Remove that. Reheat for an hour having added peeled potatoes. Serve without the onion and the green part of the leak.

Bone marrow has a distinctive taste that not everyone likes, though. It is slightly gelatinous and very fat. As Nicolas noted, sprinkling it with coarse salt is nice.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Much appreciated, Jérôme. Will print the recipe for Wendy and hope for a great surprise!

I was going to pray and “cross my fingers” but thought about it as not Aristotelian, LOL!

Jerome Marot

Technically, I did not cook these and the main effort is to clean the little beasts anyway. But I thought I should share the picture with you:

45F3DEB3-8727-4B72-A865-BAC55DCCAB6F.jpeg

Asher Kelman

Looks deliciously French, Jérôme!

But is it that not you but someone else cooked them?

………or that you merely add a garnishing buttery sauce and eat them raw!

Asher

Jerome Marot

They were collected, cleaned and prepared by a neighbor and I just had to put them in the oven.
These snails are traditional food in the part of France my family comes from and, today, are considered a delicacy. However, I suppose that a few generations ago they were one of the few animal protein diets that the common folks could afford. Raising pigs or poultry uses food also fit for humans (unless one has plenty of oak trees), game was reserved for nobility but snails were everywhere.

Jerome Marot

Duck breast:

6F26289F-D5A3-419D-8A38-A96730850BCA.jpeg

Duck breast can be found at a very good price at this time of the year. Probably it has to do with foie gras.

Duck protect themselves with a layer of fat. That fat is, apparently, good for your health. What I did here was to heat the fat layer on low heat for about half an hour, removing the fat regularly in the process (I keep it in a separate jar, it will keep for a long time). When the fat layer has thinned out, increase the heat to roast the skin, then turn over and roast till pink. Add salt and herbs.

The fat will come out better if you make regular cuts in the skin.

Asher Kelman

Looks so delicious!

I must study the health benefits of duck fat.

For sure, ducks are very different from beef!

Asher Kelman

A wonderful dish!

For how many!

But which recipe heritage did you chose. Not that rat for sure he has nothing to lose!

Asher

Jerome Marot

The secret of a good ratatouille are the eggplants. You need to cut them and sprinkle them with salt so that they ooze a bitter liquid. Then rinse and wipe, fry them. Onions, garlic, courgettes, bell peppers a tin of tomatoes and spices (bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and/or similar herbs). Cook for 30-60 min.

Asher Kelman

The secret of a good ratatouille are the eggplants. You need to cut them and sprinkle them with salt so that they ooze a bitter liquid. Then rinse and wipe, fry them. Onions, garlic, courgettes, bell peppers a tin of tomatoes and spices (bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and/or similar herbs). Cook for 30-60 min.
Thanks for this detail! I will give this to each member of my family for preparing.