• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Critique Requested I decided to photograph and empty chair with yellow rope!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was intrigued by the curves of a classic Hans Wegener “Wishbone Chair” and those of loose rope I use to secure steel in my beat-up 2002 BMW and as a prop in an occasional shoot with a model.

First I posed the chair at an angle on the stone. I laid down the rope to extend but loosely, Wegener’s motif of the curve.

Now I used Topaz Studio’s “Simplify” filter to fill in some spaces as if I was shading with a crayon. I like the sense that we were seemingly hinting at lingerie shapes.

Now through a series of generations of further filters, I arrived at almost monochrome derivatives.

I liked that simple geometry and contrast and preservation of plausible shapes of clothing with rope that holds things together.

But I wanted to go further to some more minimalistic composition.

I hope you enjoy this experiment.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Really? Do you see lingerie in the following picture as well? 😀

I like this picture, Jérôme! Did you just make it. Folk seem to have forgotten the art of ink blots and Rorschach tests that follow!

I do see a Dracula like figure with bat-like wings! He sports a long coat and raises his hands! I have no personal experience of such beings but I presume he also wears underwear, but it’s not that obvious!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

I mentioned “underwear” as in this example it looks like there is a bra to the right in the curves of the rope on the ground.

Imagine what you wish is on the chair. My wife immediately commented on it and I had already considered that possible resemblance. Pretty obvious, I think!

But you only commented on my remarks and not the pictures, LOL!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Of course not, this is one of the original Rorschach test pictures, from the wikipedia article. I forgot to include the source, silly me.
Great, so I did get the right memories recalled!

It is a beautiful example and to me inspiring for my own musing!

So, Jérôme, can you now understand why one might have imagined “underwear” in the artifacts created by the Topaz “Simplify” filter?

Asher

Jerome Marot

So, Jérôme, can you now understand why one might have imagined “underwear” in the artifacts created by the Topaz “Simplify” filter?

Yes, Asher, I can probably imagine underwear in rope loops and in Rorschach ink blobs. With or without the help of software. What else can I imagine? What else can you imagine? 😀

Asher Kelman

Yes, Asher, I can probably imagine underwear in rope loops and in Rorschach ink blobs. With or without the help of software. What else can I imagine? What else can you imagine? 😀
That, Jérôme, is all part of our interactions with all that we experience. The evoked possibilities are limitless. Perhaps the artist guides us from time to time!

Asher