• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Will Thompson

The Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM Lens.

It works with all the Canon AF RingLights including the ML-3 that I convert to my ML-3/200 head for use with Godox AD200 series 200 watt second flashes.

It is the widest angle of view usable natively on such RingLights.

This is very helpful when shooting full length fashion.

A sample below.

639E9F29-8AAC-4079-A001-431C60FFA060.jpeg

6DB8937E-6E31-40D2-A2D0-5E233DC04586.jpeg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Will,

Fascinating that this optimum lens is one specifically designed to permit use in macro work!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Amazing! How did you convert it to the AD200?
I am writing separately by message ascto our need for real names for registrations. If you are who I think you are, I love your work to the nth!

As to the modified ring light, Will Thompson can fix just about anything by obsessing, fiddling, taking apart broken siblings or if frustrated to the nth, rarely he might seek the owners manual!

He made one for me, I have to 3D print a new case to his specs.

But asvit is, it’s amazing and measures light on the sensor of any camera for which Godox makes a trigger.

I use it with my Fuji GFX!

Asher

Derick Miller

I am writing separately by message ascto our need for real names for registrations. If you are who I think you are, I love your work to the nth!

As to the modified ring light, Will Thompson can fix just about anything by obsessing, fiddling, taking apart broken siblings or if frustrated to the nth, rarely he might seek the owners manual!

He made one for me, I have to 3D print a new case to his specs.

But asvit is, it’s amazing and measures light on the sensor of any camera for which Godox makes a trigger.

I use it with my Fuji GFX!

Asher

Thank you for the kind words. I am the person you think I am. :). I have replied to your personal message

Exactly what I seek is TTL and HSS ring light capability with GFX.
:)

How big of a lens filter will this ring light accommodate?

Asher Kelman

Will has all the details.

But we are making a new mount to allow mounting with a really large lenses. Will can build one for you.

Asher

Will Thompson

Derick here is a list of Canon lenses currently known to be usable with the Canon ML-3 ringlite!

Please note the filter thread adapters that can go on any mfgr lens that come in 52, 58, 67, & 72mm filter threads.

MACRO:

EF-S 35mm f/2.8L Macro IS STM

EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro

EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro

EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM (Macrolite Adapter 67 is required)

EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM (Macrolite Adapter 72 is required)

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro

NON-MACRO:

EF 28mm f/2.8 (when modified by replacing the front name ring with one from the EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro)

EF 35mm f/2 (when modified by replacing the front name ring with one from the EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro)

EF 35mm f/2 IS USM (Macrolite Adapter 67 is required)

EF 50mm f/1.2L USM (Macrolite Adapter 72C is required)

EF 85mm f/1.8 USM (Macrolite Adapter 58C is required)

EF 100mm f/2 USM (Macrolite Adapter 58C is required)

EF 135mm f/2L USM (Macrolite Adapter 72C is required)

EF 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus (Macrolite Adapter 52C is required)

EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (Macrolite Adapter 67 is required)

EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM (Macrolite Adapter 67 is required)

Asher Kelman

Here’s a photo of the proof of concept prototype.It has the same cable assembly as the ML-3/200.

B54C6AE2-BA82-4988-B425-92211EDEDA32.jpeg

Proof of Concept: The Power Supply can light the tube!

Will,

As the tube was for certain not optimally powered, the color spectrum in the iPhone picture you took gives a mistaken impression that the light looks purple/violet.

When we are ramping up or coming to the end of a broad light pulse, one cannot expect the exact color as at the peak. In addition there could be UV output too at the dying of the flash!

So I corrected it, as I have no doubt it will be a perfect daylight output when pictures are taken with it!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Yes! Thanks for all the work on this.

I use thr Fuji GFX MF system and an original, (no longer manufactured)Canon EF 50mm 2.5 macro lens.

It turns out that 50 mm focal length lenses on the large MF sensor, have the perspective of 50 X 0.79 mm, (I.e. 39.5 mm), lenses in the 35mm “full frame” format!

So I also have a perfect lens for full length portraits to use with your 200WS upgraded Canon ring light!

Thanks!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I had a shoot today with thr Fuji GFX 100s Medium Formst camera.

I remembered the ring flash creation by Will, modified use a AD200 flash with a 200 WS energy pulse!

So I grabbed the nearest Canon EF 50 Macro 2.5 mounted the ring flash and here’s the result.

5A09275D-592E-4A2C-852A-8EE9B4A37441.jpeg

Asher Kelman: Laura
Fuji GFX Metabones
Smart Adapter X 1.26
EF 50mm Macro f 2.5

It turned out that I had reached for the one lens that won’t AF and MF was difficult, but I was just testing illumination and I was pretty happy with that!

I think Will’s effort has paid off. I will test it again with the Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro in a couple of days when it arrives!

Asher