• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Impressive Video Editing on iPad

Robert Watcher

Video Editing

I have been using LumaFusion for sometime now, and find it’s functionality and usefulness to be quite amazing. I am using it on my iPad Air. I’m sure it would handle many tracks more easily on a higher spec’d iPad Pro - but this is what I have. I really wasn’t expecting that I could scrub tracks and be so precise on the time frame —- using my fingers. But it is effortless. Will even handle 4K video. And only $19.95

This is the guy (HENNY THA BIZNESS) on YouTube that convinced me to check it out last summer.

I don’t make any claims about my video abilities - but this was the first video I put together with LumaFusion using a bunch of handheld short clips that I took around the park in Xela, Guatemala last year:

———

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for sharing.

I will look at your clip and the introduction video. It must be that programmers are becoming space conscious and more careful to avoid software bloat.

Amazing that you can do so much on an pad

Asher

Asher Kelman

Robert,

Where do you store the 4K video? Do you have some wizard connection to a fast as hell WI-FI drive or a connection through the Lightening port?

Asher

Jerome Marot

The iPad comes with no less than two quite capable video editing applications free from Apple: iMovie and Clips. They have slightly different focuses, but are more capable than anyone would think. Clips, in particular, has the unique feature of using Siri voice recognition to enter subtitles.

Either one can import the files from capable cameras and output video to use for whatever you want.

They can, but not necessarily in an easy or straightforward manner. What is easy is to use the iPad (or iPhone) as a video camera and these applications to edit the file and output the resulting cut to a social network of your choice: Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Vimeo. Anything else is possible, but frustrating. On purpose, I think...

Asher Kelman

The iPad comes with no less than two quite capable video editing applications free from Apple: iMovie and Clips. They have slightly different focuses, but are more capable than anyone would think. Clips, in particular, has the unique feature of using Siri voice recognition to enter subtitles.

Either one can import the files from capable cameras and output video to use for whatever you want.

They can, but not necessarily in an easy or straightforward manner. What is easy is to use the iPad (or iPhone) as a video camera and these applications to edit the file and output the resulting cut to a social network of your choice: Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Vimeo. Anything else is possible, but frustrating. On purpose, I think...
Jerome,

That’s good info. But what about storage space. I have not yet got a hard drive mates to a smart phone!

Asher

Jerome Marot

That’s good info. But what about storage space. I have not yet got a hard drive mates to a smart phone!

Your project needs to fit in the iPad internal storage, which goes up to 1 TB nowadays. Then, you'll need to save the video via wifi to one of the cloud systems. Apple does not allow writing to external storage via cable, so you cannot attach a hard disk for that purpose.
If you want to use a cable (which is much faster), you will need iTunes on a computer.

Jerome Marot

Your project needs to fit in the iPad internal storage, which goes up to 1 TB nowadays. Then, you'll need to save the video via wifi to one of the cloud systems. Apple does not allow writing to external storage via cable, so you cannot attach a hard disk for that purpose.
If you want to use a cable (which is much faster), you will need iTunes on a computer.

The part in bold was changed. Apple announced that the next iPad OS version will support external storage attached via USB.

Asher Kelman

The part in bold was changed. Apple announced that the next iPad OS version will support external storage attached via USB.
...and apparently iTunes is somehow being done in!

So, Jerome, I have a new iPhone XS Max but that only has a lightning cable port. So can we now connect the USB end of the same lightening cable to a portable USB hard drive for storage?

One thing to note is that iOS XII, the USB connectivity, even for charging is shut of after one hour that the phone is left unattended and one needs to login, even for charging!

Asher

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

So, Jerome, I have a new iPhone XS Max but that only has a lightning cable port. So can we now connect the USB end of the same lightening cable to a portable USB hard drive for storage?

The changes only concerns the iPad, not the iPhone.

One thing to note is that iOS XII, the USB connectivity, even for charging is shut of after one hour that the phone is left unattended and one needs to login, even for charging!

I don't think that is correct. My iPhone certainly does not need to be unlocked for charging. It is an older model but runs iOS 12.

Robert Watcher

Thanks for posting this informative post
Is Video Editing on iPad helpful?

Being that I always have my iPad with me when I go about my daily affairs and when I am traveling, and seldom take my laptop with me anymore - it is extremely helpful.

I can do everything for video editing on my iPad so effortlessly and so simply don’t use my macbook for much other than organizing my images in Lightroom and saving to my external hard drives, and for the odd time when I need more extensive photo retouching in Photoshop for commercial work. I also find coding, web design and ftp transfer (Transmit is not available for iPad) to my servers, to be easier on the MacBook. As well, since my version of Final Cut Pro became unusable with recent macOS upgrades when I was already using LumaFusion - I didn’t spend money on the FCP upgrade and so never do video editing on the MacBook any more.

Robert Watcher

I am still a huge fan of LumaFusion. Apparently they have an upgrade with added features coming soon. Since Anne and I have been home from pandemic, and settled into a small apartment last fall until we can travel freely again, I have set up a workstation based on a new macmini m1. I installed the free full featured video editing application DaVinci Resolve 17, and am learning the ropes of it. It is very impressive too.

With Big Sur macOS I am actually able to run LumaFusion on my workstation. It works flawlessly, but I don’t find it as intuitive when using a mouse for the controls (my feeling about many of my iOS apps running on macOS). Probably they will improve that functionality down the road.

Sajidkhansaj

I'm new to this forum, but I wanted to chime in on your post about video editing on an iPad. I also use LumaFusion, and I agree with you. It's pretty amazing. I was skeptical at first about doing precise edits with just my fingers, but it's actually really easy. I checked out the YouTube channel you recommended, and it looks like they have some great tips. Thanks for sharing! I recently discovered a cool website called Vidpros that has some interesting articles about video editing. They even have an article on "unlimited video editing," which I found intriguing. Here's the link if you're interested: https://vidprоs.com/what-is-unlimited-video-editing/.

AlexMillson

I wanted to chime in and say that I've also been using LumaFusion for a while now, and I couldn't agree more with your assessment. The functionality and usefulness of this app are truly remarkable. I've been using it on my iPad Pro, and it handles multiple tracks with ease. The precision and control you have while scrubbing through tracks using your fingers is simply fantastic.

I just came across your post and wanted to give my two cents. Thanks for sharing the details about this powerful software. It's truly impressive how much functionality and usefulness it offers. It's fantastic that you're able to achieve precise edits and scrub tracks effortlessly using just your fingers. And the fact that it can handle 4K videos is a definite bonus! By the way, if you ever find yourself needing a video editing solution for your PC, you might want to explore options like imovie for pc, which you can run using additional emulators. However, if running the program on a PC seems a bit complex, there are alternative options available for Windows that offer similar functionality.

Last edited:

Vickibowen

I think the current capcut at APK Mod in terms of short videos at has almost no competitors because Tiktok is the platform that most people are interested in.

Last edited: