• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

India

Jerome Marot

This is the situation in India: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...s-migrant-workers-exodus-200328151304900.html

A nationwide lockdown in India - the world's largest - over the coronavirus pandemic is wreaking havoc on thousands of migrant workers in the capital, New Delhi.

With few transport options available, thousands of people, mostly young male day labourers but also families, have resorted to commuting on foot during the 21-day lockdown that started on Wednesday. The workers started fleeing New Delhi after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the lockdown, which effectively put millions of Indians living off daily earnings out of work. Construction projects, taxi services, housekeeping and other informal sector employment came to a sudden halt.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Is it because leaders are simply ignorant and out of touch, Jérôme, or heartless?

I never understood Marie Antoinette’s supposed answer for peasants who had no bread, “Let them eat cake!”

But for sure, it does seem that Modi went to the same school as who ever uttered such advice!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I am not so sure. I don't really know what happened in India, but it seems that the government actually had some relief program for those people, so it may be that they would not believe help was coming. I simply think that this event demonstrate that the presence of a large destitute, uneducated population is a liability. Yet, our economies more or less are constructed on the presence of this population, as we (that is you and me!) benefit from their cheap labour. But this are the results.

Asher Kelman

Hate to say it but it looks unavoidable that places like Indonesia and India will have absolutely massive death tolls.

Hope I’m wrong but it looks like a perfect storm brewing.
Andy, How about if they deliver free food, daily, to to keep people off the streets!

Asher

Jerome Marot

India is now the first country as to daily deaths from COVID-19. Simple calculations shows it should pass the USA in number of total cases around the middle of September.

Antonio Correia

Thank you Jerome for commenting !
Indeed Jerome, you are right.
You don't have to make simple calculations as you may consider it as a fact, even if US has implemented the necessary measures late in time.

US doesn't make many tests as far as I know but India does even less.
There is a mass of population starving these days.

I am not sure but perhaps it was the last time we were in India... I am sorry for that. Nothing can be done.

i-p23z2hw-X4.jpg

Asher Kelman

In countries worldwide with some degree of distinct levels of society, the patterns of life become “what’s expected” and normalized for that group.

We add the concept of fate, destiny, spirituality and religion and ones status of riches or wretchedness seemed decided by the gods.

So, in India, the massive deaths in slums, out of work day laborers or by drivers, servers, (.....and even those elderly in nursing homes in thr USA), doesn’t evoke the Government urgency, pity and empathy we’d expect.

But there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

But India is a leader in Vaccine Production. So they will eventually be able to help produce the vaccines needed to at least dampen this pandemic.

Asher