• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Let's talk about lenses.

Cem_Usakligil

Looking good Beni, looking good! :)

PS: I agree with the sticking to 1 adapter idea. I only have the Nikon one as you know.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Michael, it's not living up to my expectations, it's far surpassed them! This tiny lens renders so much more sweetly than my Canon 85mm 1.8. Thank you again for first bringing my attention to this lens.

fahim mohammed

Sharp, when required. Gentle too.

Simultaneously.

p367037319-5.jpg

p.s.

cron 75 apo

Michael Nagel

Ben ,

now I am even more glad. I bought the M 85/2 more than five years ago, initially it was a stop-gap until I could get hold of a FA* 85/1.4. Some time later I finaly found an A* 85/1.4 and settled with that. I thought of selling the M 85/2 later, but both are pretty different and I kept it. Later I found the M 120/2.8 - a nice find as well. Currently I am looking for the K 105/2.8, but it is more if I happen to see one...

A little M 120/2.8 now:

Best regards,
Michael

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
You are evil you know that? :)

Is there a good M/35mm f2? I have the Super Takumar 35mm but the corners never do sharpen up at all. Nice dreamy rendition wide open though.

Michael Nagel

Yes, Ben, yes. But I like what I use, I cannot help it...

There is no M I am aware of like that, but if you can get along with the less than ideal manual focusing, the FA 35/2 could be interesting. I have it and it out-resolves the K-3 (24Mpix APS-C). Not that cheap though...
Maybe there are others like the Zuikos...

Edit: There is a M 35/2, but it is a different optical formula than the FA. If it is not too expensive maybe worth a try.
Here is some more information on the entire Pentax system:
http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/

Best regards,
Michael

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Two more with the Pentax 85mm. This lens creams the canon I loved for so long with its far superior rendition.

My son, Yoni, couple of days before his 'upsherin', a custom to cut the hair on his 3rd birthday at a big family get together celebrating his transition from a baby to a child.

yoni_op2.jpg

yoni_op.jpg

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
tunnel.jpg

A7r with 50mm Tak Super @ f1.4 If I'd used magnification rather than peaking it might even have been properly in focus! :D Some pictures come perfect out of camera, changing anything would be a crime. Doesn't happen often to me but this is one.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
tunnel.jpg

A7r with 50mm Tak Super @ f1.4 If I'd used magnification rather than peaking it might even have been properly in focus! :D Some pictures come perfect out of camera, changing anything would be a crime. Doesn't happen often to me but this is one.

Ben,

Yes, this has a special mood with that lighting and softness. Are you using a tripod with this and the 85mm f2.0 M lens? I think you're so heroic doing manual focusing and schlepping all that gear! It's not 1Ds or 5DII heavy, but as you collect these little darlings, each with Novoflex adapters, it must add up! You need an assistant already!

BTW, where's the mezuzah?

Asher

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Haha, that's funny Asher.

My A7r and 4 lenses with adaptors fits in the same space in my bag that my 5D3 with 50L attached took up. Really nothing heroic about that! Loving it!

This was with the 50mm Tak Super @ f1.4. Manual focus is fine when you don't have any pressure. I took this after finishing a class before setting out for home, sitting there on the wall with my pipe in my mouth. Relaxation can't be defined as heroic methinks :)

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Edit: There is a M 35/2, but it is a different optical formula than the FA. If it is not too expensive maybe worth a try.
Here is some more information on the entire Pentax system:
http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/

Best regards,
Michael

Thanks! I'm going to spend some time there. Finding that the 85mm shared so much of the look I appreciate with my 50mm was a very pleasant surprise. It is good to know that it's a Pentax look rather than just a single lens signature. Have to admit for an itch for the ridiculously cheap 24mm f2.8. Do you know if it's any good?

Michael Nagel

Hi Ben,

I like what I see from your pictures taken with the M85/2.

Yes, there is a general tendency among the Pentax lenses, though the more recent ones are a little more on the analytical side.

I do not have any experience with the 24/2.8, but it cannot be that bad. There is a lens I do have for a while now (almost 30 years), it is the RMC Tokina 24/2.8. I like this one and here are some samples taken with that lens (on APS-C). More samples and a review here.

It is also available in P-K mount (just to reduce the number of adaptors).

Best regards,
Michael

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
There is an Olympus 24mm f2.8 which is apparently very very good. Problem is the prices have gone sky high thanks to mirrorless. I've always dreamt of a 24mm 1.4 in the days when I was shooting weddings, just never been able to afford one. Now of course it's either rangefinder and huge expense plus the attendant post processing issues or a huge lens on a small camera. I do lust for the Zeiss 25mm f2. Anyone want a kidney? :)

Michael Nagel

There is the Pentax FA* 24/2 (if you happen to find one, KEH has currently four, but they are not cheap either), but the perfomance is disputed, opibions range from great to 'meh'.

If you happen to stumble on a good one, make a few test shots to see if it could be worth it.
There are stories of one pair of lenses glued together getting loose on some lenses...

Best regards,
Michael

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I have the 28mm SMC Takumar in very nice condition which I think I will put on ebay, they go for a good price there and swap it for the K mount 24mm 2.8 which is more expensive but still very cheap.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
There is an old abandoned shuk that they built as an indoor alternative to the outdoor one in Jerusalem. It was abandoned almost immediately and to date has been still accessible, covered in a thick layer of dust. I had been there in the summer to take this photo as part of a project I'm working (slowly) on.

shuk.jpg

5D3 with 16-35LII

It was pouring today and although I'd wanted to go to a beautiful area called Nachlaot to explore the use of focal lengths within portraiture it wasn't on the cards. Instead I thought I'd take them here. Well we got there to find out that all the stalls have been torn down and there's white sheet metal walls along all the corridors. Loving the opportunity to be able to teach the concept of making the best of your location I did the lesson here.

Anyway, long preamble to my first non test shot using the OM 21mm f3.5 on the A7r. Tiny lens! Can't tell much about the IQ from an iso 5000 shot handheld under awful fluorescent lighting wide open. I keep getting my finger in the shots though, lens really is that tiny!

molly.jpg

Molly, A7r, OM 21mm f3.5​

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Well I had my brand new, literally out of the box brand new and never used Olympus OM 21mm f3.5 MC lens delivered a couple of days ago. I had bought a very expensive Novoflex adaptor to go with it. I hadn't yet taken a single frame when the lens with adaptor attached rolls off the table and hits the stone floor. There is a tiny dent in the adaptor where it meets the camera. I thought it was indented and therefore wouldn't be a problem to the fit but I did some testing with the camera and lens today and indeed the right side is slightly out. There is a slight, 1/10 of a mm protrusion at the edge of the tiny dent. I doubt it would be noticeable with a 50mm lens and could be filed back down easily by someone more talented than myself with the right tools however I just went online and spent another £99 on a new one. Sigh...

BTW if anyone wants a DIY project, I'll sell the old one for £50, half price. It really is a tiny dent, doubt I could even show it in a photo.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Some of you may remember this shot from way back, using the lensbaby. They were building at the time down the left of the narrow alley and for the longest time the alley was just unpleasant to walk down. Finally though the building is finished and this is the view of the left side as you walk down. I had intended taking a serene image but instead ended up with one filled with ghosts to my eye. In any case I'm very happy with it.

serene_ghost.jpg

Serene Ghosts, A7r, 50mm Tak Super @ f1.4

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
I got the new olympus adaptor and now both sides of the lens are the same. I'm not going to keep it though. It's good but I need a lens for commercial work and the corners are good but not perfect. I think I may have to *gulp* buy the zeiss. Have to sell off a bunch of stuff to be able to afford it. I could get the Nikon 14-24mm which is as good but it's a big beast!