• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Litter Bins for City Centers

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Let me surprise you with a picture by Robert Watcher today:

Robert Watcher: Litter Bins
Street in San Salvador

Robert Watcher chose an excellent starting point for his intriguing series street photography series in San Salvador. I have borrowed his first picture to illustrate an important environmental issue.

Litter bins are so essential to make living in a society pleasant. Without them, rats would spread the plague, yersinia pestis! They not only hide garbage from vermin, potentially allow for composting and recycling.

It so happens that I have been tasked with designing a new architectural form for a city near me! They need 1000! They selected the following design from 6 I submitted. It has a built in gravity lock to stop wild animals opening the lid!

I took an existing top and made the barrel portion rectilinear!

Now my version has to be able to be grabbed by a side loading City Garbage Removal Truck! So stone as in San Salvador is not an option. My design will be a plastic or steel!

Unusual for a photography forum, but these are essential to maintaining the health of the community.

I do like the independant ideas of the San Salvador designers. These are the most handsome I have seen anywhere!

Asher