• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Loading ship with salt at the mine

Robert Watcher

Goderich Harbour. Ship being filled with salt.

Second pic captures the arm moving as it distributes the salt across the container.

The final pic is the ship leaving the harbour to enter Lake Huron and continue its sojourn through the Great Lakes.

Very chilly and stark night.

87E474E3-DDC4-4502-A2CE-C37ECAE6522D.jpeg

D18FB8B1-1A43-4B2C-8D14-C479AD2E3FE1.jpeg

7D58916D-40B8-4733-A33E-8BA0823C3887.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

This is an interesting map I found that displays the ship passageways through the Great Lakes - which this ship will be using . Zoom out to see them all. The Great Lakes contain the largest fresh water lake in North America, second largest in the world, the largest fresh water island in the world. Canada has the most lakes in the world.

just some tidbits, for those that know little about Canada.

——-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi, Robert,

What sail on the Great Lakes are "boats" (regardless of size).

Best regards,

Doug
OMG, if the lake is a an inland sea, then the boat is a ship!

A boat is generally a smaller water craft while a ship can handle the high seas and oceans, but it’s also more nuanced even than that!

If it’s massive, built for rough seas and heavy cargoe and needs special navigation gear and a a giant motor it can be a ship. So the Canadian vessels hauling salt might easily demand the nautical architecture and advanced engineering for dangerous water conditions. In any case, local language use has to be respected!

“Technically speaking, a mode of water transport that weighs at least 500 tonnes or above is categorised as a ship.”

Asher

Asher Kelman

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Besides, many ocean going ships, or “Salties” ply the Great Lakes and the St Lawrence Seaway System.

Here is a “Foreign Ship Data & Photo Gallery” for 2020!

Robert Watcher

Hi, Robert,

What sail on the Great Lakes are "boats" (regardless of size).

Best regards,

Doug

We commonly call these Lakers or Cargo Ships or Ships —- not often boats. But you are not wrong in your designation as boats.

As supported here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_freighter

The waters of the Great Lakes can be very nasty, and have resulted in many shipwrecks (that is what they are called). One famously written about in song by Gordon Lightfoot - was the “Edmund_Fitzgerald”. There is(was before pandemic anyway) a huge industry in scuba diving and exploring these.

Jerome Marot

In fact, Doug, the Black Sea is another massive fresh water inland body of water akin to the Great Lakes.

You may be confusing with another body of water, but I cannot imagine which one. The black sea is salted water and open to the Mediterranean sea, which has a salt content roughly double of the Atlantic. The Caspian sea is closed, but also salted. Lake Baikal is freshwater.

Asher Kelman

You may be confusing with another body of water, but I cannot imagine which one. The black sea is salted water and open to the Mediterranean sea, which has a salt content roughly double of the Atlantic. The Caspian sea is closed, but also salted. Lake Baikal is freshwater.
Jérôme,

It’s rather unlikely you are not correct in fact checking. It’s more feasible that I misread a reference.

But I understood that the Volga drains into it and it was essentially an inland lake. In the morning, I will endeavor to retrace my steps!

Asher

Jerome Marot

The Volga drains into the Caspian sea, which has a salinity of approximately 1.2%, about a third that of average seawater.

Asher Kelman

The Black Sea has most interesting layering of water: uppercfull of life, oxygenated, the lower is anoxic and shipwrecks survive centuries!

Doug Kerr

Hi, Robert,
The waters of the Great Lakes can be very nasty, and have resulted in many shipwrecks (that is what they are called). One famously written about in song by Gordon Lightfoot - was the “Edmund_Fitzgerald”.

Yes, the case of the Edmund Fitzgerald is well known.

Thanks for all the info.

Best regards,

Doug