• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Robert Watcher

Lone Bird at Sunset

3322F169-A54D-4EA2-B00C-171662EBB5FB.jpeg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Robert,

So biblical!

You’ve captured a remarkable flying bird form with wings of fire stretching over the sky!

The sole bird leads the way!

Asher

Very nice shot and great edit. I'd just wish, the bird would fly "The other way around".
I always love to see more of "where it's going" rather than where it's "coming from".
(Don't get me wrong, this is a critique on a very high level 😉)

Greatings from Germany
Martin

Robert Watcher

Very nice shot and great edit. I'd just wish, the bird would fly "The other way around".
I always love to see more of "where it's going" rather than where it's "coming from".

Greatings from Germany
Martin

Thank you for your thoughts. What you have stated is a common line of reasoning. I often implement that method when photographing people - although I often add visual tension to a photo by not following it.

In this case I am not photographing “birds in flight” - so the bird is of little importance other than to add to the mood, composition and character of the scene. I think the photo would be strong without the bird. That’s my reasoning anyway LOL.

——

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Greatings from Germany
Martin
Martin,

I like that you’re prepared to add your views on work you already highly appreciated.

Your remark is st a high level of critique and understanding. It so happens that the seeming fiery bird “formation” of the cloud is following the bird. So everything is going from right to left.

On an advanced level of thinking, yes, flipping the image horizontally might, as you suggest, make it more impressive to the viewer.

But the command and control structure for this Art rests with the O.P., of course. As an artist we have to first, (and merely), satisfy our wish to export an imagined idea to a physical form. In executing this, Robert prepared it sufficiently to his satisfaction and then STOPPED!

Still if Robert happened to share both versions, it would be interesting to see which would get the most favorable responses!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Martin,

I like that you’re prepared to add your views on work you already highly appreciated.

Your remark is st a high level of critique and understanding. It so happens that the seeming fiery bird “formation” of the cloud is following the bird. So everything is going from right to left.

On an advanced level of thinking, yes, flipping the image horizontally might, as you suggest, make it more impressive to the viewer.

But the command and control structure for this Art rests with the O.P., of course. As an artist we have to first, (and merely), satisfy our wish to export an imagined idea to a physical form. In executing this, Robert prepared it sufficiently to his satisfaction and then STOPPED!

Still if Robert happened to share both versions, it would be interesting to see which would get the most favorable responses!

Asher

Thanks Asher. I may be wrong. But I’m not sure he is referring to just a flip of the image from left to right. I read it as a standard that is popular that there should be more space in front of a subject, than having the subject exiting the frame. Of course in portraits and street photography I often take that into consideration when composing. But I have also been known to have my subject hard the edge of a frame with negative space in behind them, as I routinely break what are considered rules of photography.

While I am inclined to also show an unaltered version at times - - - in this case I am not, as the original is just a shot of the sky with a bird flying through it. As I mentioned above, my interpretation has little to do with the bird itself and its flight pattern. I actually like your analogy of “Almost Biblical” when I look at the pic - even though I havent intended that. I simply find the intensity of the scene appealing. And then there is that fact that it’s just in a days shooting - - - one of hundreds of thousands of images on my hard drives. I like to shoot every day as much as possible. On to the next LOL.

———-