• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!
I actually shot this set about a month ago, but it was for a challenge between myself and 12 other photographers. Some wanted the entire month so I didn't want to share it anywhere before the challenge. We had to do 3 photos or more and set them as a collage (so triptychs, quadtychs etc., ) This was my entry - Moods of Echinops.

I know some will find the background distracting etc., but part of the challenge was to make it decorative.

I hope you like it.
:)
Maggie
moodsofechinops.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Maggie,

You wrote:

Moods of Echinops

I actually shot this set about a month ago, but it was for a challenge between myself and 12 other photographers. Some wanted the entire month so I didn't want to share it anywhere before the challenge. We had to do 3 photos or more and set them as a collage (so triptychs, quadtychs etc., ) This was my entry - Moods of Echinops.

I know some will find the background distracting etc., but part of the challenge was to make it decorative.

I hope you like it.
It is exquisite in so many ways.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

I would like to see this with the treatment and background you gave your peaches.
+1. Great idea.

Thank you, both, Jerome and Cem. I may have to try it next year with new blooms. When I did this, the flowers were freshly cut and pretty straight and stiff. I had to coax them into the shapes that you see here. Now, a month later, they have dried and have kept their very round shapes, (they do dry nicely, though) as in the one depicting mourning.

Although, if you look at the peaches, you will see these in one of the pictures, in a small vase. They were already too dry to rebend any further.

Thanks for taking time to comment! :)
Maggie

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Ok, now, my turn for a request Maggie!
I would love all 4 to be exactly the same on their black bg, but same height for all and stitched on a pure white panel… It would be from my personal POV much more contemporary…
: D

Michael Nagel

Hi Maggie,

I won't argue about the background and yes, I like this series.
I would not flip the last one horizontally either (Sorry Nicolas...).

Best regards,
Michael

Cem_Usakligil

Just to test how it would look like with a different background. Quick and dirty editing. I am not saying that it is in any way better than yours Maggie, just different. :)

moodsofechinopsnicolas_cem2.jpg

Image by Maggie Terlecki - edit CU

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I hope you like it.
:)
Maggie

Maggie,

We have no choice, they're so well conceived and made!

moodsofechinopsnicolas.jpg

The fascinating thing is the separation from the b.g. makes the postures and therefore mood and relationships appear genuine.

As we saw with the fruit embedded in Cyan, that diminishes the boldness of the principal covered elements increasing the rank of lesser components.

moodsofechinopsnicolas_cem2.jpg

Image by Maggie Terlecki - edit CU

So here, with Cem's rough version with added color, the gestures are muted but the entire image also becomes more tranquil. We learn more each time we see a real-world example. Thanks Cem.

Asher

Ha! I still prefer it with the black background, like it was shot, but like that you guys played with it and had fun seeing how it would look otherwise. :)

Cem_Usakligil

Ha! I still prefer it with the black background, like it was shot, but like that you guys played with it and had fun seeing how it would look otherwise. :)
Absolutely! Thanks for kindly letting us have some fun. It is and remains your picture, I was just fooling around a bit. :)

Doug Kerr

Hi, Maggie,

That's cool, Cem. I love fooling around a bit too, so I totally get it! ;)
Now. if you could just take out the Echinops and put in, say, four historical telephone sets, maybe in front a background of a quilt honoring the victims of the Crimean War . . .

Just kidding.

I loved it the way you did it.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

I would like to see this with the treatment and background you gave your peaches.

When I wrote this, I thought about using the Echinops to replace the flowers in the peaches pictures. I like the peaches picture very much, but I thought that the shape of the Echinops could be interesting in this setting as well. I had not thought about replacing the black background of the Echinops with the help of the photoshop.

Nevertheless, I am glad that Cem Usakligil gave us this example to look at. It allows me to better see the relationships between the background of the individual pictures and the framing, for example.

When I wrote this, I thought about using the Echinops to replace the flowers in the peaches pictures. I like the peaches picture very much, but I thought that the shape of the Echinops could be interesting in this setting as well. I had not thought about replacing the black background of the Echinops with the help of the photoshop.

Nevertheless, I am glad that Cem Usakligil gave us this example to look at. It allows me to better see the relationships between the background of the individual pictures and the framing, for example.

Hi Jerome,

In one of the peaches pieces, the Echinops are there. This series with the black background was taken before the one with peaches. When I did the one with the peaches, the stalks were already dry. They are in the little small cream pitcher in the wide image. They are also very short. I think it would have been amazing to have a whole bunch of them especially with longer stalks, but I only had these few growing. 4 globe heads in all. Appreciate your time and comments, Jerome. :)