• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Moth Orchid - Phalaenopsis multispectral

Dr Klaus Schmitt

This series with an yellow-orange moth orchid was shot using my trusted UV-Nikkor 105mm using specialized filters on my full spectrum converted Panasonic Lumix GH5 with a modified Xenon flash as a light source.
Human vision, reflected UV, simulated bee and butterfly vision (left to right, top to bottom)

More is here: https://photographyoftheinvisiblewo...01/moth-orchid-phalaenopsis-in-reflected.html

173309152.Zh0Y9lq4.Phalaenopsis_VISUVBUBV_P1820305_c.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This series with an yellow-orange moth orchid was shot using my trusted UV-Nikkor 105mm using specialized filters on my full spectrum converted Panasonic Lumix GH5 with a modified Xenon flash as a light source.
Human vision, reflected UV, simulated bee and butterfly vision (left to right, top to bottom)

More is here: https://photographyoftheinvisiblewo...01/moth-orchid-phalaenopsis-in-reflected.html

173309152.Zh0Y9lq4.Phalaenopsis_VISUVBUBV_P1820305_c.jpg
My preference is the UV reflection!

But, Klaus, how did it come to be this lilac color in visible light? Was their a vote or that’s what the filter converts it too, or that’s the wavelength of the reflected light?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Thanks guys!

Asher, that "UV color" is artificial, but appears when there is some long wave UV reflection around 380-385nm. It is a whitebalanced image using SPECTRALON (R) but those "colors" strongly depend on teh Bayer pattern a chip manufacturer has used, more precisely their transmission in the UV and the reaction of the siicon photo diodes underneath. A rather complex thing it is. I have tested that with my LUMIXes over the years using narrowband UV light by using a monochromator and these are the resulting artificial "UV colors" then. I have that explained in more detail: HERE

original.jpg