• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nepal, heaven in the clouds. Nepal the places I've seen!

fahim mohammed

Crematorium..#3

The platform is stacked with wood and the deceased's body is placed over the wood. More wood is placed
over the body. Straw is also placed. Final respects are paid

p933235765.jpg

A close male family relative is the first one to get the fire burning. I am told that the first flame is placed near the mouth:

p790380380.jpg

After the fire has consumed the body:

p766172291.jpg

The ashes are pushed into the river, and the platform washed and prepared anew:

p570223960.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
If it's possible, at some time, Fahim, might you be able to fix the early links of this special thread? I hate to see beauty vanish!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Crematorium #1

As I am unable to edit the original posts, please consider these as fillers. Quick search, no particular time on pp.

p323713496.jpg

p492171304-5.jpg

p37631800.jpg

p61323598.jpg

fahim mohammed

Hi, Fahim,

Stunning images.

I am fascinated by the sign. Does this have to do with harvesting of corneas from the dead?

Best regards,

Doug

Hi Doug...

I remember vividly positioning myself so as to give this sign prominence for OPF viewers!!!

I got vague, embarrassed , answers when I asked the same question. Pointing to my eyes, I might add!

Stay well.

fahim mohammed

This is a pictoria documentation of my visit to the open air crematorium for the deceased of the Hindu sect. This is located in Kathmandu.

The funeral pyres are located adjacent to the biggest Hindu temple in Nepal. One has to walk a short distance to reach the temple and the funeral site.

Out of the car and you are accosted to buy some offerings for the temple.. my driver Jai is a Hindu and
bought some items in a basket which has to returned on leaving the entrance

There are many stalls and numerous items of religious significance on sale for the devoted and I might
add as soveniers for tourists.

p70859206.jpg

The entrance to the main temple one is confronted once agin with small stalls selling the various stuff ( most of religious significance for use in the temple or the funeral pyres ).

I did not enter the temple but turned right at the temple entrance towards the funeral site.

p90165002.jpg

As one enters the crematorium, one sees the funeral pyres on the right and the preparation area on the
left. A thick smoke covers the entire area. I am told the crematorium operates 24x7.

p401109879.jpg

Overcome with grief, a woman is helped by her relative...

p193273587.jpg

pp is hurried and minimal. apologies.