• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New MF cameras announced.

Jerome Marot

Fuji has announced the new GFX 100 MF camera, basically a large GFX 50s with a 100 Mpix sensor. It also includes on-sensor PDAF and in-body stabilisation, which is a first for any MF camera. There is an ongoing review on Dpreview. Price should be around 10000 ($ or €, as it usually goes).

Hasselblad has a tease on their website, of an announcement on 19 june, 14:00 CEST / 8:00 AM EDT. Everybody is expecting the X1D successor, also with 100 Mpix.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fuji has announced the new GFX 100 MF camera, basically a large GFX 50s with a 100 Mpix sensor. It also includes on-sensor PDAF and in-body stabilisation, which is a first for any MF camera. There is an ongoing review on Dpreview. Price should be around 10000 ($ or €, as it usually goes).

Hasselblad has a tease on their website, of an announcement on 19 june, 14:00 CEST / 8:00 AM EDT. Everybody is expecting the X1D successor, also with 100 Mpix.
Jerome,

Yes, I have been waiting for the 100 MP Fuji, but really with Topaz AI enlargement, (which I have yet to try), there may be little advantagecin my studio setting even for 2 meter high prints!

Sony needs to get the Kudos for breaking the Phase One monopoly on these larger sensor chips!

The “in-body” image stabilization really allows use of vintage lenses from Leica to stellar long Canon FD lenses which can be had at a song from KEH!

Asher

Jerome Marot

I would not use vintage lenses with any of these cameras, if I had one. At these resolutions, I want AF to work, because proper focus is essential.

Phase One never had a monopoly, as Hasselblad (and to a lesser extent Pentax and Leica) also had MF cameras. I would expect Hasselblad to announce a follower to their H6D with 150 Mpix, btw.

The attraction of these cameras (if they would cost less than my present car, new...) is that 100 Mpix is starting to reach the maximum resolution that can be used in general photography. We can use more than 100 Mpix, of course, see what Gigapan does. But if we image tridimensional subjects, there is a limit to resolution which comes from the combined constraints of depth of field and diffraction. We are now approaching that limit.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
....The attraction of these cameras (if they would cost less than my present car, new...) is that 100 Mpix is starting to reach the maximum resolution that can be used in general photography. We can use more than 100 Mpix, of course, see what Gigapan does. But if we image tridimensional subjects, there is a limit to resolution which comes from the combined constraints of depth of field and diffraction. We are now approaching that limit.

Jerome,

All good points, except I do not know the math of the optical limits you point out.

I Have several Gigapans! Fabulous machines!

With computational optics and even the current status of AI in Photography we already entered this phase with

1. predictive AF and

2. with Hasselblad’s angular “Focus & Recompose” adjustment using a single central accurate focus point.

But for many decades researchers were using arrays of small cameras to make 3 D models of a scene. One could later select straight, angled or shifted views and obtain computational generated realistic images.

Until recently, apart from “stereo photography”, no major camera company included multiple lenses in an array. Today however it’s normal for higher end mobile phones. I routinely photograph with the “Portrait Mode” where a “wide angle” and a “normal” lens are employed simultaneously. Then one can alter the “aperture” of this “combined lens” to blur the b.g. At one’s whim and fancy!

I imagine that tiny separate cell phone camera chips might be employed either side of the MF camera lens to fine tune b.g.

This knowledge will further allow total recognition of shadows in the high level primary image so that the luminance could theoretically changed erasing or creating shadows perfectly in camera!

So we will see many new advances yet!

But whether it will allow more MP I don’t know.

What I am certain of is that there’s a tremendous space for better ahead use of the image elements we already get from the main sensor we use!

Asher