• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nikon D3300 / TT685II-N settings for bar / club etc photos?

King Mustard

I am a beginner and have no real interest in learning too much about cameras.

I use my camera, a Nikon D3300 (with Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens), in auto mode (minus flash) and it works well enough in daytime photos. I like using spot focus, the background blur looks nice.

I want to start taking it to family events that take place in evenings, such as wedding parties, grandkid's discos etc, as smartphones camera LEDs are rubbish in low light environments.

I recently bought a Godox TT685II-N to 'replace' the camera's built-in flash.

I have the flash in i-TTL mode and camera in auto (with flash).

Is this all I have to do? Or do you suggest changing settings on the camera and/or flash?

All I want is to pick up the camera and go, not mess with settings every time I want to take a photo.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am a beginner and have no real interest in learning too much about cameras.

I use my camera, a Nikon D3300 (with Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens), in auto mode (minus flash) and it works well enough in daytime photos. I like using spot focus, the background blur looks nice.

I want to start taking it to family events that take place in evenings, such as wedding parties, grandkid's discos etc, as smartphones camera LEDs are rubbish in low light environments.

I recently bought a Godox TT685II-N to 'replace' the camera's built-in flash.

I have the flash in i-TTL mode and camera in auto (with flash).

Is this all I have to do? Or do you suggest changing settings on the camera and/or flash?

All I want is to pick up the camera and go, not mess with settings every time I want to take a photo.
I think Will knows more about Godox flash than most of us!

Think about a backlit shot on the beach. Those controls allows you to not have the camera tricked into overexposure of the sky as you attempt to illuminate a person with their back to the bright sky.

I would practice and perhaps you might want to post the trials here to see how it all progesses. I agree with using spot focus.

Some important reminders on differences in EC & FEC in Canon v Nikon cameras!

Beware the with Canon, EC is generalized exposure and is independently controlled from FEC, the flash exposure adjustments.

In your Nikon system, the two are linked. So when adjusting overall exposure (ie background + everything else) this also adjusts the flash adjustments too!

Asher