• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Nude on fender of a car

Model: Hope
Auto: 1951 Jag XK
Camera: Leaf/Mamiya RZ
Lighting (2 main) Paul C Buff PLM/86"

Part of a 40 image set called "Under the Hood"

13702028333_68f35381d9_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

A.K.,

Here you seem to have given your lovely model a metallic sheen. Is this so or am I imagining it or perhaps it's printed on a metallic paper and copied from that? In any case, esthetically it's an interesting way of organically linking the wonderful shapely model with the so handsome car. I also like the pose of the model. Very well done.

It just occurred to me that, no, she's not just contemplating her existence in the world, but actually might have broken down an hour back and desperate, she is doing what she can to get some kind and caring motorist to stop to rescue her from having to stay there all night, alone.

Asher

Were you using a digital back or is this film? Is so what stores do you have?

A.K.,

Here you seem to have given your lovely model a metallic sheen. Is this so or am I imagining it or perhaps it's printed on a metallic paper and copied from that? In any case, esthetically it's an interesting way of organically linking the wonderful shapely model with the so handsome car. I also like the pose of the model. Very well done.

It just occurred to me that, no, she's not just contemplating her existence in the world, but actually might have broken down an hour back and desperate, she is doing what she can to get some kind and caring motorist to stop to rescue her from having to stay there all night, alone.

Asher

Were you using a digital back or is this film? Is so what stores do you have?

This is digital. The pose was her invention, a quick experiment (I assume, we didn't discuss it) If you look at the rest of the series, they are more predictable poses: leaning over the engine, leaning over the hood, etc. This one keeps me looking longer; it doesn't seem to flatter, pander, or titillate. Since the car is already in a well-equipped garage (see background) she should be fine.

Hi,

I'd rather prefer this one: http://www.eleganteye.com/portfolio/#jp-carousel-1851
In the photo shown here there are some tiny mistakes which irritate in relation to the shiny, perfect surface of the photo: the yellow stand in the background and the line of the cars hood behind her left shoulder.

Thanks for the comment. Most people do prefer the other photo. In this one, I tried versions ranging from no cleanup of the background to complete isolation. The only thing I did to this background was to reduce the brightness of the hood in the top left corner.

Asher Kelman

The pose here, again, I must commend for it's lack of shouting sex or allure, but rather some introspection.
'
But how did you get the skin finish? it seems you did something to the mid-tones? What's the general direction of your processing to achieve this "look" where the model and car boast skin of some shared inheritance?

But how did you get the skin finish? it seems you did something to the mid-tones? What's the general direction of your processing to achieve this "look" where the model and car boast skin of some shared inheritance?

I've posted my process here: Photoshop Process for Nude on Classic Jaguar Car. It is a different image, but the same process. It includes a couple of less processed versions for comparison.

Here is a synopsis:

The color temperature is a little warmer than normal. This is partly to balance some blue reflecting from the car onto the model's skin.

In camera, the image was exposed brightly to retain shadow detail. During PAW import, the exposure was reduced to restore the desired tonality.

Because there are only two lights, and neither is frontal, I added some fill light in Camera RAW. I also increased the blacks setting to keep from washing out the deep shadows.

I used a maximum clarity setting of 100. This gives an outline effect where light and dark areas meet, for example, the edge of the body. I would not normally use a setting over 20.

In Photoshop, I applied a gradient map, with soft light at 18% to give the shadows coolness and the warmth to the highlights. This effect is subtle.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll update the blog post.

Chris Heilman

For some reason, this picture is a bit funny - as in humorous. The look on her face is like she's thinking that her sitting there naked and all is perfectly normal, and is questioning someone off camera. Great idea, the others in the series are good, but I think this one is the best.

Paul Abbott

I find the pose awkward and contrived, just look at her hands. The fact that it was the model who insisted on posing this way says a lot. After all, what does she know, it's down to the photographer to have a vision and to see that the form and composition work, and to flatter the form of the model in contrast with her surroundings. This just looks odd, unflattering, unbalanced and the lighting is harsh...
If her nudity is an issue and to be covered, then I would have thought it could have been done much more artistically and naturally.

I find the pose awkward and contrived, just look at her hands. The fact that it was the model who insisted on posing this way says a lot. After all, what does she know, it's down to the photographer to have a vision and to see that the form and composition work, and to flatter the form of the model in contrast with her surroundings. This just looks odd, unflattering, unbalanced and the lighting is harsh...
If her nudity is an issue and to be covered, then I would have thought it could have been done much more artistically and naturally.

I think this comment says more about you than anything. Nobody says she insisted on the pose, it was one of many. I work in a collaborative fashion with my models. I never said my goal with the shot was flattery. Nowhere did we say her nudity was an issue.

Asher Kelman

[/CENTER]

I hadn't realized, but the pose also seems to mimic the crossed struts in a steel building, as if the model, like the car is made in a factory and thus they're related....just a connection that seems obvious to me now.

Asher

I think this photo brilliant. Unlike many glamour shots in which the outlook revolves around the model as a beautiful 'object', this one illustrates her as a person, raising the question of what outside the context of the photo grabs her attention so strongly.

Asher Kelman

On the pose and who invents it!

This is digital. The pose was her invention, a quick experiment (I assume, we didn't discuss it) If you look at the rest of the series, they are more predictable poses: leaning over the engine, leaning over the hood, etc. This one keeps me looking longer; it doesn't seem to flatter, pander, or titillate. Since the car is already in a well-equipped garage (see background) she should be fine.

Paul,

Immediately you garnish our support when you demand that the photographer personally direct artistic photography. This almost seems self-obvious and in stark contrast to, "documenting (albeit with flair"), in street, editorial or news photography or without esthetic considerations in scientific or forensic photography. But on reflection, it may not be that clearcut that, in photography with nudes, the muse or model should be directed principally by the photographer to materialize his/her creative intent. Still, your comment does seem a tad dismissive and perhaps needs balancing by giving the following perspective.

With photographers and models who often work together, a symbiotic dynamic can develop.

By example, I once talked to Jock Sturges about his directing of models. He told me that he just points to where they should "be" and has them present themselves as they feel. I admit to thinking that was incredulous. However, he assured me that there is interaction but not guidance and never instrcution.

From my own experience, I might tell Kate, who models for me, "OK, now you can be "Happy Kate" with your great smile!", as that is her "normal" mode! Often I ask her to think of some serious issue and look away from me. But other times she just moves and pauses after I position her next to a chair or by a vase of Sunflowers on a stand against black b.g., for example. She responds to that particular setting so she fits in with it. I'll give her simple instructions every 10 -20 seconds modifying the basic position in which she attempts to express what I ask for. Sometimes, she then progresses so that she can change positions progressively, each one being a great variation, but all in the boundaries of what I am searching for.

Other models just need to be just specifically directed to a position on or next to a chair, for example, and then they become comfortable and one with that mini-world and it becomes perfect to my mind.

Each model requires different direction, in my experience. It's a balance between a personal communication, an independent self-valuation of the person plus "sense of being" by the model with the emotive "broadcast" between the model and the photographer, (which comes in the form of eye contact, facial expression and verbal instruction). With some models, one has to let the matter "blow in the wind" like a silk garment and release control, to find its transient shape that catches the eye.

In this case, the shot of this nude on a beautiful car, would never have been made by me. That's neither my my need or vocation. Still, I must, being open, allow for the artist's choice in this matter. To judge it, I'd only do so in the context of an array of images in his set of 40 images. After all, this picture, alone, might indeed ask "But why the nude, if we don't celebrate the form to the nth?", but in the context of the entire set of images, one might find it fitting.

I'd not claim this is "fine art", but it's competent and has its market! This reminds me of the "Art" work used by Ridgid™ to sell its tools, but modernized to have attitude of indifference rather than "girly-girly-glamor" friendliness, which was also pretentious but also worked for its needs.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Just a jog of your esthetic meters: is this art?

All photography is art. (Even that used to prepare circuit boards for etching, formally defined as "art".)

I'm glad you did not ask if it is "fine art".

It certainly is a fine model. And a fine automobile. And a fine shot.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Growing on me! Yes it's art! I'd love to see more work with this model. It seems she could have a lot of individuality and chapter up her sleeve to express!

Asher