• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photography of Boring Products

Robert Watcher

I haven’t done any studio type product photography for clients, in 25 years since I had my Main Street Photo Studio. But the pandemic has caused me to recognize the potential of making a little income if products are small, and can be shipped to my home.

I would love to be creative by only accepting products that I could really make sizzle, but a client is a client. The budget is only a few hundred dollars, and so I can only spend so much time on the shoot - and with the content, I have just kept it simple - making sure the package is lit well and text is sharp (used my Olympus 35mm macro lens). FedEx showed up at my door with a package containing 3 plastic plastic kits of each chemical product that this company sells. As well as 5 plastic spray bottles with their label on it, and a large yellow plastic moulded container that they sell for mixing 2 gallon quantities.

Anne and I are staying in a very small 3 room apartment, until it is safe to travel down south again. And so I made use of Anne’s computer desk in the corner of our bedroom this morning. The foam core, coloured papers, clamps and tape I grabbed at the local dollar store. We have two LED bedroom lights that have controllable colour temperature, that I used to light the setup. Anne thought it was funny and took a couple shots of my setup.

DB4C5216-19C8-400F-97FC-2A94E55CFE63.jpeg

4A614BAE-BC73-43FD-AA4A-D95A5EB61DF8.jpeg

1CC1826D-B3FC-4B6D-BEA4-6FBE191FCF85.jpeg

this pic shows how small and rather insignificant the product is in hand

48922D61-9E86-4DE3-AB61-37226BC8287B.jpeg

This is one of current photos from the e-Commerce Shop, that they are having me replace

012424F6-9781-4CBC-B481-482AA597C7B2.jpeg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You are very adaptable. The company is so fortunate. How on earth did they find you?

It’s an honorable $ earned. My respect!

Asher

Robert Watcher

You are very adaptable. The company is so fortunate. How on earth did they find you?

It’s an honorable $ earned. My respect!

Asher

thank you Asher.

Actually fortunate for me that I have connections. This company has hosted their website on my servers for several years. They did a rebranding at the start of 2019, and hired a web design company to handle their marketing and adapt their dated website.

They hated the results and asked me to redo their website a few months ago (https://freshstart.pro/) as well as to build them another website for a new product they are introducing to Canada (https://nstaglove.ca/). Not knowing that I am a photographer, they asked if I knew anyone to reshoot their product with the new labeling to go along with the new fresh website design. And guess what —— I did. LOL

Congrats on the job, Robert. Nice equal lighting that shows off their product well. It's incredible they didn't know that you were a photographer; perhaps now they might even have more work for you. Pleased for you! :) Maggie

Very Nice...!!!
Many beginner photographers think that product photography is a bit dull. But if you do it right, it can be quite exciting. You can get really creative when shooting photos, but you need to know how to make them shine.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Very Nice...!!!
Many beginner photographers think that product photography is a bit dull. But if you do it right, it can be quite exciting. You can get really creative when shooting photos, but you need to know how to make them shine.
Please provide your real name, as we are a small group of photographers and for mutual respect, we give our First and Family Names!

Asher