• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Pleased with this bee!

Paul Iddon

We got a small bee hotel in autumn last year and I have placed it on the wall in the garden and let it become naturalised.

Now I'm pleased as punch to find a red mason bee taking up residence.

Bee_House_a-XL.jpg

Red_Mason_Bee_d-XL.jpg

Red_Mason_Bee_a-XL.jpg

Red_Mason_Bee_b-XL.jpg

Red_Mason_Bee_c-XL.jpg

Paul.

Brooke Cagle

The photograph of the bee is well-composed and captures the subject in a natural and unposed way. The bee is the image's main focus, and it is well-lit and in sharp focus. The background is blurred, which helps to draw attention to the subject. The image's colours are muted, giving the image a calm and peaceful feel. Overall, this is a well-taken photograph that captures the beauty of nature.

Jerome Marot

That last one is a common honeybee. Nice picture, they are not easy to photograph when foraging.

The first one is a different kind of bee, possibly in the genus osmia.

Jerome Marot

Yes, several. For once: the way they breathe limits their size. They don't have lungs, but spiracles: little openings along their bodies, connected to a duct bring oxygen directly to the organs. The ducts are difficult to ventilate if they are too long.
Their exoskeleton also causes problem: first it does no grow (which is the reason for the larvae and metamorphosis, although some insects and marine arthropods can shed it and grow again) and the way the joints are designed is not adapted to large structures, especially if they need to bear weight. Marine arthropods can grow larger (and even that has limits), but they don't bear the weight.

Last edited: