• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Polluted lake

Antonio Correia

The group visited yesterday the 22 May a polluted area of a pyrite mine which has been abandoned for a long time.
As the excavations went deed on earth, the phreatic surface of the waters comes up slowly degrading the ambient, showing some beautiful diversity of textures and colours.

i-MGPMv27-X4.jpg

Last edited:
The group visited yesterday the 22 May a polluted area of a pyrite mine which has been abandoned for a long time.
As the excavations went deed on earth, the phreatic surface of the waters comes up slowly degrading the ambient, showing some beautiful diversity of textures and colours.

i-czkmFLS-X4.jpg
the rocks are amazing; too bad it pollutes the water and makes it very acidic.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It got me thinking about those beautiful cubic and other geometric pyrite crystals! What a beautiful result of chemistry!

DF135495-1BFB-4BD4-8C9B-1FE2AA45111C.jpeg

Asher

Asher Kelman

Some of the crystals are spectacular!

1E55A57A-7820-45AC-95CB-8BCE49F41D7B.jpeg

They have called this beautiful Iron Sulfide (Pyrite) Crystal , “fools gold” but it’s just iron and sulfur!

I am inspired to use such shapes in a new sculpture!

Asher

Asher Kelman

And you are doing well Asher, using the natural formations of pyrite in your works ! :)
Cheers ! :)
Only inspired by you, Antonio!

Who took me to an estuary with a boat that was still dying and being reclaimed by nature?

who made me dream of flamingos decorated those waters?

Until now I had no idea how amazing they are! I always learn from each post. Each keeps my brain sharp!

Thanks for providing new visions!

Asher

Asher Kelman

So, Antonio,

Is this acid lake in Portugal? Here, in the USA, the Environmental Protection Agency would sue the mining companies to have them clean up the site. It could cost many millions of dollars. If need be, Congress Uses a “Superfund” to clean up such sites.

What does Portugal and the rest of the EU do in these cases?

I imagine in the former Soviet block there are thousands such disaster sites!

Asher

When I read about the fool's gold. When I was a kid, we would bring home rocks that we would find and think it was gold, but of course, it was fool's gold. But being that I live in an area that has gold mines, w

Asher Kelman

When I read about the fool's gold. When I was a kid, we would bring home rocks that we would find and think it was gold, but of course, it was fool's gold. But being that I live in an area that has gold mines, w
I onset how Cities can just allow sulphuric acid lakes to sit and ruin the landscape!

It seems very exploitative by industry!

Asher

Antonio Correia

These mines are abandoned for many years now. In Portugal the government cares very little about this kind of things.
It is a shame yes, it is but it is what it is ! LOL
Here is a piece of machinery also abandoned in the area

i-6Kr8h75-X4.jpg

Asher Kelman

These mines are abandoned for many years now. In Portugal the government cares very little about this kind of things.

i-6Kr8h75-X4.jpg
Is that exterior to the building?

I would have thought there’s money just in recycling bricks! If this were in Los Angeles, it would be taken apart and thr bricks would become houses in Mexico!
Asher

Asher Kelman

Portugal is sleeping now but it will become a recognized treasure for its location, sea coast and wonderful people and food!

I struggle with Spanish. I love the sound of Portuguese and recognize its beauty but it’s so isolated except for the massive Portuguese cultures of the Comunidade dos Países de Língua Portuguesa From Portugal and Goa to Guinea Beau, Mozambique and Brazil!

Asher

Asher Kelman

i-6Kr8h75-X4.jpg

Antonio,

Because of this thread and you thus introducing me to Pyrite, I have been studying a lot!

I have become drawn to the architectural beauty of pyrite crystals. I have purchase specimens from all over, but not Portugal!

Athere still Pyrite mines functioning anywhere in Portugal.

How close it it to Setúbal?

if you visit the site, explore the rocks. They are valuable enough to regularly make money on eBay.

Just know that a stunning outcrop can crumble apart and need repairing to have the clusters that are so amazing.

Asher