• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Portraits of Children Series by Charlotte Thompson

Charlotte Thompson

another take- just short of the other- closer crop to capture
I love the capture=
one song another dance-

DSC_0110.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
another take- just short of the other- closer crop to capture
I love the capture=
one song another dance-

DSC_0110.jpg

Charlotte,

I like the pic but watch out for over sharpening. The hair has halos on each stand. Use only 0.2 to 0.5 pixel sharpening. Could we see that again, cured?

Thanks,

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

your request! and a tad of recrop- also did you look at the recent shot/with colorings of Peyton-I tried to make it look as though a painting- the one below the BandW of Parker-

DSC_0110NEF.jpg

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Charlotte,
The first image is my choice for sure! She has such beautiful eyes. Maybe that's something you can concentrate on as a "subcategory" in the series: "Expression, through her Eyes".

Charlotte Thompson

Hey John

good idea and I think that's what I am working toward-
thanks for you comments my friend! always appreciate your good eyes-

Charlotte-

Charlotte Thompson

Parker and his loves

any comments or crits welcome
these 2 girls are in puppy love with Parker
they come by from time to time on the weekend so I can try for some candid works

Parker Valentino wanna not be-

DSC_0054.jpg

Raena

DSC_0032-1.jpg

Haylee

DSC_0008-2.jpg

Asher Kelman

Charlotte,

I look at your pictures wherever they are, LOL! Just what is the lass doing?

I happen to like this kind of presentation but question your technique. Instead of processing and having grainy hair, try to light it so the pixels are committed to the detail. The hair can still be imaged cleanly.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

ok guys ha ha! really funny!
now that all the fun stuff has been put down on paper for me and the world to see
try to act your age and give me some mature ideas-

she happens to be taking a bath
cleaning her face like we all do

I like the ps work and the candid pose

try to keep your wits about you if thats possible and comment

btw
thanks Asher

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

now that all the fun stuff has been put down on paper for me and the world to see

btw
thanks Asher

Charlotte-
Hi Charlotte,

It's regretable that the pose resembled something less elegant. I must admit I was wondering! However, we should remember that people will read what's on paper or the screen and not what you intent is as you may have wished. This is a very good learning point. We should not pander to other people's taste to the extent that we degrade our own artistry. Still, it's useful to think ahead about how work might be interpreted.

Again, I like the general idea of the tonal distribution but instead of doing it in PS, try to do it with lighting and get the most out of the gear you have. That would mean defining the hair. This picture does not, as far as I can imagine, the hair to be granular. At least that's not my impression.

Now you have a sense of what you want the picture to look like, think of lighting her that way so each mm of the image is well rendered. That's just my thoughts for you to progress in photography, ultimately it's best in most cases to plan lighting in relationship to what your final image will be, as opposed to pushing pixels through to an alternate universe.

I'd like to know what you think about that.

I am not worried about that pose, (except, perhaps that you selected it gives me pause). That pose in itself is not important. She will give you the correct pose when the time is ripe. Whatis paramount, to my mind at least, is to decide that you want a certain look and then labor towards lighting her that way.

Asher

Last edited:

james sperry

Again, I like the general idea of the tonal distribution but instead of doing it in PS, try to do it with lighting and get the most out of the gear you have. That would mean defining the hair. This picture does not, as far as I can imagine, the hair to be granular. At least that's not my impression.

Asher

hello charlotte,
i like the composition and the candid style. it's very nice. but, at the same time it's also 'cute' because you have to admit, the image does convey she is doing one of those 'kid things'. so i have to say it is a little distracting to look at it as serious photo (by itself). in the series, it would have more of a 'lead-in' and probably be better understood.

i have a question in regards to the grain in the picture. was this intentional or did this happen during resizing? don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking the image. i only ask because when i resize my images, i get this same effect and it is most noticeable wih the hair. but, with some sizes everything is detailed like the orginal shot. does a person just have to deal with the REsizes that are detailed or is there a different process to use where every resize is detailed?

james sperry

hey again!!

i forgot to tell you that my wife and i both enjoy your images of your granddaughter, peyton. they really are wonderful (as are all of the images posted here in opf) but, the only reason that i have not commented is that i'm a little reluctant to offer comments on a style that, i myself am not good at (portraits). not personally knowing you, would you be offended if i just said, 'nice image'? to me, something like that just sounds so .... "i'm looking but not seeing"...... regardless, my apologies that i just walked by and said nothing. friends? :)

Ken Tanaka

pro member

btw
thanks Asher

Charlotte-

My wits were about me when I posted earlier.

You post a single, severely worked-over snapshot of a nose-picking baby, sans contextual objectives, and you honestly want to be hailed as a master and do not expect the image to be seen as pure humor? That's Charlotte. Time and again you've received constructive remarks for your images, often from genuinely accomplished professionals. But it's become abundantly clear that you've no genuine interest in receiving anything but plaudits. Meaningful commentary on single snapshots of any kind is normally an utter waste of time. But it's always a waste when the snapper is partially tone-deaf and often semi-coherent.

I'm sorry to sound harsh. But since you've taken your usual stance I thought I'd share some truth.

Charlotte Thompson

james

well good question- although I like to make a picture with ps work look more than a just a traditional photo
I am in much study of this-
I think it may come with the ps work as far as the grain and then again in the original light source-

Charlotte-

these were taken at the same time and I left them in original color

DSC_0940-2.jpg

DSC_0926.jpg

DSC_0933-1.jpg

james sperry

james

well good question- although I like to make a picture with ps work look more than a just a traditional photo
I am in much study of this-
I think it may come with the ps work as far as the grain and then again in the original light source-

Charlotte-

that part i understand, you want to have your own style for the images.

the second photo that you posted would be a good image to work on :)

Cem_Usakligil

please don't put this in Riskit-
Sorry but I have decided to move it anyway since the picture adds no value or anything new with respect to the portfolio pictures in the riskit forum.

My wits were about me when I posted earlier.

You post a single, severely worked-over snapshot of a nose-picking baby, sans contextual objectives, and you honestly want to be hailed as a master and do not expect the image to be seen as pure humor? That's Charlotte. Time and again you've received constructive remarks for your images, often from genuinely accomplished professionals. But it's become abundantly clear that you've no genuine interest in receiving anything but plaudits. Meaningful commentary on single snapshots of any kind is normally an utter waste of time. But it's always a waste when the snapper is partially tone-deaf and often semi-coherent.

I'm sorry to sound harsh. But since you've taken your usual stance I thought I'd share some truth.
I totally agree with Ken, I am glad he has answered you before I could. My answer would definitely be harsher.

Charlotte Thompson

Ken

For me no matter whar a photographer posts- it isn't good manners to make such ado "really about nothing"
the child does what a child does-
and
no I in no way" think I am a master of any sort-just learning"

also

But it's always a waste when the snapper is partially tone-deaf and often semi-coherent.

Today 10:09 AM Ken Tanaka-

how rude you are! I am amazed at the level of insults one must endure in this forum

sharing your truth Mr. Tanaka cannot in any way" Be the Truth"
I am not tone deaf or semi-coherent

I honestly saw the shot as candid and real as far as a child does- and nothing and never saw what you saw and displayed-

Charlotte-

Cem_Usakligil

how rude you are! I am amazed at the level of insults one must endure in this forum

sharing your truth Mr. Tanaka cannot in any way" Be the Truth"
I am not tone deaf or semi-coherent
Charlotte,

Nobody has insulted you but you yourself. I am locking down this thread till you cool down and apologize properly.

Asher Kelman

Charlotte,

I'm replying here since I have already written privately without effect. It's important for us to clarify what has gone on. When this matter is remedied by you, I intend to move the negative discussion to storage so we can focus on photography.

In OPF, we devote attention to nurturing everyone's work and contributing new pictures. The latter are carefully considered and prepared. Having spent all this effort, I find that there's diversion here from photography to snaps where there's no evidence of response to many suggestions for improvement. That decreases interest in your work. I have persisted, despite this, as I do find a line of potential artistic yield that the folks might appreciate too. However, you bury what's worthy in a flood of snaps that you feel since you made them, therefore you should show them all.

Here, everyone including myself thought you just made a bad joke on yourself showing a child seemingly picking her nose. You now call this "candid". I really don't know what you can mean by that! To me it's not something that fits in to our culture of material and that we can enjoy seeing and take seriously. Scratching one's arse or picking one's nose are, indeed, normal human actions. However, it's not a "candid moment" to my mind. Rather, like wiping one's butt, it's private and not pleasant to look at. Is it excluded from art? No, not at all.

Perhaps, when MOCA or MOMA or other national gallery has a retrospect of your body of work, this picture might be included, but not now. I'm not being sarcastic, but sincere. Who knows you may become nationally recognized and such a pose would be considered, "edgy" and "candidi", but not now!

You said of Ken, one of the most helpful photographers here, "try to keep your wits about you if thats possible and comment" so naturally he responded in the same vein and with appropriate interest! What could one expect? If you think your picture was "candid" and should be tolerated, then so are his remarks.

We have to protect the atmosphere for focusing on the path to better artistic and technical expression. You didn't respond to my careful advice on lighting as the way to prepare you end result for the delivered image. You don't value and respond to that, rather continue to respond as someone wounded.

Well, we don't like this in our community. If you value the help I and others try to give you and with the greatest kindness, you must rethink your position.

You started this ball rolling in the direction it did by the choice of an image which, on it's face value, just calls for loose and irreverent comments. We all thought that was your intention. The main point I have made on planning and lighting the picture, irrespective of pose, you have ignored. What's important to you is being "right". You do not need anyone to agree with your vision but you cannot ignore the social reality of what you initiate. For that you must take responsibility.

This thread is closed to allow cool off. When you see fit to bring calm to this, do so. I'll could clean up the thread once you make amends to folk here. It's a matter of courtesy to at least myself who has devoted so much time to supporting your efforts.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

..This thread is closed to allow cool off. When you see fit to bring calm to this, do so. ...
Hi All,

I think we all have cooled off enough by now. It is about time we put this chapter behind us and move forward in a constructive and respectful manner. The thread is reopened for your kind contributions.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Charlotte,

This is a cute portrait of "that guy". He is so charming and he has this mischievous look in his eyes as always. That makes me, up to a certain degree, ignore the technical shortcomings of the picture. Instead, I simply look at and enjoy the whole.

Having said this, I’d like to point out to a couple of the problem areas which you might improve upon in your next session. The lighting is an issue. The hat is overblown whereas the eyes are not exposed well. Normally, you could try using a reflector under his face to add some fill light to his face. Next, the focusing is not on the eyes but on the bridge of his nose. I know that it is not easy to get this right even when one is using a professional camera and lenses. But it can be done. You may have to focus manually and also make sure that you use an f number such as f8 (but not much higher than that) to give some depth of field. And lastly, the crop is not optimal. You can crop more of the hat from the top till only the brim remains visible but I’d like to see the top of his chin included in the frame. Hope this helps.