• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Portraits of Children Series by Charlotte Thompson

Doug Earle

Charlotte:
I'm surprised that no one has commented as of yet, so I guess I'll break the ice. First, great concept and prop. I love the facial expressions and playfulness of this series.

The reflected flash is bothersome, to me....I wish that you'd turned the flash off and shot natural light only. That probably would have kept the exposures more constant as well. #2 has the most pleasing skin tones, to my eye, whereas the others are so very pale. #2 is also a great, focussed, strong expression, but the condensation from her breath on the glass looks like a "runny nose", to use the polite term, which sorta ruins the shot for me. I wish #3 had the same skin tones as #2 and you could photoshop out the flash reflection.

Just my thoughts. I hope others will chime in.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Charlotte,

Is it a set where none can be lost or do we choose just one. I'll come back to this in a moment. This is a fresh concept. # 2 the best color sat.

Best show just the best! :)

The pale ones don't add anything but calibrate our view to a lower impact.

If all are needed, put them up smaller and side by side or in two rows so one can see them all simultaneously.

I'd retouch it as suggested by Doug or else re-shoot.

The child? As always, a darling!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Doug

Thank you for such a good crit- these were experiments of course I am still learning light and ps and all the rest of it
the pale color is her natural skin tone and #2 is ps work-I posted the real skin and ps for the reason to see which was perferred regarding the natural versus the ps skin tone-
also the home is very low light that's why I used the flash and yes the reflection od the flash should have been taken out-you are right-just another little thing I should pay attention with- Thanks again-I do appreciate your insight!

Charlotte-

Asher

I guess you could read my reply to Doug and answer to your crits- an experiment only in its successions-the natural skin is pale as I said to Doug and #2 is ps-
concept is different yes but I saw that as the child thought she was hiding from the camerabehind her spy glass- too cute not to catch-

Charlotte-

John Angulat

pro member
Hi Charlotte,
I think you're on to something there with the spyglass! It makes for a very interesting prop. That coupled with an adorable child - presto! Instant smiles!
One thing I noted in each of the images was a relatively high degree of graininess/noise. I feel that detracts from the overall quality of the images. Was this a result of PS processing? I also noted you shot these at a high ISO (1600), but also used a flash - any particular reason for that combo? The D40 is an excellent camera but I'd keep the ISO no more than 400 for now. The D40 doesn't have the best reputation for high ISO performance.
Shoot some more, I'd love to see them!

Charlotte Thompson

John

thank you- I think it is my ineptness still learning this camera and all its capabilities-
LOL I still screw up sometimes on flash/natural light ect. but I am not stopped!

This is her after the "spy glass" shoot thinking she would hide in the blanket I put a slight softening around her face- she is a divine subject for me I have done a lot with her-

DSC_0036-1.jpg

John Angulat

pro member
Don't ever say "ineptness"...

...we all like to think we're on a "learning curve"
icon7.gif

I love this image, she looks so sweet and adorable.
Well done!

Doug Earle

Charlotte:
I agree with John: You aren't inept, in fact you are very "ept" with a very good eye; just unfamiliar with the features of your camera, which will come as you progress on the learning curve.

This portrait is outstanding. I like the softness.........it's not overdone. I imagine it would work without the softening as well. Great job.

Charlotte Thompson

John

thank you! the always elusive image huh?- you are too kind my friend-I always appreciate what you have to say about my efforts-

Doug
wow I really didn't expect such wonderful response-your support and encouragement are so appreciated- learning is always in learning" and yes it also looks charming in bandw- thank you so so much- now I feel like I might be able to capture a thing from time to time-

Can you not take any photographs instead of that child? You know, you are endangered to be called an artist because of that obsession! As ridiculous as it is, this **** happens all the time!

Which would not do you any good I suppose, in opposite!

Hey, ....seriously!....

....have peace in your life Charlotte

....!

Charlotte Thompson

and further more I am not!

if you dont like my work and trying
then go away_ I ama very beginner
I work with what I have
and
I dare you- to tell me what I shoot and dont shoot-
damn!

Charlotte-

Charlotte Thompson

but they do matter-\they do

we are all in this together-\\

what I do is -learning- I amin this place and this time to learn
what I show is what I want to learn-

my subect
should not be an alternative- who the f- cares- I just want to learn!

C-

....do not get me on the wrong foot here please!

:)

Keep on doing what you are doing by all means!

But do not make her addicted to the "presence of a lense" in early years please!

P.S.
Did you want critique or not?

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Charlotte: Against my better judgement, I'd like to offer a constructive comment of guidance.

It is absolutely natural to take copious photographs of loved ones, particularly our children. (I assume this is your daughter?) Though I've no hard stats to support this, I've no doubt that children sell more cameras each year than any other influence. New parents become understandably snap-happy and believe that most of their photos are real trophies. But while such snaps may hold special fondness to the photographer they're usually just standard baby pictures to strangers (such as George and me).

I would certainly not recommend that you stop photographing your children. But if you're seeking photographic critique I offer two suggestions. First, be more selective of what you post for critique and perhaps ask for specific guidance.

Second, consider posting these in a different section, such as the portraits section. Asher's conceptual goal for this "Risk It" section, to the extent I understand it, is that it's an area for skilled photographers to post work outside their normal skillset.
At any stage of experience we must still explore new areas where we are perhaps not yet fully expert or else have new ideas to kick around. Pictures might not meet exhibition, client or even our own highest standards. Critique will be tough love!
But baby portraiture seems to be your primary objective. So I think the portrait section might offer you a better audience.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Critique

Hi Charlotte:

Peyton is certainly photogenic and adorable. These are very sweet. Do they have value? - Yes, of course.
For learning purposes, certainly. For photos of her as she grows - of course.

The first one is a cute capture. You did well with the depth of field, but the angle of light has caused her undereye area to be puffy. The lighting is also flat. How did you shoot it? What is the exif?

The second, compositionally, you did not give her space to look. Pretend there is a tic-tack-toe board over the image. She shoud be in one of the intersections of the board. And she should have room to lead you to where she is looking. That would give great improvement. Same wit the light above. There is a teeny piece of finger in the shot. Crop it out. Never cut limbs.

And the third - too shallow dof. Her one eye is out of focus. Again part of her hand is in the shot. Bump up the color/saturation as with the others.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlotte Thompson

Georg Ken and Kathy

Georg she isn't addicted at all I am lucky when I can capture her

the idea behind Riskit was made for those of us who are learning that is why I stay in here- yes I am in love with portraits, children and adults- I choose to shoot alot of Peyton because she is a model type" just as any fashion photography uses the same model over and over again-different looks poses etc. I have shot many different children and adults in this forum since I have been in this OPF- I guess maybe you haven't seen them-
what I do is VERY important to me- and I do value opinions but in the end you take this and that and learn to make your own recipe
this is a study in focus and light and capture and color- and maybe at times experiment as in the last shot- no more no less-

Charlotte-

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Thank you?

Hey Charlotte:

I certainly agree that you are lucky to have a great subject like Peyton. I have to borrow kids to photograph when I want to play with newer techniques to me.

But there is a point that if someone is giving you their time to view and critique that you respond with some acknowledgement that they have done so. Otherwise, those of us that have already taken the class are just wasting their time. There is no better payment than a quick thank you.

Charlotte Thompson

Kathy

I would like to think I was an adult and in that doesn't need to be slapped on the hand for whatever response I give- I do have my own way of responding and I do think my response was very appropriate- I most always write thank you-appreciate you etc. so in this response I guess I didn't do that but I do have that choice-

Charlotte-

Bill Miller

Charlotte, By posting in Rickit the "Critique will be tough love!

Various members have given you tips. The one thing that is consistant in your photos is the focus is always soft.
In looking back to October here is an example, compare the detail of the eyes.

DSC_1122.jpg

in each of us we have a mystery- I do so want to capture that-

DSC_0008-1.jpg

These are the sharpest, however digital files need to be sharpened. Use USM in PS or Nik's sharpner. Also shooting at f4 you only have several inches DOF. What was the distance to your subject??

Charlotte Thompson

Bill
Hi- well I think I was way to close maybe not even a foot and yes I seem to forget the sharpness venue as sometimes I work late into the night and my brain goes fuzzy (a blonde moment)
here are a few I took the same night and did a sharp ps on them and a bit of color-This Christmas I am going to get to do some work with a D700- a friend has one-and I will try to see a difference in cameras- anywho here they are- "She is my beautiful little fair-ee"

DSC_0007-3.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Bill Miller

Your distance to subject leave you little if any DOF. At 1' f4 you have 0 [zero] DOF. Step back to 8' and you will have the following DOF

Also shine a brighter light towards her eyes. The pupil will close showing the eye color.

Subject distance 8 ft

Depth of field
Near limit 7.87 ft
Far limit 8.14 ft
Total 0.27 ft

In front of subject 0.13 ft (49%)
Behind subject 0.14 ft (51%)

Charlotte Thompson

Bill

ok excellent info-thank you o bunches
gonna try that, yes- I get carried away with the beauty of the art and not so much the tech's of it
geesh- and the flash I am experimenting with moving it from front to top to back positions-
thanks again- this is great information!

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Charlotte: better pictures in 3 and 4.

Bill is very helpful on focus issue. Her eyes should sparkle! They are lovely and we should always see that as her trademark!

Asher

Shortly Cem or I will start assembling a number of posts on your beautiful young lady in one Riskit! Thread so we can follow the progress of your fabulous project without searching back and forth between threads.

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

wow how cool is that! Thank you! I feel very honored indeed-
I took Bill's advice immdeiately and came out with these of Parker
he just got a Christmas present from mom and dad The DC beanie- a skateboarder he is -
can you see any difference in focus and flash staying forward and about 8' feet away
again Thank you!

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

...Shortly Cem or I will start assembling a number of posts on your beautiful young lady in one Riskit! Thread so we can follow the progress of your fabulous project without searching back and forth between threads.

....wow how cool is that! Thank you! I feel very honored indeed-
Hi Charlotte,

I have taken upon the gargantuan task of consolidating your prolific posts into main topic threads in the riskit forum so that we can follow the progress of your fabulous projects without searching back and forth between threads as Asher wrote.

So far, I have concluded that the appropriate main topics would be following. This is just to get the ball rolling. You may, of course, suggest a different way of categorizing and/or titles for the main topics. It is your body of work, after all. :)

1) Portraits of children
This is where all the regular color, sepia or b&w portraits of children belong. You have done a lot of work in this area, the numbers alone are mind boggling. If one sees the various pictures together, only then one starts to realize the scale of the development of your work and the invaluable advice you’ve been given by many OPF members.

2) Expression in photography
You have a body of work dedicated to expressing yourself as an artist, especially in the areas of color shifts and/or overlays. Also specials series such as Tinkerbelle and/or soft focus ones belong here as well.

All other posts will remain individually, as they are now.

So what do you think, would you agree to this? Please let me know so I can get started.

Cheers,

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Kathy

I would like to think I was an adult and in that doesn't need to be slapped on the hand for whatever response I give- I do have my own way of responding and I do think my response was very appropriate- I most always write thank you-appreciate you etc. so in this response I guess I didn't do that but I do have that choice-

Charlotte-

Just as those who take their time to respond have a choice to ignore or respond to a request.