• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge for Pictures in a Series: Motif or Concept Post your home style food photos here , Lasagna yum yum!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tonight Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

Asher Kelman: “Mushrooms Ready for Baking”

Recipe include vegetarian sausage, black beans, brown rice, red onions, garlic, Mariana sauce, sautéed for 15 minutes and then added to mushrooms on a pan in more marinara sauce and baked 380 degrees F, 30 minutes!

Asher Kelman: “Mushrooms in Steam Oven”

This is to be served with a fresh fig salad.

Asher

Jerome Marot

More "home food" pictures. We have an excess of plums and tomatoes this season. One way to preserve them is to add salt and allow them to ferment.

Asher Kelman

Allons au restaurant, pour un bon dessert…

NCL6113-1-1722x1280.jpg

Tarte, pâte sablée, melons et pomme

Nicolas,

What a delight for the eyes!

I wondered about “pâté sablée”!

So I discovered it’s a pastry pie with a crust shell. That explains the reference to sablé, or “sand”!

Watch a French chef, (sometimes using fingers as extra scraping tools), delightfully show how he makes them!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

How come you add salt? Does that stimulate yeast, inhibit bacteria or what?

Of course this showed up more of my trans-cultural ignorance! I discovered this is also an Eastern European favorite especially with Vodka or as a condiment. Some folk swear by the brine after a night of drinking!

Asher

My favourite, every day. Small changes. And after dinner, always a mix of vanilla and chocolate ice-cream. Every day is a food party =)

Attachments

• pellemums_900.jpg
    pellemums_900.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 195
  • pellemums4.jpg
    pellemums4.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 197

Jerome Marot

I wondered about “pâté sablée”!

So I discovered it’s a pastry pie with a crust shell. That explains the reference to sablé, or “sand”!

It is: pâte sablée. Pâté is a meat preserve. Pâte sablée is simply a kind of shortbread. It uses a little less butter than what the Scotts use for shorbread biscuits. It is traditionally used for "tartes", which are like pie but without the top layer of pastry.

Jerome Marot

How come you add salt? Does that stimulate yeast, inhibit bacteria or what?

Of course this showed up more of my trans-cultural ignorance! I discovered this is also an Eastern European favorite especially with Vodka or as a condiment. Some folk swear by the brine after a night of drinking!

Yes, salt precludes the wrong type of fermentation to occur, as the Russians have found ages ago. Your citation is in error BTW: East Europeans would not have preserved tomatoes in this way for centuries, but other fruits. Tomatoes are native to the Americas and were unknown in large part of Europe as late as the early 20th century.

Jerome Marot

Do drinks count as food? I made walnut leaf wine yesterday.

First, you will need walnut leaves. This is a leaf, it is composed of leaflets (I had someone ask me what I meant by "leaf" once, as the quantities would obviously be different). You'll need to do this in summer, as young leaves have not acquired the right taste yet.

For 1,5l you will need about 7 leaves. Chop them in tiny pieces and fill a container. I use a plastic bottle as cleaning the container from the leaves is next to impossible afterwards:

Then add the wine. You can add a mix of 1l dark, strong red wine, 100-150g sugar and 1/4l alcohol (Rhum, Cognac, Vodka, any will do). You can also use Port wine, as I did here:

Leave to rest in a dark place for a month (not more or it becomes bitter). Then strain. I simply fill back the Port wine bottles and discard the plastic bottle with the leaves.

Serve chilled as an apéritif.

There is a similar drink made with peach tree leaves. You may want to use a lighter wine, then and only leave the leafs for a week.

Asher Kelman

Beyond fabulous. I will try it. Because of Nicolas and your beautiful French name, I thought of my answer to you in French!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Black cod, a soft Smokey flavor fish, Brussels Sprouts with oil, salt and pepper and naturally “butter-flavored”, “Golden Yukon potatoes touched with tahini!

42AF70CB-08EF-4561-BD5F-C6C7EB81E0E8.jpeg

Asher Kelman: “Yukon Heaven“
Fish with soft flakes that melt flavor to the mouth, crunch crisp roasted Brussel sprouts and roasted Golden Yukon that causes one to pause to have food longer as the flavor is unbelievably delicious.

Asher