• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Provocative image follows.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
F9D7DF89-B167-4FA3-B8A1-0BCA75D0D489.jpeg

Not as provocative as you’d hoped?
Or more so?

Do all images provoke?

Should all images provoke?

In what way do they or should they provoke?

If an image provokes in a ‘positive’ way, is it more worthy or better than that which provokes in a ‘negative’ way?

If provocation is successful, who decides is to view the image?

Share your provokes thoughts with regard to this image if you wish, as support for your thoughts on these matters.

Cheers

Tom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

I find your picture fresh and interesting for the reasons Rachel stayed.

I shun as many “should”s and “shouldn’t”s as possible!

I don’t see any need for images to “provoke”, unless, (as an artist, curator, politician or whatever), that’s what you want or feel you need!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I like this image a lot! It brings up a feeling of loneliness and confusion. Nice!

Hello Rachel Ann. I hadn’t notice you entering the forum.

Thank you for sharing your feelings. It’s OK if you don’t ‘like’ my image. Lots of people don’t.
I’m more interested in what ANY IMAGE might provoke in the mind of the observer.

There’s at least four different perspectives to examine in any photography:

• the provocation in the mind of the photographer that instigated the taking of the photograph
  • the provocation that the photographer might wish to encourage or demand of the viewer
  • the provocation the viewer responds to when viewing the photograph
  • the final response of the viewer; ie, transforming the thoughts into words or actions.

My taking and using PROVOKE is in the context of ANY THOUGHT TO EXPRESS ANY FEELING instigated may the image at any time during its formulation, production and viewing.

Here, you have indicated feelings of loneliness and confusion. These appear to be somewhat negative feelings yet you also indicate you LIKE the image.

That, in itself, speaks highly of your approach to other people’s photographs.

Welcome to the forum.

Tom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

For sure you can use “provoke” in this way. Seems correct but perhaps a little simplified. I think you have strong-armed art to a more robust and defined phenomenon than it is.

Art doesn’t need to stir up feelings or thoughts. It can merely be a distraction, soothing or not and a basis for opting out and relaxing like the sounds of humming or the color purple.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
[Rhetorical personal comment, here, (..........), censored per TOS to allow this post. A.K.]
I was trying to keep it simple.

I hardly think my use of any word would strong arm anything, Ash.

I wasn’t referring to art as such. Any image.

I wasn’t defining anything. I was asking some questions so I could consider the opinions of others in the light of my own.

What the f... is art for if it doesn’t stir up thoughts and feelings? Should I be wrapping my scraps in it? Even a blank wall in a gallery will cause some consternation, especially if it’s signed.

(*), * Deleted per TOS

Tom,

For sure you can use “provoke” in this way. Seems correct but perhaps a little simplified. I think you have strong-armed art to a more robust and defined phenomenon than it is.

Art doesn’t need to stir up feelings or thoughts. It can merely be a distraction, soothing or not and a basis for opting out and relaxing like the sounds of humming or the color purple.

Asher