• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Remote places

Jim Galli

Many consider where I have chosen as home to be remote. Tonopah, Nevada. But I travel each fall into the outback that almost no one ever see's to fetch home firewood for the winters at 6000 elevation.

The fire killed the trees and the wood is perfectly seasoned for easy harvesting. I go alone. You can hear the silence here. Until I break it with my saws.

This unusual format is Eastman 7X11 inch film. Equipment approaching 100 years old. Photographer approaching . . . . well, never mind.

Working well Asher! This is 72 miles east and north of Tonopah, Nevada. Elevation here about 6900 + -

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Many consider where I have chosen as home to be remote. Tonopah, Nevada. But I travel each fall into the outback that almost no one ever see's to fetch home firewood for the winters at 6000 elevation.

The fire killed the trees and the wood is perfectly seasoned for easy harvesting. I go alone. You can hear the silence here. Until I break it with my saws.

This unusual format is Eastman 7X11 inch film. Equipment approaching 100 years old. Photographer approaching . . . . well, never mind.
Working well Asher! This is 72 miles east and north of Tonopah, Nevada. Elevation here about 6900 + -

Jim,

This is very enjoyable to me and the Long format works well, except a Cirkuit camera might have got more?

This looks like a great place to take pictures. The trees, (albeit dead), make a good subject and seem like clones of Aspen that have been there for a million years!

Is the bark stripped and that’s what makes a lot of the tree appear very light?

What about wild life? Do insects invade dead trees and therefore bring woodpeckers, or the elevation is too high?

What lens did you use and what camera?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Do you have a Lee filter system for the clouds and do you have any penchant for fussing with that or you just grab that show once you’ve harvested the wood!

BTW, does your cell phone work up there? What happens if that ticker gives trouble or your car breaks down?

Asher

Jim Galli

Asher, the algorithm that made them bigger made them soft, which they aren't. Lenses were an ancient Turner Reich triple convertible and a Wollensak Ultra Wide angle of the same era. Both at least a hundred years old, but anastigmats.

No cell phone coverage but I always take it. On the trip home I get service in a certain spot and always let my dear wife know I'm fine. I give my brother longitude and latitude so that if search and rescue needed to come looking they would be able to drive right to me. 38° 32' 23.59"N 116° 38' 22.77"W If I bleed out, it was my time. My wife worries, but it's payback for the 35,000 miles a year she drives on the highways to be with her babies. Far more dangerous than cutting wood alone.

No filters, I don't consider this art. Just enjoyment. Camera is Eastman Improved #2 7X11 (in your for sale section for a while, but sold now). Not to worry, I have another.

Asher Kelman

Jim,

Won’t short-wave radio work. They are cheap!

As to the setup, is the camera for glass plate or does it have a spring-back and nice double sided film holders?

Is there a curve in the film or is it really kept flat just by being only 7” high?

Also given you have rolls of the film, isn’t there a wider camera to take advantage of this?

Asher

Jim Galli

Never had a film flatness issue. It's ordinary 11X14 film cut in half.

Sure, I could buy a satellite phone too I suppose. Somehow it didn't matter to some guy in 1930 and I'm not sure why it should matter to me now.

As to wider cameras, we've got 'em. I have a banquet camera that has both 8X20 and 9.5X20 film backs for it. And of course the Cirkut cameras can keep going for 360 degrees, so you run out of scene before you run out of wide.

If I was going to load a Cirkut picture, 8.5 X 44 inches, how would I size that for your site here? When does the picture gizmo say, sorry, no more pixels wide please?

Asher Kelman

Never had a film flatness issue. It's ordinary 11X14 film cut in half.

Sure, I could buy a satellite phone too I suppose. Somehow it didn't matter to some guy in 1930 and I'm not sure why it should matter to me now.

As to wider cameras, we've got 'em. I have a banquet camera that has both 8X20 and 9.5X20 film backs for it. And of course the Cirkut cameras can keep going for 360 degrees, so you run out of scene before you run out of wide.

If I was going to load a Cirkut picture, 8.5 X 44 inches, how would I size that for your site here? When does the picture gizmo say, sorry, no more pixels wide please?

Oh, I thought you were rolling out film from a giant spool. I was so impressed by that!

The Cirkut Strip can be put into a pano software. One would scan say 10 50 degree reviews. So one would divide into 36 degree segments but then scan and extra say 7 degrees either side of each section. (That would be 4.4” per segment), so, to the software it would be overlapping shots. The software would create a 3D virtual sphere, (you would need to have a shot of the sky and ground at the tripod location).

Then you could post this and it would be viewed as an interactive 3D world.

It’s standard and Kolor.com, purchased by GoPro cameras) has the software!

You have an Epson scanner and that’s all you need. With the very inexpensive, scanning Vuescan software by Hamrick
you can deal with any film, negative or positive.

Meanwhile I will see how we can show such virtual walk-though projections!

Asher