• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Secluded Beach

Robert Watcher

A few pics from one location along a river bank, with my camera pointed to the west, were a few stragglers wandered back and forth on a sand causeway where the river flows into Lake Huron. I used two lenses with zoom ranges 22mm (35mm equivalent) to 600mm (35mm equivalent)

AF0289CA-1EEC-4B9A-A783-4516AC6365DF.jpeg

C68BEAD4-B122-4B68-9089-BFC7D64E6911.jpeg

DA8C3512-9E04-4E1B-821C-7C9666060604.jpeg

8D64AA36-E899-4277-A07F-523398B6C956.jpeg

E99303C9-C433-4AE2-9A4F-2BA334FB6F09.jpeg

B821BE92-30B3-439D-9182-F5EF1237DD5E.jpeg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You have never shown us such silhouettes of trees before. Interesting and dramatic.

I am currently looking for backgrounds to project in my studio while I project leaves or branches on a model!

if you have old Kodachrome like this it would be great!

Asher

Very nice, Rob!

I spent summers growing up along the shore of Lake Huron just south of Port Sanilac. Can you say where this sand causeway was located?

Tom

Robert Watcher

Fun photos Rob! The first one looks like they are dancing. Anyone you know?

nope. i was shooting from a long distance away with a 600mm lens. He was throwing stones - skipping them off the water of the lake. In fact the stone he is throwing is visible to the right of him lol

Robert Watcher

Actually this pic that Anne took with her phone from the car, gives a little better perspective of where I was shooting from and the distance to the lake where the people were.

2B0577B9-DDDF-46CF-902A-383B9C0AFD61.jpeg

Asher Kelman

Robert, you have shown us a nice set of images both in colour and black and white, though I prefer the former.
Cheers ! :)
But in this case, Antonio, how could color add anything?

D2985B4B-2AB8-446C-A9E6-221B87480203.jpeg

Surely, at the printing stage, with care of the full range of shading or else as a silhouette, this would be superb!

Would you really want to add color for this image, or you happen to like better the earlier color images?

Asher Kelman

While the color is, in this one image, indeed enjoyable, and I do admit that, from an artistic point of view, the added color takes away from the simple, stark textural value of a well composed scene. When the monochrome is already exceptional let it be!

Here, color definitely adds “prettiness“ I admit. Indeed, this maneuver can be a shortcut to eruptive emotions. So yes, for sure, Antonio, for wowing friends about one’s romantic vacation, nothing beats a color-soaked postcard!

but just because we can switch on the colored lights, doesn’t mean it enhances the image esthetics! In fact, to me there’s a paradox: a durable monochrome risks being converted to a fast-food eye-candy “fix”!

Don’t we want, instead, our Art to withstand the test of time and the ravages of taste and quirks of fashion cycles.

The monochrome is already timeless art. It’s more cerebral and will outlast the fiery “Pizazz” of the merely sentimental color!

Just my opinion, just for this unique monochrome image! So take it as a point of view. I didn’t receive this wisdom from Mount Sinai!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Yes Asher, I like better the coloured images :)
Well Antonio, you are right there.

I cannot say monochrome IS the superior esthetic. It isn’t, except when shown only as monochrome.

Rather I am wary of color replacing B&W totally. That would be a great loss to see monochrome out of fashion.

So WHEN, a photographer presents without color, I defend that artists choice like a lion it’s cubs

Here Robert is actually happy either way, so I was shown to be in error and apologize for that!

Obviously, on reflection, I too strongly pushed what is essentially merely a kind of “religious” belief of the sanctity of B&W!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher for clarifying that point
Colour is harder to master than black and white but some images look better than others when presented in one of the situations, depending on what the author wants or likes to show.
A couple of years ago I liked black and white a lot and still do but colour attracts me these days...
Cheers ! :)