• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Second Shot

Chris Calohan

Got my second shot this morning at 9:30 am CST (Moderna). So far, a bit of fatigue, a touch of nausea and my arm hurts like the dickens. Pretty much the same as the first shot...but the day /night is young so I'll let you know in the AM how I feel.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Got my second shot this morning at 9:30 am CST (Moderna). So far, a bit of fatigue, a touch of nausea and my arm hurts like the dickens. Pretty much the same as the first shot...but the day /night is young so I'll let you know in the AM how I feel.
Chris,

That’s simply great news! A lot of folk can’t get even the first shot. Now your chance of being in hospital is less than 1%!

Sorry you had a reaction. I had zero effects. I felt, like, did I actually get a shot!

My wife was complaining for several days!

Asher

James Lemon

The main concern about the COVID-19 vaccines has been among people with a severe allergic reaction to polyethylene glycol (PEG) or polysorbate, said Dr. Schmader. These ingredients are similar but not identical to components in the currently approved COVID-19 vaccines. The CDC recommends that people with this allergy not get the vaccine.

Similarly, the CDC recommends that people not receive the second dose if they had a severe allergic reaction following the first dose. The incidence of this occurring is low, said Dr. Schmader, about one in six per million doses. “If someone had an anaphylactic reaction, they should not get the second dose,” he said.

https://www.dukehealth.org/blog/weigh-benefits-of-covid-19-vaccine-against-risk-infection

Chris Calohan

Chris,

That’s simply great news! A lot of folk can’t get even the first shot. Now your chance of being in hospital is less than 1%!

Sorry you had a reaction. I had zero effects. I felt, like, did I actually get a shot!

My wife was complaining for several days!

Asher
Today is just a repeat of yesterday as per the sore arm, which still hurts like the dickens...but it hurt going in so I suspect she went in horizontally and not at a slightly downward angle which punts the needle into the grain and not across the grain of the muscle. Like cutting a fine piece of meat against the grain...you could have bought hamburger. :)

Asher Kelman

Today is just a repeat of yesterday as per the sore arm, which still hurts like the dickens...but it hurt going in so I suspect she went in horizontally and not at a slightly downward angle which punts the needle into the grain and not across the grain of the muscle. Like cutting a fine piece of meat against the grain...you could have bought hamburger. :)
I have never seen this point discussed in medical literature but you have an interesting consideration and hypothesis there!

But it’s more complicated to explain systemic reactions such as headache, fatigue, which my come from the coveted manufacturers pet additives like metals and polymers added to magically stabilize the shot.

Believe it or not, they have even used breadcrumbs as adjuvant, LOL!

Asher

Chris Calohan

Cannot fathom the need for additives in a vaccine that requires refrigeration but I suppose there might be something to keep any little parts fluid throughout the vial...not that a little shake wouldn't do the same thing.

Asher Kelman

Cannot fathom the need for additives in a vaccine that requires refrigeration but I suppose there might be something to keep any little parts fluid throughout the vial...not that a little shake wouldn't do the same thing.
It just so happens that early vaccines were hard to be made effective enough for a large population. One person can be immunized, over time, with any crude or purified germ coat extract, such as a Unique proteins or polysaccharides of the microbe.

But, sadly, each individual shot can merely yield a tepid response. So it needs to be repeated until there are neutralizing antibodies. This approach could work for a thousand soldiers on a planned military expedition in an area of risk, but is not good enough for mass vaccinations.

Some of the additives are surprisingly cheap and simple and there only to “stabilize” the ultra-low concentration of the foreign antigen.

But “adjuvants”, that actually serve to BOOST immune response, can even require killing sharks for their livers to get a unique compound which has strong adjuvent properties turning a poorly antigenic suspension into a super-effective vaccine!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Chris,

I had my second shot this morning of the Covid-19 Moderna vaccine this morning, and it was asymptomatic, except that the lovely young eyes of the 29 year old nurse did make my heart litter a beat or two!

Now fatigue, nausea or anything like that in past ~5 hours since the shot!

Asher

Asher Kelman

If you were going to have any response, it would have been within the first 24 hours...no sore arm?
Nothing at all! I am hoping to get two more shots once there is enough for others.

With the slow rate of world vaccination, expect a need for at least one update a year as we are in for a good number of new variants and occasional one tgat has a new property that makes it more worrysome.

However, the mRNA technology of Pfizer and Moderna so editable, that update vaccines seems to be simple.

So these updates will be routine as it will be years before the world is vaccinated!

Asher

Alex Johnson

It's great that someone has already been fully vaccinated. I’m still waiting for my turn, but I’ve already had COVID, I’m probably not even getting infected yet. Although I do not know, I also heard about cases of re-infection.

Asher Kelman

It's great that someone has already been fully vaccinated. I’m still waiting for my turn, but I’ve already had COVID, I’m probably not even getting infected yet. Although I do not know, I also heard about cases of re-infection.
You only likely need one shot now. Get Moderna if you can as it is effective for the variants.

Best thing is that when you get your second dose, you will get such a great increased amount of antibodies that you are likely protected from serious illness with even newer variants!

Good luck,

Asher