• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Serious fun with any smartphone! Post your favorites!

Mark Hampton

Some self portraits on break.

My thought bubble and I
7739628538_ac9a17572b.jpg

7739627652_b84ea302d1.jpg

Jake I saw these on your flicker before you posted them - they work for me !

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The humble iPhone type device, unlike many cameras, is always in one's pocket. So really it's a most efficient tool for snapshots, either as the finished item, or else as a digital notebook so that one can scout opportunities to return to. I am trying both ways!

I have noticed the increased placement of art in public buildings as a result of the State laws on putting aside 1% of the building cost for public art. Here the artist uses sweeping transparent fabrics, mimicking jellyfish, to liven up the busy thoroughfare.

IMG_0135_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: San Francisco Airport Passenger Terminal #1

iphone 3G

This is a panorama made of about 10 overlapping images. I'd guess one would need a 10 mm rectilinear lens to match this view.

IMG_0205.jpg

Asher Kelman: San Francisco Airport Passenger Terminal #2

iphone 3G

Looking down from a balcony, I caught a view of this gigantic sculpture designed for the massive space of a passenger transit area. Maybe it's arrivals. Next time I'll check. Here the components hang as in the previous one, but they are separate overlapping white metal or plastic elements, that together build a flowing but now much more textured shape. Once again this is a rapid set of overlapping snapshots with my wife impatiently wondering if I'll ever really use the pictures! :)

Finally, below, a quick set of shots capturing the separation of people by the impersonal conveyor walkway to move humans. Many prefer to use their own feet, like photographers insisting on going manual. We need to protest our dependance on machines!

IMG_0136_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: San Francisco Airport Passenger Terminal #3

iphone 3G

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Should I stay or should I go?*

The title illustrates what this dog did when he saw me some 15 meters (roughly 45 feet) above with my iPhone 4.
Yes! when I'm on vacation I rarely bring my regular photo gear : ) The iPhone is fair enough to make some snaps to reset memories when/if needed…
So this dog was lying on the concrete pavement, certainly waiting for some cool air, and decided to move. Not far though! Temp was about 40° Celsius (some 104° Fahrenheit) in Greece last week…

iPhone 4 and its digital zoom (no particular PP except little denoise and reduced size):

IMG_1826_1000.jpg

IMG_1830_1000px.jpg

IMG_1831_1000.jpg

* A The Clash song, in Combat rock Album

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

The title illustrates what this dog did when he saw me some 15 meters (roughly 45 feet) above with my iPhone 4.
Yes! when I'm on vacation I rarely bring my regular photo gear : ) The iPhone is far enough to make some snaps to reset memories when/if needed…
So this dog was lying on the concrete pavement, certainly waiting for some cool air, and decided to move. Not far though! Temp was about 40° Celsius (some 104° Fahrenheit) in Greece last week…

iPhone 4 and its digital zoom (no particular PP except little denoise and reduced size):

IMG_1826_1000.jpg

IMG_1830_1000px.jpg

IMG_1831_1000.jpg

* A The Clash song, in Combat rock Album

Nicolas,

Wait till you get the 40MP Nokia devised to get around needing an optical zoom, LOL! This set of pictures impresses me that we will see a major change in digicams driven from such sensors. Signal to noise might be limiting in the shadows, but these images are simply amazing.

Looking at your engaging images I realize that an artist can do magic with any camera, but these little gadgets make even that easy to the one with a quick eye!

The last two with the dash of pink would be great for giant blow-up on canvas! These would be impressive in any fine gallery!

Asher

Mark Hampton

Nicolas,

Wait till you get the 40MP Nokia devised to get around needing an optical zoom, LOL! This set of pictures impresses me that we will see a major change in digicams driven from such sensors. Signal to noise might be limiting in the shadows, but these images are simply amazing.

Looking at your engaging images I realize that an artist can do magic with any camera, but these little gadgets make even that easy to the one with a quick eye!

The last two with the dash of pink would be great for giant blow-up on canvas! These would be impressive in any fine gallery!

Asher

I saw these last night - the second one infected my dreams - it really is one of the most beautiful dog works - shows to me that craft is the mind - not the process.

nicolas claris

Thank you Asher and Mark,
I agree with you both, gear - even my Pentax 645D - doesn't makes the image.
One has to use the "tool" with its ease and defaults. I know that in the same situation, I wouldn't have shot the dog the same way with the Pentax, it would have been a completely different image that the one here. Better? We''ll never know!
Back to Asher's comment, I'm sure that, in this case, the digital zoom with noise and blurr adds a lot to the motion/emotion.
I agree that the 1st one has less interest, I posted it for the sake of the story (see title).
Yes, small cameras can be fun!

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher and Mark,
I agree with you both, gear - even my Pentax 645D - doesn't makes the image.
One has to use the "tool" with its ease and defaults. I know that in the same situation, I wouldn't have shot the dog the same way with the Pentax, it would have been a completely different image that the one here. Better? We''ll never know!
Back to Asher's comment, I'm sure that, in this case, the digital zoom with noise and blurr adds a lot to the motion/emotion.
I agree that the 1st one has less interest, I posted it for the sake of the story (see title).
Yes, small cameras can be fun!

Nicolas,

Could you explain how one gets a picture like the last two. Is it the combination of slow shutter speed and digital zoom or did you also up res it? It's so impressive like Matisse or Monet painted it!

Asher

nicolas claris

Nicolas,

Could you explain how one gets a picture like the last two. Is it the combination of slow shutter speed and digital zoom or did you also up res it? It's so impressive like Matisse or Monet painted it!

Asher

No up res, no crop. As is. So yes for the combination of low light/slow shutter speed with digital zoom.
Matisse and Manet? You push my limits way too far! lol!
HTML:

Asher Kelman

No up res, no crop. As is. So yes for the combination of low light/slow shutter speed with digital zoom.
Matisse and Manet? You push my limits way too far! lol!

Well Nicholas,

You're a hard act to follow. No animals. Just a grabshot at sunset in balmy Southern California.

IMG_0489_3_Los Angeles Sunset.jpg

Asher Kelman: Evening

iphone 3G

Asher

Asher Kelman

Imagine an Episcopal Cathedral packed with family and friends of an Armenian Orthodox woman and a Jewish man, with priest and rabbi officiating as brothers. No word of any actual utterance of any names of prophets or savior, but they were there with a true joining of sprit.

IMG_0501_2_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Beginning a Journey

iphone 3G

I wish them an overflowing cup of joy! :)

Asher

nicolas claris

Well Nicholas,

You're a hard act to follow. No animals. Just a grabshot at sunset in balmy Southern California.

IMG_0489_3_Los Angeles Sunset.jpg

Asher Kelman: Evening

iphone 3G

Asher
"You're a hard act to follow"
Sorry, I don't understand the exact meaning...

As for the sunset, you have just been cheated by the bad dynamic range of the iPhone 3!
In this case, on my iPhone 4, I would have used the HDR fubction...

Asher Kelman

"You're a hard act to follow"
Sorry, I don't understand the exact meaning...

Just imagine watching a show and then Asher has to come on the stage and sing after Madonna finishes her act! That's what I mean, you are a hard act to follow!

As for the sunset, you have just been cheated by the bad dynamic range of the iPhone 3!
In this case, on my iPhone 4, I would have used the HDR fubction...
How does that work, Nicolas? Does it take a rapid series of pictures? But then one would still need to keep it very still!

Asher

nicolas claris

Just imagine watching a show and then Asher has to come on the stage and sing after Madonna finishes her act! That's what I mean, you are a hard act to follow!

How does that work, Nicolas? Does it take a rapid series of pictures? But then one would still need to keep it very still!

Asher

Hmmm, I'm not sure I like to be compared to Madonna! LoL! but anyway you're too kind with me!

Re iPhone HDR, I have no real idea on how it works…
I don't think it takes more than one pic at a time, I think it takes one (under over exposed) and store the infos on an underexpose version, then some algorithm may do its job (more less good !) and store the initial shot + the HDR one

Here is a sample…
This time, the iPhone has been fooled and originally underexposed the image so the foreground is totally black.
1st image is untouched
2nd image is the HDR version.
I've done no pp except downsize for the forum…

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2081.jpg

nicolas claris

Just imagine watching a show and then Asher has to come on the stage and sing after Madonna finishes her act!

If you do that, I'll stop immediately all my work and all the rest, and will fly directly to the stage to hear you and why not shoot some pics ! LoL I would love it!

Asher Kelman

Here is a sample…
This time, the iPhone has been fooled and originally underexposed the image so the foreground is totally black.
1st image is untouched
2nd image is the HDR version.
I've done no pp except downsize for the forum…

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2081.jpg

Nicolas,

Can you post process the HDR to develop the beautiful sky seen in the first version?

For sure one could pain in that exposure.

There are probably apps that allow better control of the exposures and even do the bracketing. I just am a newbie to the cell phone, a present from my dear wife when she upgraded to 4G, LOL! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks! That's impressive. I wonder if they have the HDR capability on the new Nokia. The new 5G iPhone will be out soon and I wonder what that will bring us? These are fun times!

Asher

nicolas claris

Thanks! That's impressive. I wonder if they have the HDR capability on the new Nokia. The new 5G iPhone will be out soon and I wonder what that will bring us? These are fun times!

Asher

For sure, but wait to see the price! It should be close to a pretty good amateur camera…
The price of an iPhone, if you buy each new model is superior to a good monthly DSL connection for the same period!

back of the class jake :)

although another good set of work takes you back to the front

Jake
You do bring us in another, fantastic, world; really amazing and unusual. Congrats!

Wow, thanks guys.

I am actually quite happy that I have stepped away from the DSLR for a bit. Not really by choice(been working 6 days a week, 12 hours a day), but it has helped me forget about all the technicalities of photography and focus strictly on trying to capture what I see as my phone only has two setting I use(HDR or ISO 100). I've been working on trying to keep photos balanced and waiting for nice light to hit the earth. I believe it has also helped with my cropping. I already, have always, liked square crops but instagram pretty much forces it so it helps with that also.

But I really cannot wait to have some radio triggers and a few more light modifiers because now I have allot of locations that I have already mapped out to try portraits and landscape work in the future. I have thought of all these as rough drafts for work to come!

Wow, thanks guys.

I am actually quite happy that I have stepped away from the DSLR for a bit. Not really by choice(been working 6 days a week, 12 hours a day), but it has helped me forget about all the technicalities of photography and focus strictly on trying to capture what I see as my phone only has two setting I use(HDR or ISO 100). I've been working on trying to keep photos balanced and waiting for nice light to hit the earth. I believe it has also helped with my cropping. I already, have always, liked square crops but instagram pretty much forces it so it helps with that also.

But I really cannot wait to have some radio triggers and a few more light modifiers because now I have allot of locations that I have already mapped out to try portraits and landscape work in the future. I have thought of all these as rough drafts for work to come!

Jake, I'm loving those shots of yours. Hard to believe they were taken with a cell!

Jake, I'm loving those shots of yours. Hard to believe they were taken with a cell!

Thanks. As far as cell phones go the HTC One S has one of the best right now along side the Iphone 4s. Loving the F2 aperture on it.

This guy must have ate at the same place as me in china town out in San Francisco!
7927091180_ae40464441.jpg