• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge for Pictures in a Series: Motif or Concept Share your Favorite Shots: Architectural & Cultural Gems Around The World

Hello, respectful members of the forum, I have been away for a while, my work and studies have been taking me my full time.

I come today with an architectural gem which has been a surprise for me since I started to read a beautiful and inspiring book called Teaching and Thinking by Ignacio Vicens, the actual architect of the building. I did not know it was his de él, I came across the building without noticing it was the cover of the book!

Now that I am aware of this unexpected true, I can share my experience and feelings about it.

The Building is located in Collado Villalba, Madrid, Spain. its name is "Parroquia Santisima Trinidad", its actually a church, I am not a true believer in this movement called "Catholicism, but I am a passionate lover of buildings and shapes, and this one got my attention for sure.

PSX_20210212_123650.jpg
17.jpg
21_NO.jpg
nave.jpg

The style of the architect has evolved from a traditional modernist clean approach to a more controversial contemporary, even brutalist style, using the hardness and aesthetic of the concrete to create a massive shape with some very delicate voids, opening the form slightly to the inside. Oh what can I say about the inside, not only the interior ceiling-high creates a feeling of elevation (as many traditional churches do) the use of light is brilliant, the ceiling is cut in a way that you are entirely covered with sunlight, almost none artificial light is needed it. The feeling of state "Zen" and in a way if I am allowed to say the liberation of the soul is present.

Hope you can enjoy it as much as I did.

Best,

Ignacio

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Ignacio “Oscar” Molina !
Great shots and comments :)
I know that @Antonio Correia has also achieved brilliant shots of churches, now my turn to show you one designed by one of my favorite architects Tadao Ando
When I came 4 years ago in Japan I wanted to visit his "Church of the Light" in Ibaraki – Osaka, I had seen it in some architectural books but I found the photos quite poor…
When we got there I requested the right to photograph and they allowed me for exactly 5 minutes while they did close the gates so I could be alone in the Church…

Eglise_NCK7767.jpg

Eglise_NCK7788.jpg

Eglise_NCK7794.jpg

Eglise_NCK7817.jpg

Eglise_NCK7819.jpg

More images
PS I'm atheist! But as Ignacio I'm impressed by the architecture designed by and for the believers…

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ignacio and Nicolas,

Fabulous and spiritually uplifting Both of you!

The concrete is so stark and effective.

Who would imagine such Sense of divine in cold concrete. But it is so clean and defined, like the terms “right” and “wrong”, “good” and “evil”.

Very unlike complex detailed adorned statue-filled relic-saving Catholic Churches that, (with great mansions), consumed all the major old Forrest’s of Europe for their grand timber.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Very unlike complex detailed adorned statue-filled relic-saving Catholic Churches that, (with great mansions), consumed all the major old Forrest’s of Europe for their grand timber.

Asher
Exactly as for the rebuilt of the Paris Cathedral, they decided to rebuilt with the same original technique that need 1000, yes one thousand!, oak trees all older than 100 years.
Quit insane IYAM.

Asher Kelman

Exactly as for the rebuilt of the Paris Cathedral, they decided to rebuilt with the same original technique that need 1000, yes one thousand!, oak trees all older than 100 years.
Quit insane IYAM.
One of the major realized resources of “The New World” was the wholesale harvesting of ancient North American virgin forrest that stunned newcomers as such riches were now extinct throughout Europe.

Notre Dame shouldn’t be using any ancient oaks! It’s unthinkable for a tourist attraction and a delusion by prelates living in the 9th Century.

if they made it a mosque, at least the faithful would pack it in prayer! In the USA, it could work nicely with giant confederate banners for Trump rallies!

Asher

Hi Ignacio “Oscar” Molina !
Great shots and comments :)
I know that @Antonio Correia has also achieved brilliant shots of churches, now my turn to show you one designed by one of my favorite architects Tadao Ando
When I came 4 years ago in Japan I wanted to visit his "Church of the Light" in Ibaraki – Osaka, I had seen it in some architectural books but I found the photos quite poor…
When we got there I requested the right to photograph and they allowed me for exactly 5 minutes while they did close the gates so I could be alone in the Church…

More images
PS I'm atheist! But as Ignacio I'm impressed by the architecture designed by and for the believers…

Hello Nicolas, thank you for your post and reply, its really a pleasure to see these beautiful architectural pieces, I can't stop to be wondered and fascinated by them, I feel like a little child receiving a new present each time! :)

I have been a fan of Tadao Ado`s work since I saw his projects in a magazine when I was studying architecture in the sweep tropical weather of Latin America (Merida, Venezuela), what great memories! It was a blessing and inspiration for me to see it, the spirituality, the starkness, and the cleaning of its shapes is more than visible, Tadao is a true master of making something simple but memorable, it is just outstanding!

Best,

Ignacio

Here I share with you the Botin Center building that I recently visited, it is located in the North of Spain, in a place called Santander, its a building of the great architect Renzo Piano, who also made the Pompidou Center in Paris.

His high-tech style fuse with contemporary finishings like scales of a fish as an analogy, the building an impressive structure floating in the air, the building is sectioned in two pieces to the right an art museum, and to left a theater. I was really impressed with the quality of the details and the audacity of the design.

About the view I can only say that is a gift from nature, it was a rainy cold day, the nostalgia of the moment full of feelings and sensations were surreal, the ocean and its limitless property, make you feel that are too little compere to it all.

Ps: I couldn't take any pictures from the inside, it wasn't allowed.

Hope you like it as much as I did.

Best,

Ignacio

IMG_20210212_102840-01.jpeg
IMG_20210211_184611-01-01.jpeg
IMG_20210211_184736-02.jpeg
IMG_20210211_184946-01.jpeg

Wow, you guys, fabulous images. I guess you travel a lot. I live in a small town, so nothing to share from here. I may have something from somewhere else, I'll have to look!

Antonio Correia

You have been inside, haven't you Maggie ?
When I see these castles, I always think of hot cold it would be lo live inside ! :unsure:

Antonio Correia

Outside view and inside from the narrow window on the right of the left building. The head doesn't go through. Just the arm and the camera.
The complex is called "Mother of the water" and it was built in the XV or XVI century I ma not sure (I will have to ask). The water is running again after a period of drought.
Both shots with a simple Sony RX100 III
i-rr9XtH5-X4.jpg

i-GBJVXrn-X4.jpg

Hello Guys, I haven't posted anything for a long time, but I just had a quick trip to Switzerland, I and couldn't resist sharing some of the most beautiful moments and places that I have ever seen, an incredible experience full of outstanding natural landscapes, architecture, and love! Hope you like it.

c3.jpg
c2.jpg
c1.jpg
c4.jpg
c5.jpg

Antonio Correia

Inacio... what a set of beautiful images !...
The pano is magnific !
Very good work ! Well done.

I suddenly want to eat chocolate ! :)

Asher Kelman

Boost!

Churches always have had inspiring architecture!

This modern church reaches and exceeds the pedigree for awesomeness!

Instead of following the hallowed tradition of grand columns and vaulted ceilings, this design boils down the elements to stark essential wrapping tgr creed itself!

Remarkable and splendid result!

Asher

2DC20865-C6A5-4DD4-98B9-5ACBF5F6B1BC.jpeg

127F61AD-2F88-438A-BFBF-92B325612ED2.jpeg

Asher Kelman

I think this is as at the limits awesome as can be a symbolic expression of an idea!

…. that, over the millennia, yielded love, hate, cohesion and spreading colonial arrogance in the name of righteousness!

The grandeur of St Paul’s Cathedral, the brilliance of the Sistine Chapel nor the blessings of Notre Dame don’t begin to compete in the power of this simple expression of a complex bond that ties and binds so many in Christendom!

The nearest item so simple is an atom of hydrogen. In that minute universe, one negative string perpetually cycles in arcs around a positive knot of energy. How awesome is that!

But like the Church above, it’s mostly empty and it’s materiality is a delusion that we perceive as “reality” without which life couldn’t exist!

Asher