• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sharpening workflow question

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem
anyway it is still too much, I agree with Bart on his comment, these settings were not good as the purpose is to keep and increase data amount to sharpen hence the reason why this is the first part of the script…

I did make an r2 version of the last ones (which replaces the previous on the server)

I took this opportunity to simplify the allaction by suppressing one script and correcting values of the preceeding…

CORRECTED files can be found:
tar file
zip file
Terribly sorry Nicolas, but I think that there might be a small error in the "sharpness lightness action 2" script. It starts out to "duplicate the background" but fails to do so if there is none. It should have been "duplicate current layer" if I'm not mistaken?

Regards,

Michael Fontana

pro member
Collected responses as well...

Barts: "File>Automate>Fit image' automatically handles portrait and landscape orientation),"
it can be done too, by using percentages in the "normal" imagesize-dialog, by using & instead of pixels...

Barts: "Probably a minor second/third language thing, but you probably intended to say it restricts it to the mid-tones. "
You're right, restricting is correct!
As for the language, its' actually five, so sometimes I jump in the wrong cupboard... ;-)

Barts: "I think Micheal meant, the suggestion to incorporate it all in one action, is an Xmas gift. If needed I can offer a generic version for download, but some customization may still be needed for different camera file sizes and output devices."

Yep, that all in one what is already running here, customised, for my cam's size and setting, and for the big panos as well, you bet!

A question to Bart and offcourse anybody else: Do you mind having a look at that "downrez from PhotoAcute-action? It's here
and used to automatate best the downrez of the 380 MB tiffs, beeing generated out of PhotoAcute's big DNGs (with 2 x size, aka superresolution)

BTW: Usually, I don't like the colors of LR to much, but with these DNGs from Photoacute, it works just fine. Any comments on that?

I' ve been adding a very slight tonemapping in 16 bit with the Photomatixplugin for PS, which is a bit different than "Shadow-Highlight" in PS, used by Nicolas.

Bart, could you comment on the differencies, too?

Could be used as a variation of Nicolas action, as it tonemapps the mid-tones, rather than opening up the shadows.

Finally the hint how to run PSactions direcly out of LR:

just creat a droplet out of a action (in PS: File/ Automatisation/Make droplet) and put the droplet in

user/Library/ApplicationSupport/Adobe/Lightroom/Export Actions

Now choose it within the LRs- export-dialog, by telling LR to open the exportet image in PS.

Unfortunatly, if you want to have a auto-save - which is great and working here flawless - the droplet has to be written for each (computer) volume separatly, due to path related issues: so its not possible to provide a droplet.

But once you' ve build it, its a real timesaver.

So we could provide a combined action, plus a °manual° for its customazation.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Terribly sorry Nicolas, but I think that there might be a small error in the "sharpness lightness action 2" script. It starts out to "duplicate the background" but fails to do so if there is none. It should have been "duplicate current layer" if I'm not mistaken?

Regards,
I'm terribly sorry Cem but you're terribly right!

CORRECTED r2b version of the last ones (which replaces the previous on the server) files can be found:
tar file
zip file

nicolas claris

Bonsoir Bart and Michael

My firts aim with this action is to provide a simple one button that may help to get better looking files easy and for free.

I do completely understand and applaud your will to contribute and your unvalluable experience. True.

However I'm a bit reluctant to have the action depending of paying add-ons like FocusMagic or others. I do understand that these may bring improvement but then we still should propose a real "free" action… That would be the xmas real gift!

Michael, your hint is brilliant and should help a lot LR users, in case they would have missed it, hereunder it is, in bold (of course it may work with any other actions)
The hint how to run PSactions direcly out of LR:
just creat a droplet out of a action (in PS: File/ Automatisation/Make droplet) and put the droplet in:

Now choose it within the LRs- export-dialog, by telling LR to open the exportet image in PS.

Unfortunatly, if you want to have a auto-save - which is great and working here flawless - the droplet has to be written for each (computer) volume separatly, due to path related issues: so its not possible to provide a droplet.

Michael Fontana

pro member
>However I'm a bit reluctant to have the action depending of paying add-ons like FocusMagic or others. I do understand that these may bring improvement but then we still should propose a real "free" action… That would be the xmas real gift!

Bonsoir Nicolas

I' m fine with that, too.
I can do it for myself in 2 minutes.....

I can understand also the °pushonebutton - forallfiles- idea°.
It has its merits, too.

Does one from the PC-guys figured out the place for the droplet?
Wer'e a mixed-forum, and I'm glad about that ;-)

nicolas claris

Bonsoir Michael
You're right about Windows, Ray? Cem? any other PC guy around to complete the hint?

Re the action depending of paying add-ons like FocusMagic or others, I said I was a bit reluctant, but only for that lone solution.
It would be great to have another one that Bart or you could enhance, say a 'pro' version?

Cem_Usakligil

...You're right about Windows, Ray? Cem? any other PC guy around to complete the hint?...
OK, put the droplet (*.exe file) into the following location on your system drive:

SYSTEM DRIVE LETTER:\Documents and Settings\YOUR OWN USER NAME WITH WHICH YOU LOG ON TO WINDOWS\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom\Export Actions

For example:
C:\Documents and Settings\Cem\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom\Export Actions

HTH,

Cheers,

nicolas claris

Thanks Cem!

so here's the Michael Fontana Hint:

The hint how to run PSactions direcly out of LR:
Create a droplet out of a action (in PS: File/ Automatisation/Make droplet) and put the droplet in:

For Macintosh:

For Windows:
C:\Documents and Settings\'user name used log on to WINDOWS'\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom\Export Actions

Michael Fontana

pro member
To make it clear: I didn't figured out that one myself; I read it, a while ago... somewhere ....and gave it a try; but forgotten the source.

Cem_Usakligil

OK, put the droplet (*.exe file) into the following location on your system drive:

SYSTEM DRIVE LETTER:\Documents and Settings\YOUR OWN USER NAME WITH WHICH YOU LOG ON TO WINDOWS\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom\Export Actions

For example:
C:\Documents and Settings\Cem\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom\Export Actions

HTH,

Cheers,
Sorry guys but I've overlooked a better way of finding out where this directory (folder) is located:
1) Open LR, go to Export menu
2) Click on the Post-Processing "After Export" drop down at the bottom of your screen
3) Choose "Go To Export Actions Folder Now" option, which is the last one on the list
4) This will open the correct folder using the Windows Explorer.
5) Copy the *.exe droplet into the explorer window and you are done.

Bye,

A question to Bart and offcourse anybody else: Do you mind having a look at that "downrez from PhotoAcute-action? It's here
and used to automatate best the downrez of the 380 MB tiffs, beeing generated out of PhotoAcute's big DNGs (with 2 x size, aka superresolution)

See a new thread here, for my reaction.

BTW: Usually, I don't like the colors of LR to much, but with these DNGs from Photoacute, it works just fine. Any comments on that?

As you may remember I experienced several file saving problems with the SuperResolution results. Therefore it's difficult to test what's going on myself. I've ordered some more RAM for one of my computers today, hopefully it helps so I can do better than speculate. I'll keep you posted.

I' ve been adding a very slight tonemapping in 16 bit with the Photomatixplugin for PS, which is a bit different than "Shadow-Highlight" in PS, used by Nicolas.

Bart, could you comment on the differencies, too?

In essence, they are not all that different. The Photomatix plugin is optimized for visually attractive equalization of very large differences in Luminance, whereas Photoshop's Shadow/Highlight function is intended for smaller (local) contrast equalization. The challenges are a bit different, and the Photomatix plugin therefore tends to light-up shadows more than it improves Highlights. So if subtle highlights need improving, maybe the S/H option might offer some advantage.

Bart

Actions

Hello,

I found this to be an interesting discussion about sharpening. As a result I downloaded the 2 actions (thank you Nicolas).

Unfortunatelly I received a couple of error messages when running them on CS3. I'd very much appreciate any trouble shooting suggestion.

Running the 'previous' action it says "Feather is currently not available", the same error is also reported for "Fade".

In the 'Lightness' action the same fault occurs for both "Feather" and "Curves".

In all cases it is possible to continue the action, but I assume some steps are then missing.

Best,
Benny

nicolas claris

Hi Benny
good to see you here and BTW be welcome onboard OPF! If you have time, you may post some about you and your work there

I have absolutely no clue why the action doesn't work properly on your system (Mac? PC?)

Do others got the same problem?

Anyway, just to be sure you have the latest, can you redownload and try the latest version?
In the previous version, it was needed to run it on the "background" layer, not renamed…

zip file

Actions working

Thanks for the welcome Nicolas.
I downloaded and installed the latest version and it now works just like it should.

Best,
Benny

Phil Marion

Bonjour Nicolas,
i just wanted to reply to let you know I STILL use your sharpening action in my workflow. I downloaded it a long time ago - when I was new to digital photography. I was a litttle overwhelmed at the level of technical knowledge that my questions were garnering here. So I decided to go to photography sites where the level of technical knowledge was more to me level/understanding. But enough of that - I guess nobody needs to explain their absence from a forum...
Bottom line. I LOVE your sharpening action. is it possible that you've updated, modified, improve it since it was shared in this thread?
Or do I have to wade in to the long post/thread about distributing free stuff?

Joseph Westrupp

How does everyone here go about output sharpening--do you use general presets based on image size, resolution, and media, or do you vary it on a case by case basis?

Andrew Rodney

In Photoshop I use PhotoKit Sharpener II, in Lightroom I use the print module (for Inkjet output) or Export/Web for screen.

Joseph Westrupp

In Photoshop I use PhotoKit Sharpener II, in Lightroom I use the print module (for Inkjet output) or Export/Web for screen.
Thanks for the reply. So I presume you just use whatever settings PKS gives you based on the information you feed in and your image dimensions, and that the results are satisfactory?

The reason I ask is that I'm inexperienced with printing images, and I'm wondering whether the presets PKS gives you are sufficient, or whether it's better to use something like Sharpener Pro where you can tweak the strength of the output sharpening.

Andrew Rodney

Thanks for the reply. So I presume you just use whatever settings PKS gives you based on the information you give it and your image dimensions and that the results are satisfactory?

The reason I ask is that I'm inexperienced with printing images, and I'm wondering whether the presets PKS gives you are sufficient, or whether it's better to use something like Sharpener Pro where you can tweak the strength of the output sharpening.

I use the settings provided which sharpen based on the file resolution and output device. The results are placed on a group of layers in a Layer Set which can be edited (opacity). But I rarely if ever do this. Its not necessary. The same process is being used within Lightroom as well (that is, LR’s capture and output sharpening are based on PKS).