• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Silhouette of the human form in a composition.

Michel BRAUD

another link

It seems my pictures link wasn't working lets try this one :

Tete-Willy-ecran-ordi-2.jpg

Sieste.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michel,

Your first picture is major closeup! The assymetry with the cord to the headphone makes it work. The second image has the silhouette lost. Here is what doug said od my first picture "It seems more like underexposure". Still, this last photograph if printed large would be impressive.

Asher

doug anderson

I like the reclining form very much. The earphone photo doesn't do much for me.

The lake shot is stunning. I like the way the rock at the bottom adds balance to the composition without attempting to make it exactly symmetrical. I respect also the technical execution of this photo: it is quite good without calling attention to itself.

D

Asher Kelman

Someone To Lean On!

Coming up while I was going down the steps to the Santa Monica beach, I saw this younger man helping an older fellow up the steps.

_MG_5773helpingolderman.jpg

Someone to Lean On! 2008

Not perfect but still they impressed me!

Asher

Yes, I could clean up the lower left or just leave it 'cause it's the truth!

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

I like this series so I thought I'd give it a little kick! This is a scene as the stores were closing in Barcelona on La Rambla.

IMG_2439_jpg_cropped_800.jpg

Asher Kelman Really!

I like the way that the idea of the kids hanging out, staying behind while their friends have gone on home, making a point, for sure, but really not wanting to give up this time together. There is no need for detail, just the shapes suffice.

Asher

Nigel Allan

Primrose Hill Tribe

DSC_4460-1.jpg
Today, 03:39 PM
Nigel Allan: Primrose Hill Tribe 1

DSC_4465.jpg

Nigel Allan: Primrose Hill Tribe 2

I like strong backlight and shoot into the sun quite frequently. I find it more interesting quite often than 'safe' lighting.

This day on Primrose Hill in north London I found the idea of silhouettes quite appealing. It suggests life and community without identifying anyone in particular I think.

Asher Kelman

DSC_4460-1.jpg

Nigel,

Your pictures join our ongoing collection of silhouettes of the human form. Yours are great additions. We've had nothing like them! The single red balloon adds a lyrical touch. I agree with the idea of anonymizing the folk. It allows one to look at behavior without the unimportant particulars. I get the feeling of a long evening of hanging out with friends and sharing stories, someone will get a hug, even a kiss, another a smoke or a sip of beer.

Asher

Nigel Allan

DSC_4460-1.jpg

Nigel,

Your pictures join our ongoing collection of silhouettes of the human form. Yours are great additions. We've had nothing like them! The single red balloon adds a lyrical touch. I agree with the idea of anonymizing the folk. It allows one to look at behavior without the unimportant particulars. I get the feeling of a long evening of hanging out with friends and sharing stories, someone will get a hug, even a kiss, another a smoke or a sip of beer.

Asher

Thank you Asher, I am honoured that you chose to include them. I had added a few more from that afternoon below. Yes silhouettes make for very interesting subjects and fly in the face of many modern digital photographers' attempts to restrain the dynamic range of the shot so as not to 'lose shadow detail' or blow highlights. Sometimes it works well to break with convention IMHO

DSC_4465-1.jpg

1. Primrose Hill tribe No 3

DSC_4468-1.jpg

2. Primrose Hill tribe No 4. Beer, bicycles, balloons

DSC_4478.jpg

3. A Canon photographer leaving Primrose Hill (I saw him shooting the sights earlier in pic 4 to the right)

Last edited:

Nigel Allan

Thanks Nigel, this is the Staten Island Ferry heading to Manhattan.

Out of interest, did you have a full silhouette in mind as the final product when you took this or did this come to you as you were processing it? Mine above for example had such intense backlight that there could not have been any other way to display them which made sense

Ruben Alfu

Out of interest, did you have a full silhouette in mind as the final product when you took this or did this come to you as you were processing it? Mine above for example had such intense backlight that there could not have been any other way to display them which made sense

Hi Nigel, I saw the opportunity of getting the ferry and the people framing the city, and having everything inside the ferry going black was the most interesting option (instead of trying to fill with flash for example). During post I recomposed a bit and adjusted contrast.

Asher Kelman

Prateek, is that another person on the very right? Also, where is this and what's the elevation and temperature at this time?

Asher

Prateek Dubey

Hello Asher,
There's no one on the right. Just rocks, but beyond the foreground there's an airport. This was shot in Leh, the capital of Ladakh. Its in the very northern boundary of India. Leh is at a hight of around 13000 ft above sea level. It takes a while to adjust to this altitude. The temperature must be around 12-15deg Centigrade. It was June last year. Hottest month of India. In winters temperature plummet in the same region to -20 deg centigrade. Also its a high altitude desert...

Prateek Dubey

Hello Nigel,
The original shot ( out of the box) is pretty washed out. The sun was almost opposite the camera. But beyond adjusting levels selectively through masks and doing a large radius high pass filter to extract details, there's no other PP. Oh! yes, some lens flare spots were cloned out.

Nigel Allan

Another submission from me. I have just bought a Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED (Since they have now stopped production I needed to get it now) and have started to look through some of my old negs and slides.

Here is one from Sydney, Australia in 1989 shot with my Pentax LX on Ektachrome (probably 100 or 200 ASA/ISO). No post processing, no cropping. This is as shot.

19890401-SydneyAustralia1989.jpg

Nigel Allan: Silhouettes, Sydney, Australia - April 1989

Asher Kelman

Cedric,

You Silhouettes picture from today, also belongs here with our growing collection. So I made a copy. Thanks for the permission. I hope it stimulates others to follow with their own contributions.

Asher

I have one (yes I can post photos sometimes) where the silhouette is not very easy to find - not the main subject (which is quite common) but I think the silhouette add something to this picture...

carouselplacestgeorges-1.jpg

PS: I am probably a bit off of topic there, but I thought that it was a silhouette as well.