• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Snapshots with a smartphone camera

Jerome Marot

Good one Jerome. Actually, I seem to like almost no pictures at the moment, not only my own.

But do you only watch pictures on the Internet? Photographer's sites only present a small subset of photography. May I suggest you spend an afternoon at a public library in the photobooks section? You could also consider visiting a few exhibitions, museum, etc... I do that myself from time to time, when I lost inspiration.

Cem_Usakligil

Look at http://OPFGalleryOne, are there any pictures you especially like?

Any of mine you would like one your wall?

I don’t need flattery, I am really interested in the possible scope of what you might like. If there are any that move you I would love to know. If one happens to be mine that would be fun but that is incidental.

Perhaps we don’t have a broad enough set to choose from but it’s a start!

Interested in exploring?

Asher
Hi Asher,

This is not about your images or anybody else's really. I am kind of tired of looking at photographs, regardless of whose they are.
But I would definitely be honored to have one of your photos on my wall for sure. :)

Cem_Usakligil

But do you only watch pictures on the Internet? Photographer's sites only present a small subset of photography. May I suggest you spend an afternoon at a public library in the photobooks section? You could also consider visiting a few exhibitions, museum, etc... I do that myself from time to time, when I lost inspiration.
Again, you make the right observations and comments. I was thinking along the same lines myself. I have a large collection of photography books, so I wouldn't even have to go to a museum. I will start browsing in them for some inspiration.

Cem_Usakligil

Can you explain 2 things?

1. That picture in the brick wall.

2. How do you get the list of hashtags?

Asher
Hi Asher,

1. Picture in the brick wall, what about it? It was there and I don't know who did it or when.
  2. List of hashtags is an experiment. I have looked at some high scoring pictures and noted down the hashtags to which they were posted. To see if I could get a high number of likes. However, I am not chasing a high number of likes. I am just curious how the mechanism works. So far, it doesn't seem to be working for me anyway, lol.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, Cem,

Just a wall? I guess you might say that in terms of comparing it with the Tate or St Paul’s Cathedral, but as a photograph it ranks highly for me.

This, unlike the monumental public buildings would be an unlikely stop for a tourist with a camera. This is uniquely intimate and has continued pull as it can be explored again and again for all the private things that might happen there, past, present and future.

Asher

Jerome Marot

I have a large collection of photography books, so I wouldn't even have to go to a museum. I will start browsing in them for some inspiration.

I don't think that browsing books you already own would work. I suppose you already know what is in them.

There may also be a misconception about "looking for inspiration". You should not look for some image which you could copy. At present, your problem is that pictures do not raise any emotional response in you. That is what you should be looking for: an image, or probably a series of images as these things usually work, which would have you stop, raise an eyebrow and want to know more. That is more likely to happen with pictures quite different to the ones you are used to.

Cem_Usakligil

I don't think that browsing books you already own would work. I suppose you already know what is in them.

There may also be a misconception about "looking for inspiration". You should not look for some image which you could copy. At present, your problem is that pictures do not raise any emotional response in you. That is what you should be looking for: an image, or probably a series of images as these things usually work, which would have you stop, raise an eyebrow and want to know more. That is more likely to happen with pictures quite different to the ones you are used to.
All good ideas, again. ;)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jerome,

I find that I have not always been diligent with the books I own and still find something draw-dropping as I accidentally do similar work and compare the approaches.

But then, it’s still easier to go to galleries with fresh shows!

I know much of Helmut Newton’s work and then one day, in an open book in some high end clothing store I am moved by a picture I had overlooked. So it must be that we are ready for the new experience.

Sometimes it’s like seeing a student from college again years later and realizing what you had let slip away!

Asher