• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Solution to Nik Software crashing Photoshop

Robert Watcher

I am trying to keep my investment in software, going as long as possible, so it was a huge disappointment to discover that my Nik plugin for Photoshop was no longer of any use as it crashed PS whenever I would attempt to apply the Nik filters. Being Nik has been working for years in this same version of PS 6, I figured it must be a conflict related to the last couple of OSX updates for my MacBook Air.

While disappointing, it wasnt really an issue because I have been primarily doing most editing in Lightroom 5 for several years now - and over the past year or more I have been using the Snapseed app on my iPad as the principle way to get my images ready for web display.

My needs changed a couple of weeks ago when I desired to benefit from the features of ColorFX pro for some commercial work that I am currently doing. Nik can be really be useful for giving that little extra zing to the travel photos I am doing for them - importantly while maintaining high image quality. I gave Nik a try one more time again this morning, to the same result. Research led me to find out the DXO has taken over the Nik line and that I could purchase their updated plugin for $150.00.

Before committing, I decided to see if there was anything online to indicate that others experienced this issue and were trying to resolve it....

.... sure enough. And what a simple fix. In settings, After Clicking OK > apply the filtered effect to the current layer. The default is apply the filtered effect to a new layer. IT WORKED. The only caveat is to remember to have a copy of the original image file as there is no longer the protection of the layer with Nik applied, or the ability to mask the layer or adjust transparency or blend modes. It is generally not going to be an issue with me because I am mostly taking a copy of my image into PS, from Lightroom. Anyway, if you have had this same issue - here you go.

Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher

Why can’t the layer be masked?

My initial conclusion yesterday was that the changes are applied directly to the image in Photoshop (base layer) so there would be nothing underneath to reveal by masking.

However you got me reconsidering, and I was wrong. With this workaround the changes are saved to the layer you are working on instead of creating a new layer, however I didn’t consider that I can still create my own duplicate layer of the base layer before opening up in Nik and it doesn’t crash. So it works just as before. Thanks.

Robert Watcher

(Revised)

.... sure enough. And what a simple fix. In settings, After Clicking OK > apply the filtered effect to the current layer. The default is apply the filtered effect to a new layer. IT WORKED. The only difference with this workaround will be that instead of Nik creating a new PS layer with the changes applied - you will likely want to create your own layer with a duplicate of the base image. If not, the changes will be applied directly to your image (base layer) and you won’t be able to mask or do other layer manipulations. The only caveat is to remember to have a copy of the original image file as there is no longer the protection of the layer with Nik applied, or the ability to mask the layer or adjust transparency or blend modes. It is generally not going to be an issue with me because I am mostly taking a copy of my image into PS, from Lightroom. Anyway, if you have had this same issue - here you go.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great!

This has been my standard method for all work in PS with external filters, even my my favorite which is CC Adobe Camera RAW: always make a duplicate before hand!

🙏

Asher