• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

SPACE WRITING WITH IPHONE AND LIVE COMPOSITE

Robert Watcher

One of my favourite Olympus camera features, is Live Composite. I recently used it in two nighttime situations with very cool results as Travel Pics.

The most challenging part is being able to define the distance of the iPhone light source from camera as well as the starting and ending points that my feet need to travel laterally as well as the vertical start and end points to determine the height and consistency of the letters - so the wording is in the correct position. Once a test or two has been done to determine those positions (Anne is behind the camera watching light trails on the screen and directing me) - then it takes visualization to look into the empty space in front of you so that letters are spaced well. Oh yeah —- and you form the letters by spelling them backwards - an important visualization.

It all looks so easy when you see the end result LOL.

These shots were taken in Nicaragua - the first was in the capital city Managua, in a dark sparse park where the National Palace and adjoining Museum were dimly lit. The second was taken at the active Masaya Volcano where the long exposure allowed the flowing lava down in the crater, to provide a red glow to the whole crater. Both of these images were just one take after I had my boundaries set with a couple of test images.

This image below wasn’t taken using Live Composite - just a long exposure with my camera hanging out over the edge of a wall —- but shows the visible Lava flowing at the base of the crater.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So the iPhone is just the light source!

You are super-skilled. It’s pretty amazing. Great to have Anne as a watcher, as one might otherwise get distracted and end up falling over a wall or worse!

Asher

Robert Watcher

So the iPhone is just the light source!

You are super-skilled. It’s pretty amazing. Great to have Anne as a watcher, as one might otherwise get distracted and end up falling over a wall or worse!

Asher

Thanks Asher. Yes - I turn on the torch on my iPhone and face it towards my body when I don’t want the light to show, and aim it towards the camera when I am drawing with it.

I actually think that it is pretty cool that I am in the scene standing stationary while I draw each letter —- and can’t be seen. As long as there is no light source hitting me, I am virtually invisible.

Nice little pun about Anne lol.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Asher. Yes - I turn on the torch on my iPhone and face it towards my body when I don’t want the light to show, and aim it towards the camera when I am drawing with it.

What’s amazing is the thought that one member of the single species surviving species of hominids, invests effort in an activity that doesn’t optimize survival of the genes, but expands cognitive reach of the minds “what if” capability for mere entertainment!

Nice little pun about Anne lol.

Well, Robert, when I typed, I didn’t realize the “pun” but felt that I must have somehow spelt the word, “watcher”, incorrectly!

Asher