• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Spiderwebs reflect UV to attract prey

Jerome Marot

So spiderwebs reflect UV. That is shown in your picture. What the picture does not show is whether a web which would not reflect UV would attract less preys.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So spiderwebs reflect UV. That is shown in your picture. What the picture does not show is whether a web which would not reflect UV would attract less preys.
Jerome,

When UV reflecting spiders are small it’s likely that UV reflectivity of the web could very well protect it by camouflage.

But “attracting insects” seems worthy of bringing in other supportive evidence no so far mentioned.

Asher

Jerome Marot

I don't have to, it has been published here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/232692128_Ultraviolet_reflectance_of_spiders_and_their_webs and my interest was to see if I could prove that....
Thank you for the citation. The following passage may be of particular interest as to the role of UV reflectance of spider webs:

Bird vision is more similar to that of humans, but it often—like that of insects—extends into the UV (Finger & Burkhardt 1994).Consequently, stabilimenta are probably quiteconspicuous to birds. Since birds are only rarely the prey of spiders, it may be concluded that the main function of stabilimentum is probably deterrence against birds, rather than attraction of prey; thus confirming the studies of e.g., Lubin (1975), Horton (1980), Eisner & Nowicki (1983), Schoener & Spiller (1992) and Blackledge & Wenzel (1999). However, before any final conclusions can be drawn, much more must be learned about the way different potential prey and predators perceive spiders and their webs.