• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Strictly For The Birds

Tony Britton

I hope you'll enjoy these wonderful birds. It's such an honor to be in their presence!

Double-crested Cormorant
DSC09003tb-L.jpg

Green Heron
IMG_5062-L.jpg

Snowy Egret
DSC00355-L.jpg

Brown Pelican
DSC00970-L.jpg

Tony Britton

These are delightfully colored and sharp.

How do you obtain the “horizontally” moving bokeh?

Asher
Hi Asher,

What I especially enjoy about bird portraits is the opportunity to involve dynamic bokeh backgrounds, which involve water in the case of these 3 examples, rather than a static bokeh background involving trees or bushes. It lends a dreamy quality to the composition, in my opinion. If there's a touch of turbulence in the water, then all the better!

Tony

Jerome Marot

Very nice bird close-ups, but I have difficulty visualizing how the pictures were taken. The pictures of water birds, in particular, seem to be taken from a higher observation point. Would you have pictures of the surroundings so that I understand better how the birds were photographed?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tony,

These are exquisite! Thank you so much.

Were these shot with a non-interchangeable-lens camera? I seem to recall that some of your earlier work on birds was.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tony,

I just read that The pigeon guillemot is a species of bird in the auk family, Alcidae.

8C59F3CF-BD6D-4137-AF85-F08F74092804.jpeg

Tony Britton: Pigeon Guilletmot

I am reminded of the high fashion women’s shoes with touches of red.

135A873F-87C6-4C1E-9B76-379580C0A927.jpeg

Perhaps the colors of this Pigeon Guiletmot inspired that human fad!

Tony Britton

Very nice bird close-ups, but I have difficulty visualizing how the pictures were taken. The pictures of water birds, in particular, seem to be taken from a higher observation point. Would you have pictures of the surroundings so that I understand better how the birds were photographed?
Hello Jerome,

Thanks for looking and commenting. Here's an example of a wider shot from the Snowy Egret series. The "observation point" depends upon how agreeable my arthritic knees are on a given day! I especially enjoy photographing Great Herons and Great Egrets because I don't have to get too low to obtain an eye level shot!:)
DSC00191-L.jpg

Tony Britton

Hi, Tony,

These are exquisite! Thank you so much.

Were these shot with a non-interchangeable-lens camera? I seem to recall that some of your earlier work on birds was.

Best regards,

Doug
Hello Doug,

Thanks for looking and commenting. Yes, all of my photos are from non-interchangeable lens cameras. My current camera is the Sony DSC-RX10 M3 bridge camera, which is really fantastic! It has a 20 megapixel 1" sensor and sports a 24-600 mm (35 mm equivalent) lens. The Green Heron shot from the recent series is from a very old Canon SX40 superzoom, which has 12 megapixels and a 24-840 mm (35 mm equivalent) lens.

Best,
Tony

Tony Britton

Here's a another set I hope you'll enjoy!

Great Egret
DSC05315%20%282%29_edited-1-XL.jpg

Brown Pelican
DSC02595-L.jpg

Green Heron
IMG_0424tb-L.jpg

Say's Phoebe
DSC03742%20%282%29%20-%20Copy-L.jpg

Wood Duck
DSC08292_edited-1-L.jpg

Double-crested Cormorant
DSC00043%20-%20Copy-L.jpg