• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

studio strobe/flash 20D rear sync ?

Robert Schultz

studio strobe/flash ,20D rear sync ?
where can I set that?
can't seam to find the setting? in M mode ?
appriciate it, thanks, Robert

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Robert,

The EOS 20D is not prepared to operate external non-dedicated flash units in a 2nd curtain sync mode.

There is a setting for 2nd curtain sync in the custom functions (CF15=1) but that only is effective for Canon Speedlite flash units.

A pity.

Hi, Robert:

As Doug said, the 20D does not support second-curtain sync directly with studio strobes, and the same is true for all other EOS cameras as well. However, here is a popular workaround:

1. Set your studio strobe for optical slave triggering. (Some studio strobes have this feature built in. Others may require an accessory attached to the sync terminal.)

2. Mount a 580EX, 550EX or 430EX to the camera's hot shoe and set the Speedlite to its Manual mode at a low power ratio, e.g., 1/64 or 1/128. Tilt the flash head up. Set the Speedlite to second-curtain sync.

3. Set the EOS camera to its manual mode at appropriate shutter speed/aperture/ISO settings according to the desired exposure level.

4. Fire at will, within the recycling limits of your studio strobe.

Assuming a typical indoor studio set-up, this technique is pretty reliable. You may have to tweak it a bit for unusual conditions such as scrims, gobos, panels, reflectors, etc. that may block the illumination of the Speedlite from reaching the optical slave trigger of the studio strobe, but this sort of problem can usually be fixed by repositioning the power pack of the studio strobe and/or changing the position of the flash head on the Speedlite.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall
Director/Media & Customer Relationship
Camera Marketing Group/Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Robert Schultz

rear sync curtain 20D studio strobes

so the work a round , would be , using my metz, to set to rear sync,
and use slave trigger ?
this adds weight to the camera,...
does the 5D or 1D have that function ?
or any wireless trigger system ?

appriciate your help, thanks, Robert

Doug Kerr said:
Hi, Robert,

The EOS 20D is not prepared to operate external non-dedicated flash units in a 2nd curtain sync mode.

There is a setting for 2nd curtain sync in the custom functions (CF15=1) but that only is effective for Canon Speedlite flash units.

A pity.

Hi, Robert:

As I said, no EOS camera supports second-curtain sync directly with studio strobes. Canon's EX Speedlites, especially the 430EX are a lot lighter than your Metz, so they might be more appropriate for this purpose.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall

D

Doug Kerr

Hi, Chuck,

Way crafty!

I have in fact just taken to using my 550EX (in M mode, at some modest output setting, aimed at the ceiling) to trigger a bunch of vanilla flash units with added optical triggers around the studio.

I didn't realize that this way I could also do 2nd-curtain sync (not any need for it in this setting so far, but . . .).

Thanks for the tip.

Best regards,

Doug

Robert Schultz

thanks, Chuck !
looks like the only other option is pocketwizard multimax,
reading the spec, rear sync 1 sec to 1/60 ,
if anybody used the pocketwizard in rear sync, love to hear your experience,
thanks, Robert

Chuck Westfall(Canon USA) said:
Hi, Robert:

As I said, no EOS camera supports second-curtain sync directly with studio strobes. Canon's EX Speedlites, especially the 430EX are a lot lighter than your Metz, so they might be more appropriate for this purpose.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall

Ray West

Dunno if it helps, but I think there is an e22x or similar numbered device from canon, which is a flash trigger, like bottom of the canon dedicated type - costs about 40 dollars.

Hi, Ray:

You might be thinking of Speedlite 220EX, which is our entry level flash. It's great for regular flash photos, but it's not a good choice for this particular purpose because it has no manual flash mode and it's direct flash only (no bounce).

The nice thing about manual flash mode is that it fires only once for each exposure, as opposed to E-TTL autoflash which fires a preflash just before the real exposure. Typical optical slave triggers would fire on the preflash if the Speedlite is set to E-TTL mode, thus preventing the studio strobe from firing during the real exposure.

Also, the bounce heads of the 580EX, 550EX amd 430EX allow the flash head to be pointed away from the picture area so that their lighting doesn't affect the studio strobe lighting.

Last but not least, the fact that the manual flash can be set to very low power ratios means that there's enough light to set off the optical slave, but not enough to have any significant effect on the studio strobe lighting even if some of the Speedlite's illumination bounces into the picture area by mistake.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall

Sid Jervis

pro member
Thanks for the workaround, really helpful as I had just sat down with the manuals to see if it was possible.

I would also like to know if anyone uses the Pocketwizard for rear sync.

Ray West

Hi Chuck, I think it was the ST-E2 I was thinking of, I know nothing much about flash equipment, it came up on another forum recently, (but the thread is deleted - I hope that doesn't happen over here). I got the price wrong too, put it down to currency exchange rates, or it being an age thing...

Best wishes, Ray

Last edited:

Michael Tapes

OPF Administrator/Moderator
I will ask Loreno from the <AC group to comment on the Pocket Wizard functionality. I would suspect that it can do it. It is a real swiss army knife;.

Tony Fiorda

The PW Multimax will allow a 2nd or Rear Curtain sync. It's on page 33 of the manual that can be dl'ed from their site. Essentially it delays the radio firing by 'some' time. The manual gives times from 1/60th thru 1/1 but also give instruction to customize the delay.

I've tested it out on my 5D and it does indeed seem to work. Not done any real shots with it yet, just tested.

Tony...