• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The SPIDER THREAD - post your spiders here.

Paul Iddon

Subadult male Neriene montana (one of the Money Spiders which belong to the family Linyphiidae). It is recognised by the dark brown radiating lines on the carapace, a dark-edged brown abdomen with pale mottled sides and annulated legs. This huge family includes over 40% of the spiders found in Britain with over 270 species.

malespiderfence02_4k_1800-XL.jpg

malespiderfence03_4k_1800-XL.jpg

malespiderfence05_4k_1800-XL.jpg

malespiderfence04_4k_1800-XL.jpg

malespiderfence06_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These spiders are extraordinary in their leg stripes and the seemingly massive growth of those clasping jaws!

Are they used when they are overgrown?

At first I thought they were eyes on stalks, thrn they seem to be crutches!

Asher

Paul Iddon

The jaws grow in line with the spiders growth and can therefore be quite large or small.

In one specie of European spiders the fangs (chelicerae) continue to overgrow - quite literally "long in the tooth" - that being the Neriene montana (featured in other photos above this) and is believed to be quite unique.

Paul.

Asher Kelman

The jaws grow in line with the spiders growth and can therefore be quite large or small.

In one specie of European spiders the fangs (chelicerae) continue to overgrow - quite literally "long in the tooth" - that being the Neriene montana (featured in other photos above this) and is believed to be quite unique.

Paul.
But how do they still use them when massive?

Asher Kelman

This fellow is so well imaged and becomes my favorite!

58C7F56F-03A5-4F75-B28D-72A18F4E7C90.jpeg

Beautiful enameled body and surgeon’s eyes!

Fabulous!

Asher

Paul Iddon

Thank you Asher.

I'm not sure if she is gravid or not - seems to be the wrong time of year for that, but you never know.

Paul.

Paul Iddon

She is tucked up in the top of the bird table at the moment - but she did peep out earlier, and she wasn't cross... 😇😉

cross_spider_1a_4k-XL.jpg

cross_spider_2a_4k-XL.jpg

cross_spider_5a%20copy_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Paul.

Asher Kelman

Such an intricate and sophisticated organism. I am sure if we studied this lady/fellow’s biology we’d learn a universe of new and useful science. This is something like meeting an extraterrestrial!

Your photography allows us to leave behind reality for a moment and look into another world!

Asher

Paul Iddon

Beautiful silvery spider!

what is the “missing segment” that names the species?

Asher

They get their name from the web - usually, an orb spider spins a near-perfect web, but for some reason, this species misses joining some parts of theirs - hence the missing sector.

Paul.

Paul Iddon

And why is it outside? Is it a lure for insects that can smell the residual scent of the missing eggs?

I read somewhere that when placed on the soil, some insects will actually go into (under) it. One person said she found 3 dozen harvestmen beneath hers one morning - I was hoping for a few at least, but so far, just a spider...

Paul.

Asher Kelman

I read somewhere that when placed on the soil, some insects will actually go into (under) it. One person said she found 3 dozen harvestmen beneath hers one morning - I was hoping for a few at least, but so far, just a spider...

Paul.
Perhaps a little protein will invite in the first part of your community!

A tiny fragment of chicken or gravy?