• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Venezuelens

Peter Dexter

They are camped near the bus terminal in Cali. They have fled Venezuela and once hoped to continue on from Colombia to Ecuador where they believed there were better economic opportunities. Now they don't want to go because of the devastation the virus has caused in that country and many who went are now returning to Colombia and Cali. Some wanted to return to Venezuela and the city of Cali provided twenty buses to take them to the border. More want to go they say but the city can't afford to pay for more buses. Venezuelans have been camping on the streets in Cali for more than a year and scraping by as best they can. There are two hundred and seventy thousand now in Cali and more keep coming.

49953270658_d67c41614f_h.jpg

49954055637_eccbca2694_h.jpg

49953759481_5de02b64ce_h.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Germany should fly them in. They will stimulate the economy. Loyal, hardworking, Christian, Catholic often), if folk can put aside racial prejudices for Muslims, then they would have no problems with the new folk that would revive their empty Cathedrals!

Asher

fahim mohammed

What made Germany come to your mind, Asher?

Germany should fly them in. They will stimulate the economy. Loyal, hardworking, Christian, Catholic often), if folk can put aside racial prejudices for Muslims, then they would have no problems with the new folk that would revive their empty Cathedrals!

Asher

Asher Kelman

They have a crisis with lack of new babies. They are still short a million people.

We need 4 million new babies a year in the USA to maintain our society strength.

In the wealthier Western societies woman are delaying children often till late 30s and we are facing existential threat to our labor force.

Trump may not comprehend how important this is and his racist views prevent him from entertaining a major welcoming of folk that are not white Anglo-Saxon Protestant!

Merkel faces criticism for inviting in 1,000,000 folk from Muslim nations. Still she did it! I would think the xenophobic population would now accept South Americans as they already speak a European language at are close to them in religion.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Interesting post and follow up. When I parsed your original post, certain words jumped at me.
Your response was even more interesting.

There are other countries, that face the same or greater threat of zero population growth. And, at least one, is very sparsely populated and that would fulfill your reasoning for acceptance for these folks; if you think of suffering humans as merely in terms of ( maybe rightfully from certain ideology bent ) ’ laborers ‘. Missing in your response was the word ‘ cheap, inexpensive, exploiitable laborers ‘.

Dont know why, but way back when I used to write computer code on teletypes the words ‘ Master/Slave ‘ relationships sprung to to my mind.

Even to the Greeks of Bygone millennia such ideas as yours was central to their ‘ democracies’. As was the Senate of Rome.
I learnt through history books, that modern democracies borrowed heavily from them. Even the facade of buildings reflect that!

Just a rant of a very old man, whose thinking is shaped by his parents, environment and values.

Asher Kelman

Dear Fahim,

I look on the South American workers from the point of view of their contribution from being violinists and doctors to nurses, machinists and restaurant owners, athletes and schoolchildren and everything in between.

The Hispanics I know so well, (like hundreds of thousands of incoming Jews from Europe to the USA), may have arrived in rags and work first as porters, but will contribute, study, invent and strive, arrive late, arrive early, get speeding tickets and face difficult years and finally see their children grow up as publicly treasured citizens.

Asher

Asher Kelman

.....and why pick on Germany?

The German economy has the most to gain in settling and absorbing a million refugees escaping from the tragic breakdown in Venezuela. The Germans have the money to fund their education and advancement and will thus not have to suffer the inevitable damage and risk of collapse on reaching the hazardous epoch of plateauing their previously Gomperzian growth, when workers, teachers and scientists to police and poets are not replaced!

DDE05DD2-381A-4E5A-BBC6-EBD91928E594.jpeg

The immigrants will sustain their life force of the country while contributing to an expanded social and genetic diversity!

Few other countries have the ready resources to match this. But doubtless there are others who could help themselves equally by inviting these tragically affected folk too!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Merkel faces criticism for inviting in 1,000,000 folk from Muslim nations. Still she did it! I would think the xenophobic population would now accept South Americans as they already speak a European language at are close to them in religion.

You seem to refer to the Syria refugee crisis. The refugees come from an area shared between Syria, the north of Irak and the south of Turkey. There is a sizeable proportion of christians in that part of the world and, because people fled what can be described as a religious war, there was an increased proportion of them in the refugees. Your post could be interpreted as if most refugees were muslims, but it was not so.

It is true that many did not speak a language the Germans would understand, but neither does the average German understand Spanish.

James Lemon

You seem to refer to the Syria refugee crisis. The refugees come from an area shared between Syria, the north of Irak and the south of Turkey. There is a sizeable proportion of christians in that part of the world and, because people fled what can be described as a religious war, there was an increased proportion of them in the refugees. Your post could be interpreted as if most refugees were muslims, but it was not so.

It is true that many did not speak a language the Germans would understand, but neither does the average German understand Spanish.

What Germany doesn't have GSL programs ?

Jerome Marot

As I have no idea what "GSL programs" are, I looked it up. Came with "Gnu Scientific Library", "Global Social Leaders", "Global Service Learning" and "Guaranteed Student Loans".

Probably you refer to some sort of adult language courses. They do exist in Germany.

James Lemon

As I have no idea what "GSL programs" are, I looked it up. Came with "Gnu Scientific Library", "Global Social Leaders", "Global Service Learning" and "Guaranteed Student Loans".

Probably you refer to some sort of adult language courses. They do exist in Germany.

Yes you are correct! I was thinking German as a Second Language (GSL)

Asher Kelman

BTW, what has happened to the Syrians is a shameful disgrace to all of us! Jérôme, you are correct in reminding us of the Christians too that were displaced. No doubt they have a bit of an advantage in finding religious refuge in a Christian country. But the welcoming of foreign Muslims by the Germans is a major act of respect and human kindness for such a large proportion of the victims of the terror who were brutalized by the Turk, Russian, fundamentalist and “Government” forces!

Asher

as a footnote, it could be that had the German tribes not routed the Roman legions sent to crush them, the German language and English for that matter would hardly be spoken today!