• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The window people of Austria

Back in 1985 I was part of a college trip to Europe on the way to an archaeological dig in Jerusalem. As best as I can recall, these photos were taken in Mattsee, Austria.

It appears I took these “human studies” from a hotel window as I watched the locals going about their business. And one of them was watching me!

Photos attached include the original or similar frames as well as some artsy post-processing.

If anybody knows the guy with the camera, I'd love to see the photo of me he took ;-). The neighborhood is shown in the colorized street scene.

pigeonwindowart.jpg

windowmanart.jpg

pigeonwindoworig.jpg

windowmanfull.jpg

pigeonstreet.jpg

Last edited:
Apologies to Austria! This was actually taken from the Hotel Strauss in Wurzburg Germany!

You can see the pigeon house at right and rooftop windows at left.

wurzburg.jpg

A quick pic of the original contact sheet.

contact.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Great, so now you can work out the numbers on the street and determine the addresses of folk in the windows including the fellow with the film camera. What year was this, about 1975?

the fellow has already started balding but even if he’s young, he’s at least 30 years old. So now he must be 75 or older depending on the date of these pictures.

So he could be still alive, living at that address!

Ironically it's hard to drive this street view. You end up inside the hotel...

It was 1985. Close enough ;-)

Asher Kelman

Ironically it's hard to drive this street view. You end up inside the hotel...

It was 1985. Close enough ;-)
So that photographer would be at least 65 years old. Well I guess there’s a good chance he’s still alive but has a year 2,000 Canon, Nikon or Pentax!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Maybe if you have a member in or near Wurzburg they can swing by... Wouldn't that be funny!
Würzburg, though it’s famous people, is a good representative of the entire German place in the 20th Century.

I have never visited, but pick a side or a subject and there are major streams of importance from this one Bavarian Town!

Asher

Back in 1985 I was part of a college trip to Europe on the way to an archaeological dig in Jerusalem. As best as I can recall, these photos were taken in Mattsee, Austria.

It appears I took these “human studies” from a hotel window as I watched the locals going about their business. And one of them was watching me!

Photos attached include the original or similar frames as well as some artsy post-processing.

If anybody knows the guy with the camera, I'd love to see the photo of me he took ;-). The neighborhood is shown in the colorized street scene.

View attachment 5685

View attachment 5686

View attachment 5687

View attachment 5688

View attachment 5689
These are great. I don't know how you did the post processing of the artsy ones, but they are fabulous!