• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

This weeks thoughts in picture amidst interludes of discourse.

James Lemon

So you you agree!

Great we’re on the same wavelength and Tom can once again gaze inward, outward or through the imaginary orifice of his choice, without your complaint?

.....or not?

Asher

Who is complaining simply critiqued a photo, whats the problem? You and Tom can varnish things up as much as you want personally I don't care but you cant make sugar out of shit.

James

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Who is complaining simply critiqued a photo, whats the problem? You and Tom can varnish things up as much as you want personally I don't care but you cant make sugar out of shit.

James
James,

You have a perfect right to point out why Tom’s work doesn’t make it for you and merits the dismissal as “shit”!

It could indeed be just as worthless to many of us, who don’t express their opinion.

My personal caution is that you seem to express you own reaction as if it’s absolute: like, if it’s going to be taken seriously, then the dog MUST be visible.

For me, I am so impressed by the gesture of the bent man in the curve of a tree, that I had no pressing concerns about for anything else! I saw it as a thing of form and gesture.

On reflection, next I thought of the passage of time and aging.

Then I wondered about the tree and old-man shadows being from two different light sources!

...........Only after other folk’s comments did I examine the picture for the missing dog(s)!

But if someone took this to be, “A picture of a man walking his dog”, then, indeed there was something missing, which you, understandably, didn’t accept.

In documenting “A dog being walked” a dog, surely, is needed!

However, in a photograph, purely as art, who can say what is “needed” unless one commissions the artist to include the dog!

Since I am geared to art, ideas and the the music between the notes, (in jazz), dog or no dog, I like the images both for form and as an incomplete open-ended metaphor that everyone would have to fathom for themselves.

I was in the Venice Biennale decades ago in the USA pavilion and was stunned to see several pieces of ~3 ft squares of paving stones stacked at odd angles as the major contribution that year for the American contribution to the show!

I heard so many comments of disappointment, dismissal and disgust that this could be called art, never mind “Art” to represent our best!

I myself thought it was a work of transience and unimportant. But others thought it was simply brilliant, being so simple!

So you thinking Tom’s work is not worthy for your taste is fine by me.

I just happen, this time, to admire it.

In our strongly opposing opinions, we make for a better understanding of his work.

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

James, did you not see Tom cleared it up in his description above. The dog was taking a piss so maybe that is why Tom hid it. LOL
Don

James Lemon

However, in a photograph, purely as art, who can say what is “needed” unless one commissions the artist to include the dog!

Asher

I would be skeptical labeling it as art. The fundamentals of photography are the ability to record real things. It is not a mind game to support some far fetched theory as Tom would like us to believe.

James

Asher Kelman

I would be skeptical labeling it as art. The fundamentals of photography are the ability to record real things. It is not a mind game to support some far fetched theory as Tom would like us to believe.

James
Forget for a moment about Tom! Let’s agree he is not up to our high standards and is no artist, poet or sage worth paying attention to.

Obviously in science, insurance, fire investigation or police work, flights of fancy are not allowed. So let’s exclude that class of photography.

Let’s switch to any National Gallery with Art of the last 100 years. Likely as not the have major collections of photography. But these are not for documenting anything AFAIK, (although documentary photographs of importance might also be collected).

Aren’t they photographs collected as accepted “Art” which inspires abstract thinking and personal imaginary projections.

Or perhaps you either don’t accept photographs as genuine “Art” or perhaps you ONLy accept photographs documenting real things,

......or just not not as poetic metaphors or playgrounds for dreamy even narcissistic folk to enter and muse therein?

Although it might be a result of my self-absorption, but I thought it was accepted that a photograph can do all that and more!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom

Photography is not about tricks,gimmicks, gazing inward,looking beyond reality, or contaminating them with our own ideas. They should teach us to look more closely at things through a corrective lens to our own flawed vision. Nothing harsh or disappointing about it.

James

I gave a great deal of thought to what you said, James.
Since that’s what I should do I chose to rid myself of all my books that discussed beyond th image, showed signs of trickery, or contaminated with ideas.
After removing some 278 books from the shelves I was left with one. I assume you know it. It’s called How To Take a Photograph and was published in 1948 by Kodak. My dad gave it to me when I was about 12. Funnily enough, it was the start of everything.
Damn that book. I’ve been thinking beyond it ever since.
Your not religious by any chance, are you. Some people treat the bible in the same way you treat photography: with both eyes closed to possibilities.

James Lemon

I gave a great deal of thought to what you said, James.
Since that’s what I should do I chose to rid myself of all my books that discussed beyond th image, showed signs of trickery, or contaminated with ideas.
After removing some 278 books from the shelves I was left with one. I assume you know it. It’s called How To Take a Photograph and was published in 1948 by Kodak. My dad gave it to me when I was about 12. Funnily enough, it was the start of everything.
Damn that book. I’ve been thinking beyond it ever since.
Your not religious by any chance, are you. Some people treat the bible in the same way you treat photography: with both eyes closed to possibilities.

Yes Tom this would explain how to miss the important details of an image you should try a different library.

James

Asher Kelman

Let’s move on to another picture!

So what do you think, ladies and gentlemen?

Any takers

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Yes Tom this would explain how to miss the important details of an image you should try a different library.

James
Now I get it.
You’re taking a lend. Having a laugh. You sucked me right in there, James.
Your sarcasm is brilliant.
Even had me believing you.

Wait til I tell my mates. They’ll give me heaps.

Last edited:

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Now you’re talking Nick.

“Doubt all knowledge; have faith in the unknown.
Seek out knowledge; leave the unknown alone”

from: The Dichotomy of Knowledge By Tom Dinning and others.

James Lemon

Forget for a moment about Tom! Let’s agree he is not up to our high standards and is no artist, poet or sage worth paying attention to.

Obviously in science, insurance, fire investigation or police work, flights of fancy are not allowed. So let’s exclude that class of photography.

Let’s switch to any National Gallery with Art of the last 100 years. Likely as not the have major collections of photography. But these are not for documenting anything AFAIK, (although documentary photographs of importance might also be collected).

Aren’t they photographs collected as accepted “Art” which inspires abstract thinking and personal imaginary projections.

Or perhaps you either don’t accept photographs as genuine “Art” or perhaps you ONLy accept photographs documenting real things,

......or just not not as poetic metaphors or playgrounds for dreamy even narcissistic folk to enter and muse therein?

Although it might be a result of my self-absorption, but I thought it was accepted that a photograph can do all that and more!

Asher

Asher

It must be art if it is displayed on the wall of a museum right?

James

James Lemon

Now I get it.
You’re taking a lend. Having a laugh. You sucked me right in there, James.
Your sarcasm is brilliant.
Even had me believing you.

Wait til I tell my mates. They’ll give me heaps.

Thanks Tom! I am sure you have some great pictures in your archives somewhere? I am reasonably sure that if you found six in your lifetime that would be an accomplishment. When you consider the pictures of the elite and the pictures that they are known for, they don't add up to many.

It would appear to me that editing must play a larger role in the process than photography itself. But please Tom try not to overwhelm us with too many pictures all at once. Oh yes it would also be nice if you didn't mix B&W with color in your presentations,just saying.

James

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Obviously! LOL
But not only that!
Art can be hidden for years before the artist is known.....
Museums are not the only place where art can be exhibited, I would only mention street art (of which I am rarely a fan).
Art has its place where the artist wants to exhibit it... anywhere...

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Thanks Tom! I am sure you have some great pictures in your archives somewhere? I am reasonably sure that if you found six in your lifetime that would be an accomplishment. When you consider the pictures of the elite and the pictures that they are known for, they don't add up to many.

It would appear to me that editing must play a larger role in the process than photography itself. But please Tom try not to overwhelm us with too many pictures all at once. Oh yes it would also be nice if you didn't mix B&W with color in your presentations,just saying.

James

james, do you know where we are?
This is OPF not MOMA.
I’m a wanker from Australia who likes taking pictures and taking the piss.
I like all my pictures.
That doesn’t mean they are world shattering or even worthy of hanging in a gallery.
That’s one reason I post them here. It’s just you and a few others who share when they have the urge.
There’s no imposition to comment, like or dislike, as Asher might want.
You don’t even have an obligation to read this.
And the only rule is to be nice to each other. But you’re testing my patience. And you know what I’m like when I get riled.
So, could you take your idiotic requests and place them in a dark place.
Overwhelmed indeed.
Im gobsmacked!
Dumbfounded.
Lost for words .........

Asher Kelman

Duchampian as all get out.

Peter,

I usually do well on metaphors. So I thought, “This has something to do with either “taking the piss” or being “kissed off”.

But then, “As all can get out”? Get out of one’s bladder or what, LOL?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Tom,

This kind of image sample in the street interests me as it draws attention to the fabric of social society where people take a break just to relax and chat fitted in between activities. What we seem to be seeing is part of the “social glue” process that is the underpinnings of all societies.

The act of stopping just to “catch-up” and acknowledge one another.

This could very well fit in with any of Pieter Brueghel’s master piece village scenes!

Robert watcher also, catches folk in this way, but here, time has stopped!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Tom

as Nike says JUST DO IT! Everything is a teacher albiet you me or others. I really thought the old man photo was striking in its lesson ...progressions forward! There is no should" sing your song..dance your dance
let nothing contain you in that little box of rules I think what we aee is part of us and part of something else...a strong energy toward beauty and thats me 3 cents in

Charlotte

Charlotte Thompson

Let’s move on to another picture!

So what do you think, ladies and gentlemen?

Any takers

Asher

I have my ticket! Very human and genial. The man lookking slightly to the right of the woman looks as if he is caressing something ver small an animal or a small child his delight makes me smile! and I do not do "shoulds " and I have none this photo reminds me of you! yes you!

Charlotte

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Very funny Nicolas 🆒
Yeah, Nick is a barrel of laughs these days.

the bloke with the hands is about to caresse the woman around her face. She had just announce something important to the man. My Italian doesn’t go far enough to catch what it was.

I would have preferred the man to be touching the woman but my timing was off.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Yeah, Nick is a barrel of laughs these days.

the bloke with the hands is about to caresse the woman around her face. She had just announce something important to the man. My Italian doesn’t go far enough to catch what it was.

I would have preferred the man to be touching the woman but my timing was off.
Now Tom, you "spoil" my imagination!
No one needs to know about the mosquito, the dog or whatever is out of the frame! The mystery does vanish :(
The rest of my posts here where just humor and jokes, like friends having some red wine together in a wine cellar (might be because they were not able to assume any mystery…, who knows. Yes WHO knows ;))