• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Thread about the update.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Robert,

Thanks for the extra effort! I appreciate the links.

We may be OK now. Just need to look at behavior within the website that the links work in a secure fashion.

I hope you will find it’s perfect now!

If there is anything to be done to our site, Slavic, our developer for XenForo from the UK, has been given the links you provided to check we are set correctly!

We have Russ here but his work is limited to the esthetics!

Meanwhile I am putting together a wish list for

1. a gallery with a light box for incoming images, tagging and assigning to to galkeries with the photographers preferences up to them to input.

2. A landing page photo news blog and pointers to our best pictures from over the years.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

Signature length is limited to 30 characters now. Which makes it next to impossible to put in anything meaningful in the signature. The migrated signatures from the old forum are working but when one wants to edit the signature in the new forum, one comes across this limitation. Which has happened to me. Can you please make the signatures longer, at least 128 characters or so? Thanks.

Asher Kelman

Cem,

Gradually, with pointers for folk here, searching the web, (threads on Xenforo Community forum and then Slavic, the hired developer, in the U.K.), I find the solutions in steering the OPF ship with its new XenForo trilithium engine!

What amazes me is that I cannot fathom even basic trilithium!

But we are moving!

I appreciate veryone’s forbearance

Asher

Asher Kelman

No problem, Michael, how much time would you think we need?

We don’t really want earlier posts that are referenced to change.

So give your best judgement and I will adjust the time set!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

No problem, Michael, how much time would you think we need?

We don’t really want earlier posts that are referenced to change.

Some forums block editing if there have been any replies (with maybe a short period before that comes into effect). Can we do that here?

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Some forums block editing if there have been any replies (with maybe a short period before that comes into effect). Can we do that here?

Best regards,

Doug
Doug,

That’s a great feature but not currently in XenForo forum software we use.

Suggest a time that’s reasonable.

Obviously don’t edit to make replies logical “non sequiturs” or orphans!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Some forums I am member of don't block editing at all because their members are civilized enough to not alter a post in a way that existing answers are affected.

Why would one want to edit a posting?
Most common reasons I see:
  • Removing typos
  • Additions to keep all information in one post (Usually preceded by 'Edited to add:')
So - we act civilized here or not?

Michael

Asher Kelman

With two votes for “Civilized” that’s a strong statement!

All those changes should be done in 1 month!

So for now, let’s move to that if I can.

I want to protect much older threads.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks for the direction!

You can now edit for up to 50,000 hours!

?

That seems wiser than 1 hr!

Does that work?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks for the direction!

You can now edit for up to 50,000 hours!

?

That seems wiser than 1 hr!

Does that work?

Asher
Sure, it is very generous, thanks.
Mind you, this only applies to posts created in this forum and not to the ones which are migrated from the old forum. I have tested it, that's how I know. :)

Asher Kelman

Cem,

I am operating well above my pay grade for software manipulations. Still I will try to meet any suggestions.

It’s not any burden, we need feedback to optimize your user experience, so any suggestions are welcome.

How to implement requests is another matter. My two hired helpers are experts in design and migration and very busy. So I am going to look for a XenForo developer who can customize galleries for us and so we might be able to develop new capabilities such as sales, where folk want that.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

I am operating well above my pay grade for software manipulations. Still I will try to meet any suggestions.

It’s not any burden, we need feedback to optimize your user experience, so any suggestions are welcome.

How to implement requests is another matter. My two hired helpers are experts in design and migration and very busy. So I am going to look for a XenForo developer who can customize galleries for us and so we might be able to develop new capabilities such as sales, where folk want that.

Asher
Hi Asher,

But of course, I did not write what I wrote as a criticism, far from it. It was just to inform others that they would not be able to edit their posts from the old forum, but that only makes sense anyway. I really appreciate all your work my friend, trust me on that. :)

Asher Kelman

I never doubt you Cem.

You, Jerome, Nicolas, Maggie and others keep me on track and are all valued advisers.

Asher

sorry, if I seem quite ignorant, Asher, but how exactly do I share a youtube video here? When I want to add a video, it wants me to upload from my computer.
I would much rather link to the youtube video, but not just a link, an actual smaller version of the video that may intrigue some to click on to see
in bigger and better resolution.
Maggie

Peter Dexter

Asher I would like to see a symbol, color or something that clearly distinguishes between posts I have made containing an image versus posts I have made that are a response to some one else's thread when I view my "content". Better yet separate "content" options one containing my posted images and the other containing my comments. This would make it much easier to avoid posting an image again that I have already posted. It is true that the content is currently distinguished by bold and italic type versus standard but the difference could be more distinct.

Asher Kelman

sorry, if I seem quite ignorant, Asher, but how exactly do I share a youtube video here? When I want to add a video, it wants me to upload from my computer.
I would much rather link to the youtube video, but not just a link, an actual smaller version of the video that may intrigue some to click on to see
in bigger and better resolution.
Maggie
look at the first icon on the left. I believe “media” allows you to upload from various sources!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher I would like to see a symbol, color or something that clearly distinguishes between posts I have made containing an image versus posts I have made that are a response to some one else's thread when I view my "content". Better yet separate "content" options one containing my posted images and the other containing my comments. This would make it much easier to avoid posting an image again that I have already posted. It is true that the content is currently distinguished by bold and italic type versus standard but the difference could be more distinct.

Let me contemplate that.

We have a Gallery Section that I am building for OPF

1. We will have a keyworderd searchable gallery just in your name!

2. Anything you upload will go to your own storage gallery. From that you will have a “Portfolio Gallery” to show off your work to browsing visitors or friends!

3. In addition we will select the best of these pictures to make a “Showcase Gallery@ for our entire OPF community with options to Licence or Purchase prints for those photographers invited and choosing to do so!

4. Everything will be searchable

you will easily check what you have uploaded and where it is!

Asher

Robert Watcher

EMBEDDING YOUTUBE VIDEO IN POST:

————————

————————-

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

Here is a nice page to explain the use of the different BB codes (image, video, code, gallery, etc) within posts with this software:

(All the buttons at the top do is generate the BB code automatically, but you can enter it manually as well)

——-

Doug Kerr

Hi, Robert,

Here is a nice page to explain the use of the different BB codes (image, video, code, gallery, etc) within posts with this software:

(All the buttons at the top do is generate the BB code automatically, but you can enter it manually as well)

Vary nice and handy. Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

The thread is worth updating with new challenges for me to attend to!

. I just need to get another programmer!

Asher