• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Underground Stations have their own beauty

Michael,

What Antonio, Nicolas, I, and Others are telling you is that this is the only kind of commentary you are going to get. We all love your imagery.

We love the clarity, crispness, and tone. We love the composition, subject matter, and feeling that all this creates. We love the symmetry when it's present...and when it's not.

Speaking for myself, this is one of the most consistent, compelling, inspiring, bodies of work I have ever seen.

I don't post often on this forum but I am here every day.

Keep 'em comin'...please.

Michael Nagel

Thank you!

Antonio, Nicolas, Winston,

Thank you! The passion for this started with an occasion to shoot in the Underground with tripod - as this was unusual I gave it a try and saw underground stations with a different eye from that moment. First I saw it as an opportunity to shoot when the weather outside was too bad, now this has become one of my passions.

Architecture is something that fascinates me for several reasons:
First there are shapes, lines. colours, and textures.
Second - it is man-made and in general intended for humans, so human presence, directly or the traces add.
Third - it is always an expression of the time where it was planned and built, a snapshot of human history.

Right now I have developed an interest for brutalist architecture. This style was only short-lived and is not that popular, but a very interesting sight. Currently I only identified two buildings in that style in Munich. I will have to see these.

I will carry on with this series.

Best regards,
Michael

Martin Stephens

The first two in particular are very engaging. I love them. The whole subject matter is beautiful and I wish I was there to shoot it too! I'd be there a lot.

I wouldn't be too worried about allowing people to have a more prominent role in the foreground. If there is one quibble I have in general, it is that there is a sterile nature to them. If you want that, fine, but I think they would be more romantic and jazzy with a shoulder or head or leg or arm being in the foreground on some. Anyway, nice shooting.

Michael Nagel

Martin - Thanks, the pictures are like I want them to be. Shooting people and publishing the photos has more legal implications here in Europe than for example in the USA.

To carry on, here is one of the less interesting stations. It follows the most widespread scheme - one long platform with a line of columns in the middle, access on both ends of the platform. There are many stations like this one, the only variation is the color scheme and sometimes the shape of the columns.

Along the border on one side:

Wall pattern:

Center view:

Detail of the pattern created by the light:

Best regards,
Michael

Paul Abbott

Hey Michael, it's good to hear you having an interest in Brutalism. I have an interest in it too but purely for photographic reasons. Here in London we still have a fair few examples of this period of architecture. It was mainly used in building social housing and so ended up incurring a stigma and a bad name for itself and no one ended up appreciating it...

I can name a few examples: Trellick Tower, National Theatre, and the Barbican Estate all here in London.

Michael Nagel

Doug,

Thank you!

Simple things can be fun - even if I try to take a different route from time to time.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Hi Paul,

Yes, my interest is mainly photographic, but also the history of Brutalism.
Brutalism, but also Modern Architecture in general are interesting subjects - not only for photographic reasons.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

The tile is immaculate! They must have a major maintenance and cleaning program.

How do you get them so devoid of people? Is this late at night or are you using a very slow exposure to get rid of people. I can't look at the EXIF from my wife's imac, LOL!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

Your photographic series of Munich metro stations is an exceptional devotional project you have given yourself. The care you take in choice of taking position and angles is without question startlingly precise. You seem to have an natural recognition of compositions which are while entertaining and engaging, actually are also informative as to how the system might function as you add a factor of clarity. Including pictures with a sprinkling of people, makes them more than just a representation of magnificent building and art alone. We imagine function and dynamics too.

I'm so impressed that folk take the place of art in public places seriously. The work done in the Munich underground stations appears to be of exceptional quality, but the investment in maintenance is really exemplary! I plan to start traveling the relatively new metro stations in Los Angeles to view the architecture and art. I would be most surprised if it is not already marred by debris and poor maintenance. Perhaps, this is a source of pride to the ridership and the crews assigned to look after it. I look forward to being surprised. Still, the standards set by the Munich system will be hard to match! Still, I'll investigate and likely as not, I'll have a camera with me! I have no delusions that we could match your accomplishment in Munich, but I'll give it a fair shot one of these days!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Hi Asher,

For me there is something fascinating about the U-Bahn here in Munich. It is a space many people use to get from one place to another. It is cleary 'No place to stay' (as a reference to another series). The subway trains use standard railway gauge which puts them on the larger side. The stations are large (with a few exceptions) and most are well designed and well-kept. Still - few people passing there notice.
This is just my view of a space few people notice and appreciate, so I hope more will do. The difference between a dull station and a pleasant station os often not that much if you look on the cost, but it is certainly an enrichment. This is why I want to show my appreciation throuigh my pictures.

Three more - a 'new' station and I have to return to that station (and sorry to Chris, but the colours are getting more intense now):

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Hi Winston,

This was taken with 35mm on APS-C. Different style? I cannot tell. There are two reasons for this perspective.
The bridge-like structure spanning the rails seems odd on the first look. There are stairs on one side plus the elevator and only the elevator on the other side.
The bridge is the only possibility for people needing the elevator to get from one side to the other within the station.
Both elevators go to the surface. The layout of the station is here.
It appears to me that the bridge was there from the beginning and the elevators were added later.

So why this view?
I wanted to show this by the alingment stairs in the foreground, elevator and stairs in the background.
You need the context of the other pictures of this station to see this.

Why 35mm? I could have used a longer focal length for a better effect but did not want to change the lens.

I used longer focal lengths on other occasions in this thread like the second one of this station (taken with 45mm on µ4/3).

Best regards,
Michael